RNIB get into the 3D TV debate


July 7, 2009

The Royal National Institute for Blind People (RNIB) is getting involved in the debate on whether or not 3D TV should be standardised.

The UK’s broadcasters are not all on the same page when it comes to how 3D TV could be rolled out as currently there is BSkyB’s version which can use the Sky+ HDTV set top box and current infrastructure, or there is the full resolution per eye standard, both of which work although Sky’s proposal would be the quicker route for bringing the technology to market.

However, it is the same old VHS versus Betamax competition with room for only one standard and the RNIB is concerned that the introduction of 3D TV could mean that many viewers with sight problems are unable to watch TV at all.

This is why the RNIB is calling for national and international standards to be set.

Should 3D TV go ahead without any standards in place, the RNIB estimates that over 200,000 blind and partially sighted viewers would be affected.






 

Comments in chronological order (2 comments)

  1. Gareth Evans says:

    OK. But if, conservatively, 20m people watch tele during any one day then that 200,000 represents just 1% of viewers. So do the other 99% not get 3D TV ?

  2. TV Packages says:

    It will be interesting to see how 3D TV takes off. Will people really be willing to upgrade to a 3D Ready TV after only just upgrading to an HD Ready TV? Time will tell.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visited 2079 times, 2 so far today