Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Help

Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-07, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fortec Star problems

[Edit - this thread has been split from another to keep it readable]

message to THEROOKIE

i hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread having just registered but I too am having serious problems with the Fortec Star Ultimate I got from Maplins.

I bought a package 79, it included a 90cm Dish, LNB, and the Fortec Star Beta receiver. This receiver was faulty and did nothing so I took it back and upgraded it to the Ultimate.
I am having similar problems with this too. I have to manually search the satellites using 1.2 as USALS finds absolutely nothing. When i do find sats, say hotbird and Astra, I can switch between the two fine till I turn off the receiver. Then it finds nothing and I have to manually find the sats again.

When I took the beta back they scanner it and said it was 79 which was the cost of the entire set up. So I spent the extra 80 and bought the Ultimate.
If I now go back with the ultimate receiver for a refund do I need to take the dish etc back or what? I havent a clue.

I find the fortec extremely hard to use. Although I am new to this I have done what other people on other forums have suggested and still remain with the same problems.

Has anyone here ever got a Fortec to work?

Thanks folks
ukscanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that you also having problems with Fortec. I guess you can just bring it to Maplin and ask'em to take that pile of you know what back. Not sure about the dish though.
As to usability, Fortec was incredibly difficult to use. Crazy menus, confusing messages and so on. I am sure that WAF would be a serious issue here.

I just bought Lemon 070 PVR (Inverto 7000) off eBay. It found my Diseqc switch without any problems and is bling scanning the whole system (too 3 hours so far). The quick scan was really quick but the full scan is VERY slow. It found more than 3000 channels on Astra 28.2 and Hotbird.
Not sure if I can use softcam or BISS with it (any help is greatly appreciated) but so far I am very satisfied with the 'box.
Unknown user #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I ask for a refund I need to take the whole lot back, dish the lot.

I dont fancy doing that but this Fortec is absolutely dire. Not even Fortec themselves when i called them today understood the problems. i was asked to email Saudi. Its all good and well but I need to explain to someone whats going on, or rather what isnt.

I need a new box but which one.
Old 06-03-07, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

One more thing.

When I spoke to maplins today he said it was me at error and never do ANY of these boxes come back from Fortec. I would love to get names of peope who have taken them back.

He thinks its me even though Fortec were clueless
Old 06-03-07, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

AFAIK, Maplin operate no-quibble return policy. Just take it back and tell'em that this box doesn't work with their own system.
I bought my Fortec from Maplins Milton Keynes. And I took it back within days - they took it; no questions asked.

How much did you pay for Ultimate if you don't mind me asking? The reason for this is that they also sell Fortec Zeta, which might be a better device but it oh-so-pricey on their website.

As to emailing Saudis, I have nothing against them but you bought device from UK store and you should rightfully expect to get support from UK people, not someone 3000 miles away.
Unknown user #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Standalone the Ultimate is 150. but, I bought the full set up. Fortec LNB Fortec Dish, and Fortec Beta Receiver. now, the receiver was faulty and so went back. As they didnt have any others in stock I had to upgrade and pay a further 80 on top of what I had already paid to get the Ultimate.

It does stand up to its name though. It really is the most ultimate piece of S@#t i have had the mosfortume of owning.

Now they are out of stock on the Ultimate I got the last one. If I take it back there is nothing to swap it with as I have a motor and their other boxes dont control the motor. (I am a novice as you can see)
So if I do return it, I will loose out. I paid 80 extra for the ultimate on top of the 79 already paid for the set up including the Beta, you see?

So where do I go from here. if I return to get a 80 refund I am still boxless
Old 06-03-07, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hope nobody thinks i was being rude when I said calling Saudi, but there are so many problems I couldnt explain them all in an email.

Aparently their tech guy is over there at the mo nd he appaently will respond to my email.

Do you know anyone else who has had the missfortune of owning a Fortec?
Old 06-03-07, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

In my opinion, you should take the box, the dish and everything else back to the shop you bought it in and demand a full refund. I think you've gone beyond the call of duty corresponding with unhelpful off-shore support facilities and you should buy a system you know will perform properly instead.

If you don't do it fairly quickly, you'll miss the opportunity and will probably regret it in the future. The Fortec dishes aren't great either.

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-03-07, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just spoke to maplins. He sad it was user error and they have never ever had two boxes back before. He said they wont refund unless it gets sent off for testing first to their HO. So I have to take everything down now, dish the lot as it came as part of a package.

They did offer me another box (99 one) but he said that will be exactly the same and you will have the same problems. Obviously thinking user error.

I have done everything I can. Last night I couldnt get hotbird, when I did there was only 4 chanells listed. I selected the box not to input scrambled or data chanels and the 4 channels that did come up were all data
Old 06-03-07, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry guys just thought I would let you know. I dont want to hijack your thread.
Will start another if I have any further problems