Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-06, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Default Daisy chaining DISEqC Switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro
Hello.

Can you tell me if it's possible to daisy-chain diseqc switches, i.e. one into four, and then each of those four into four more?
Also, is it possible to combine diseqc switches and diseqc motors?

Thank you
Help i've run out of connections on my Diseqc switch. I need five or Six connections (depending if i keep my Televes dish). Can i add another 2 or 4 way diseqc switch into the system. :?

My receiver can run diseqc 1.1. How would i set this up.

Nano
nanochickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

Default Re: Daisy chaining DISEqC Switches

Remember this thread?

A standard DiSEqC switch has a maximum of four inputs. If you want to run more than that then you will need to either:

a) Run two receivers, each with a 4-way DiSEqC switch

b) Use a 12V relay to switch between two 4-way switches

c) Introduce a manual A/B switch to split your coax in two once indoors and run two 4-way DiSEqC's.

d) Use an 'uncommitted' DiSEqC switch, like the Spaun SUR 220 F to cascade two regular 4-way DiSEqC's.

e) If anyone knows of an 'e' then please let me know

You can't use ordinary DiSEqC switches in a cascade. It just doesn't work.

Be aware though, that these uncommitted switches are not as cheap and standard ones, and there's not a lot of choice on either makes or sources. You'll probably have to go to Germany to get one.

Here's a neat article on these little beauties.

The problem with them though, is that they need an additional layer of switch control. A kind of double-command. The first instructs the uncommitted switch, and the second then passes through that switch and commands the second. You have to introduce a slight delay between the two instructions.

More importantly, your receiver must be able to take that configuration and I'm not sure yours does

The Dreambox does though!

Old 04-11-06, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Thats a bugger that one is. Looks like i might be loosing the minidish then
Old 04-11-06, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Feedhunter

hi guys i see in the tm 1500s thay have diseqc 1.1 this can do up to 16 lnbs.iv not tryed bigger switches than 4 way.but i have heard of them german 1s that do more.
hope this is of some help.
all the best.
from sid
satsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

I've seen uncommitted switches which do 8 and 16 LNBs, but not a regular switch. I'd be interested to hear of any specific devices that folks come across which might help in this situation.

Only STBs with advanced DiSEqC configuration capabilities can manage uncommitted switches. Check your firmware. You can only allocate LNBs 1 to 4

I don't see what's wrong with an A/B switch myself. It certainly saves all that powering up and down and plugging and unplugging.

OK, so you have to get out of your arm chair, but hey... come on!

Less than a tenner.

I own and use several from time to time. Especially handy when setting up and testing, where you keep wanting to connect/disconnect LNBs.
Old 05-12-06, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Quote:
I've seen uncommitted switches which do 8 and 16 LNBs, but not a regular switch.
I've found these on ebay. From what i can see it conforms to DISEqC 1.2 Standard and will work under 1.1 standard aswell

Ebay numbers 160057893700 and 190056658333

Do you think this would do the trick to allow me to add another two dishes. :?

Hope It does, If it works I can go out and buy them.

Nano

Old 05-12-06, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

Hard to tell, as I can't quite read the writing on them. Looks like it might include an uncommitted switch, which is cool, but still don't know how your receiver is going to switch it without some help... :?
Old 09-12-06, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Decided to bite the bullet and i've gone out and purchased one of those 8way DISEqC switches with the help of the funds i got for my old FortecStar Lifetime Classic receiver on Fleabay this morning.

Quote:
Only STBs with advanced DiSEqC configuration capabilities can manage uncommitted switches. Check your firmware. You can only allocate LNBs 1 to 4
Checked the firmware on my receiver and it can do 16 switches using DISEqC 1.1 which the switch and the receiver supports. If it doesn't it will be an excellent excuse to go out and buy a DreamBox 500 to play with before i bite the bullet and go for one of the DB7000 Series

Its going to be Astra 1 19.2e on the Sky Minidish (Should be OK in the Midlands hopefully)
Eutelsat W2 16e and Eutelsat W1 10e on the one 80cm dish (May upgrade to 100cm dish if needed)
Hotbird 13e and Eutelsat W3a 7e on the other 80cm dish

And i'll be using the 90cm Televes dish to play around with the higher eastern sats such as Hellas Sat, Turksat, Express AM22 etc...

They should hopefully now have line of sight from their new positions in the garden. :clap:

I'm also looking at sticking a Zone 2 Sky dish on the front of the house. Hopefully it wont draw attention to the fact that i now have the Astra satellite uplink station in my back garden The new dish should hopefully allow me to get line of sight for Hispasat at 30w with a bit of luck :

Nano

Old 09-12-06, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

Cool. Full report expected on your switch setup

I'm sure you'll have to go for at least the 1m for 16E and 10E, with 16E in the clamp.

Good luck m8. You've got a lot of work coming up
Old 09-12-06, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technology Forums

I've managed to get most of the transponders on 16e with my 80cm dish so i may not need to upgrade

I only really want 16e for The National Geographic and Fox stuff thats open ATM. Then again i might purchase a DigitAlb card when i buy my DB500 so i might need the 1m dish then. :?

Nano