UK Xbox sales sneak ahead of PS3 in 2010

Darren Allan

January 6, 2011

The Xbox 360 narrowly outdid the PS3 in the UK last year, according to the latest figures from the Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (UKIE).

The Xbox managed to generate £232 million in revenue, which pipped the PS3 on £229 million, but there’s not exactly a lot in it. This represented a combined number of hardware units shifted totalling 2.3 million, which was the same as achieved in 2009.

Overall, the gross total generated in 2010 from the sale of all console hardware, games and console/pc gaming accessories added up to £2.88 billion. That was down over 10% on the previous year, however, which witnessed a total of £3.3 billion.

UKIE also noted the “soaring” popularity of casual social network gaming, which achieved revenue of $60 million this year.

Mike Rawlinson, Director General of UKIE, commented: “Despite 2010 being a tough year for the economy, the video games and interactive entertainment industry continues to perform strongly.”

“As the UK’s leading creative industry, these figures demonstrate the increasingly popular position of video games in everyone’s everyday lives, and the strength that the sector has to see it through tough times.”

1. MarkG says:

This article is clearly misleading, as the PS3 retails for more, it clearly sold more UNITS.

2. Darren Allan says:

Why is it misleading? It clearly talks about sales/revenue when comparing the two, the UKIE press release didn’t mention the breakdown of units shifted (only the total number of units sold between both consoles combined), so I couldn’t state that.

At any rate, with the PS3 retailing for more, I think you’ll find that means it sold less units, not more.

3. Michael says:

Clearly there is no mention of numbers because PS3 DID sell more.. this is Major SPIN to make 360 appear better. The Winning Revenue is from Games and the Kinect… NOT Consoles sold.

360 is loosing to the PS3 in all countries except US and 360 is loosing World Wide overall.

The superior Console (PS3) is selling more.. no matter how much spin articles come out.

4. Darren Allan says:

No, the revenue is from console hardware sales only… as stated in the article, the total revenue from hardware, games and peripherals adds up to nearly £3 billion, way more than £200 million.

At any rate, again as I stated, there’s not much in it either way (in the UK).

5. myhero4000 says:

outsold meaning units not how much they earned….stupid article

6. Darren Allan says:

Fair enough, have edited outsold… but the fact that it was revenue is stated clearly enough.

7. Gman says:

So if more people buy vauxhall corsas does that make them better than Bentley Continentals?
    Hmmm….

8. Brian Turner says:

Good analogy with cars – I drive a car that will get me from a to b, have features I’d like, and so long as it runs fine, that’s all I need to know.

If I obsessed as to whether my model of car were selling better than other models, that the manufacturer was making more money out of me than other manufacturers with their customers, I might rightly be labelled an idiot. :)

9. anon says:

The writer of this article is clearly an xbox fan boy. Either that or the Title for this article is completely incorrect.

10. Peter says:

hang on, if the 360 sells for less but brings in more then it clearly has sold more units than the more expensive item. pretty basic math really, so the article title is correct.

11. MikeS says:

There’s nothimg wrong with this article unless you’re a hopeless fanboy.

PS3 fanboy, This article sucks because it doesn’t tell me want I want to hear.

Xbox fanboy, This article sucks because it doesn’t explain that Xbox must have sold more consoles because the Xbox is cheaper.

Everyone else, This is a mildly interesting article about sales data.

The End.