Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Other discussions > DIY

DIY General discussion about DIY: plumbing, heating, electrics and building work.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-07, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default worcester-bosch 24i combi boiler

now got a problem with my shower after having the above boiler installed.
before getting boiler installed i checked with shower manufacturer to make sure it could be used with a combi boiler, they and the boiler installers said this would be ok as long as it is " balanced correctly" whatever that means.
Shower has never really been right, seem to have trouble getting any hot water through it, the hot water does come but then goes cold again for long periods of time.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong.Should I be calling out the company who installed the boiler? Any info would be gratefully received.
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: worcester-bosch 24i combi boiler

What type of shower is it? It should be a thermostatically controlled mixer type. The main problem with a combi boiler is the hotter the water gets the lower the flow rate through it. If you can give any more info I might be able to help more.
kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for reply.the shower is a Bristan Collonnade. To be honest it seems to have corrected itself, dont know how, but definitely better than it was, maybe the pipes needed time to adjust or something. Dont know if you are heating engineer but another slight problem is that when the boiler starts up there is a low vibrating sound coming from it.this settles down once the heater is up and running. The low vibrating sound( it wakes my daughter up) stops if i lightly put my hand against the casing of the boiler.It is obviously caused by some pipe or valvue within the boiler vibrating against casing.
Should I get the heating engineers out who fixed the boiler to have a look at it, or is there something simple I can do, as it stops as i said as soon as i place my hand on the casing to stop the vibrating.

Any info much appreciated.
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-07, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, sorry for the delay in the reply. Been mad busy. Bristain are one of the better makes of showers, I've not fitted your model myself and can't find it on the bristain web site. A common problem on the temp side of things is the temperature regulator may not have been set or could have stuck if the problem has corrected itself.

Another problem could be if the combi was fit to replace an old system of an indirect boiler and hot water tank. The pipe size for the hot water side of things in the bathroom would be 22mm. This would aid the gravity feed. The combi gives hot water at near mains pressure so 15mm is adiquate to maintain the pressure. 22mm could cause some pressure drop but hopefully the shower is a pressure regulating one to balance the hot and cold.

The vibration of the boiler sounds like the outer case may not be located properly or on quite square. There only fixed by locating on clips at the back and a couple of screws for fixing on the front behind the drop down panel.

Hope it helps.
kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-08, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'd go back to where you got the boiler from. I got mine from Worcester Bosch Boiler Worcester Bosch Combi Boiler Greenstar Junior 24i and they were really helpful when I had a problem.
jennyhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

a common problem with mixer showers and combi,s is ,

The combi struggles to push to the water out with the combined pressure of the cold water in the mixer shower , as the hot water from the combi is not leaving the shower mixer or pipes freely and fast enough the water temp inside the combi hits max so the combi will halt the burner , as its meant to , hence a hot and cold shower !!
cbrpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
FTA only,sky free home

Location: bwlchgwyn, 1375 Ft,highest village in Wales,Wrexham County

I have a Worcester bosch heatslave 65, put on a shower myself, the feed is
down to the shower, not fed up, never had a problem.(boiler upstairs,shower
on lower floor.

I agree some of my pipes are 22mm as a result of change from gravity feed.
however alls well now , after the flow from hot water to CH, had a fault and would not switch over, after a couple of call outs, W B admitted all boilers from a certain batch had the faulty part(after a year it showed up)managed to get my money back for the call outs, I am sure the part replaced(electric) had the gate sticking to hot water, anyhow a phone call to W B is always met with excellent service. W B engineer had been told to keep the fault quiet, but said over 100 had complained, he said he could not understand why WB had not done the proper thing and changed
all customers valves, because the lot in that batch would eventually fail.

Bob

Last edited by merlodlliw; 08-01-09 at 09:21 AM.
merlodlliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi, I have this Bosch boiler which has been fantastic. I have now started to experience a fluctuation in the water temperature. Sometimes when I try to fill the bath all I can get is luke warm water or cold water but at other times it seems to be not too bad. Is there something on the settings which need adjusting - I have just requested a service anyway from Bosch, will a service sort out this probelm for me? The shower head, which I run off this combi boiler via the taps over the bath, has become a nightmare I have to turn the tap on full to get some sort of hot water - before I just turned it on half way round and the water was plenty hot enough.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
victorsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
FTA only,sky free home

Location: bwlchgwyn, 1375 Ft,highest village in Wales,Wrexham County

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsj View Post
Hi, I have this Bosch boiler which has been fantastic. I have now started to experience a fluctuation in the water temperature. Sometimes when I try to fill the bath all I can get is luke warm water or cold water but at other times it seems to be not too bad. Is there something on the settings which need adjusting - I have just requested a service anyway from Bosch, will a service sort out this probelm for me? The shower head, which I run off this combi boiler via the taps over the bath, has become a nightmare I have to turn the tap on full to get some sort of hot water - before I just turned it on half way round and the water was plenty hot enough.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
What price are you paying for the service?, when I thought I had a problem, WB quoted me 210 which incluides call out and any parts
plus call back if not fixed in 30 days. I dont know the service price, but I bet its over 100?. Anyhow is the CH OK or is that on the blink, I have two temp switches for CH and hot water, perhaps if you have the same
one may be on the blink,

1. is the pressure Ok, look at the dial it should be at one bar if cold,then rise to 1.3 or 2 bar when running the hot water have a look, turn up the water temp switch.

2.Do you have to keep recharging the water pressure?

3. Mine is a oil heatslave combi (12 years old), the hot water on middle setting is very hot in the shower.

4.The mains water this time of year is very cold anyway,

5.Dont forget WB have already taken any costs from your card, it is
a naughty way they do this without telling you, my bank told me on the
debit card I have, WB have called 210 before the visit, I have this arrangement with the bank for mystery charges.

6. before you spend a lot of dosh, it may well be the shower head,if this is
adjustable for temp, try this first.

7.A service wont solve your problems, a service will just clean the soot,
and if oil change the nossle on the pressure jet area. So check the
areas I have quoted first. The engineer will know if there is a problem without letting on, if its WB faulty parts, I found this out from web sites years ago.

Bob hope this helps.

Last edited by merlodlliw; 08-03-09 at 07:07 PM.
merlodlliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-09, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

worcester bosch 24i has had nothing but trouble with this boiler it keeps flashing fault so just shuts off have to wait some time to get it back on but other times have to call british gas cover they have been out numerous time can anyone help it is the same every winter.
traceydylan is offline   Reply With Quote