Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Other discussions > DIY

DIY General discussion about DIY: plumbing, heating, electrics and building work.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-11, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default combi boiler problem

Hi,
I have a Ideal Isar HE24 combi boiler.

Both hot water and central heating work ok. But when the central heating "kicks in" the boiler makes a load whining noise. The vibration/noise seems to be comming from the diverter valve.
The switch/lever seems to opertae correctly ie when hot water is demanded the switch moves automatically to the correct position and also when central heating is demanded the lever moves to the heating postion..
The problem is the noise when the central heating is called for..When this happens i can temporarily get rid of the noise by running the hot water tap anywhere in the house for a short time. But when the hot water tap is closed ie turned off after a while the diverter valve moves to the central heating position and the noise comes back..
Is the diverter valve faulty..
Is the problem the valve head, the valve behind the head or the manifold..
Do i need to replace one of these or can i repair the part in question with service bits?
I have even seen service parts for the valve Do these go in the head or the valve body..Thanks
The diverter valve is labelled as
the honeywell vc6012-34 actuator........ 40004797-003
abdul.jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-11, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: combi boiler problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul.jabbar View Post
Hi,
I have a Ideal Isar HE24 combi boiler.

Both hot water and central heating work ok. But when the central heating "kicks in" the boiler makes a load whining noise. The vibration/noise seems to be comming from the diverter valve.
The switch/lever seems to opertae correctly ie when hot water is demanded the switch moves automatically to the correct position and also when central heating is demanded the lever moves to the heating postion..
The problem is the noise when the central heating is called for..When this happens i can temporarily get rid of the noise by running the hot water tap anywhere in the house for a short time. But when the hot water tap is closed ie turned off after a while the diverter valve moves to the central heating position and the noise comes back..
Is the diverter valve faulty..
Is the problem the valve head, the valve behind the head or the manifold..
Do i need to replace one of these or can i repair the part in question with service bits?
I have even seen service parts for the valve Do these go in the head or the valve body..Thanks
The diverter valve is labelled as
the honeywell vc6012-34 actuator........ 40004797-003

Sounds like the fan is goosed
Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-11, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mate,
Thaks for the quick reply...
good thing i did not buy the diverter valve..
The fan looks easier to replace..
Is it a replcement that is needed or can it be fixed

Looking at the manual it looks as if you can remove fan and venyri assembly and clean as part of a service

Last edited by abdul.jabbar; 22-03-11 at 10:30 PM. Reason: more info
Old 22-03-11, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is the fan not turning or getting stuck?
during hot water all is well but on central heating radiaters are hot so works but noise..
Old 23-03-11, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Are you registered to work on that appliance ?

Changing a wet part on a boiler is one thing, but when you start breaking combustion seals you are putting yourself and your family at risk if you get any part of it wrong. My advice is to make sure whoever repairs your boiler is competant to do it.

Last edited by Rick; 23-03-11 at 02:56 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-11, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Are you registered to work on that appliance ?

Changing a wet part or a boiler is one thing, but when you start breaking combustion seals you are putting yourself and your family at risk if you get any part of it wrong. My advice is to make sure whoever repairs your boiler is competant to do it.
Like rick said , get someone in who is qualified .

Sounds like the fan is grinding ( common fault ) and needs to be replaced .
Old 23-03-11, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys.
No im not registered. Ive got the electrical 2330 level 3 and understand basic diy.

Only asked just incase it was a very simple fix and did not want to get ripped off.
Strangely though, yesterday i noticed the hum from one of the radiators and even though i had bled all the raditors without it making difference before.. I fully opened both ends the thermostat and the other side which has improved the noise.
Previously i thought the hum on the raditers was simlpy the noise from the boiler itself vibrating down the pipe.

I think i will drain the system and add some cleaner and inhibiter and if this does not work get someone to replace the fan..
Replacing the fan looks staright forward only a couple of screws according to the manual.
What would be a resonable price for labour for this job?
Old 23-03-11, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.
No im not registered. Ive got the electrical 2330 level 3 and understand basic diy.

Only asked just incase it was a very simple fix and did not want to get ripped off.
Strangely though, yesterday i noticed the hum from one of the radiators and even though i had bled all the raditors without it making difference before.. I fully opened both ends the thermostat and the other side which has improved the noise.
Previously i thought the hum on the raditers was simlpy the noise from the boiler itself vibrating down the pipe.

I think i will drain the system and add some cleaner and inhibiter and if this does not work get someone to replace the fan..
Replacing the fan looks staright forward only a couple of screws according to the manual.
Where do you live mate ??
Old 24-03-11, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ask friends and family for a recommendation, even neighbours. That can be a really good way of getting a good tradesman. Without actually examining the boiler we are just taking an educated guess at it being the fan. It could be something much simpler. If you haven't had it serviced in a while, it could well be worth doing when you get it repaired.
Old 24-03-11, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Be very careful about adding any form of corrosion inhibitor into a system that has not been dosed regularly - it can have an adverse effect on pipes where there are joints and eat away at rust and scale which is often all that holds the joints together!