Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Home Media

Home Media Home entertainment technology and systems, such as audio and hi-fi, home cinema, set ups, and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-11, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VGA cable in tv will not work! Please help me :)

Hey, I have just brought a new vga to vga cable (both male from what i have read online) so that I can connect my laptop to my tv (which is also only a few months old so has all the right sockets and things). But when the cable is plugged into the tv, regardless of being plugged into my laptop or not, will not work. It doesn't do anything. Its as if it isn't even plugged into the mains. Nothing else works on it, eg Sky or my dvd player and everything has to be reset when the VGA cable is removed from the tv.

The tv is a Logik HD ready 1080p. I have no idea what any of this means but I'm pretty sure it should at least turn on so that an error message can show or something!

Please help someone as I have been trying to fix this all day!
katebaillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
G77
Super Moderator

Default Re: VGA cable in tv will not work! Please help me :)

try right clicking on the desktop and going through the graphics properties,

or, go to control pannel and find the display settings
G77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, but what do i change on the graphics properties or on the display settings?
Old 10-04-11, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
G77
Super Moderator

urm, the output device, if its listed
G77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you look at the top set of buttons on the keyboard you may see some icons in blue.
Hold down the function button (Fn) and then press the the key that has a screen/tv icon. Alternatively, there may be a setting in bios that has "display output to" or something similar. If you have this you can change there.

Last resort is to connect the cable before switching on the laptop. If it sees an external display whilst booting it should use that as default. Some will clone the display others will switch off the built in screen.
abu baniaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

look on the f4 key or around there, there will be a pic of a lcd screen, now you need to press the FN bbutton and the F4 key (or which ever it is), it will cyle round in three stages, press FN + F4 and this will switch VGA on (to your telly) and turn your laptop screen off, press FN+F4 again and it will turn both screens on, and again will turn your telly off and your laptop on , a cycle of 3 options. It takes a few seconds to switch.
Lacutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have tried this. And everything to do with the laptop works, as it states that its connected but you cannot turn on the tv and when I set the tv to an extention of the tv the mouse continues to move off the screen where I can't see it (only in one direction) so I presume I am connecting it properly and the there is something wrong with the tv.

Is this possible? Should I try connecting with a different port in the tv, eg. a HDMI port?

Please, do you have any ideas what could be wrong with my tv?
Old 10-04-11, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

The basic cause is that the screen resolution is not liked by the TV. You'll need to adjust this. As posted above, right click on the desktop and you should have an option for screen resolution. You may also have a shortcut on the bottom right of the task bar to quickly select output/screen resolution.

If you have a hdmi output on your laptop, then you can try that too. This would actually be a better solution if your laptop has drivers to send the audio through the hdmi cable. Otherwise, you will need another cable for the sound.
abu baniaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 02:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

screen resolution as abu baniaz said

also after you looked at that right click on desktop scroll down to proerties then hit setting if you have 2 screens its picked it up

hope it helps

oh i forgot have you tried the lead anywhere else a mates laptop? or gear then you will know if it's not working

Last edited by Dazza2008; 11-04-11 at 03:00 AM.
Dazza2008 is offline   Reply With Quote