Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite News

Satellite News News from around the net that relates to satellite, receivers etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-07, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Digisales rep has been arrested and bailed by police for selling cards to pubs

Looks like SLY tries to keep its monopoly at all cost!

Mark Elsdon, of Digisales in North Wales, was arrested by police after a joint raid with trading standards officers.
A trading standards spokesman said documents seized at an address in Penrhyn Bay had led them to believe “a significant quantity of sales” had taken place.

Ray Hoskin, of Media Protection Services (MPS), the firm employed by the Premier League to safeguard its TV rights, said: “This is the first time, as far as I know, that anyone has been arrested for supplying foreign satellite decoder cards.” "It was a joint operation between police and trading standards officers. Elsdon was arrested in relation to offences under the Design, Copyright and Patents Act and the Fraud Act.”
Hoskin said MPS had been invited by the authorities to offer technical support to the police and trading standards investigators and had examined documents found on the premises.
He said the authorities had also seized Elsdon’s computer.
Hoskin added: “Enquiries are continuing regarding offences that may have been discovered.”

The Premier League maintains it is illegal to show its football matches in the UK without a legitimate Sky Sports subscription.

It will continue to prosecute licensees found using foreign satellite decoder cards in the civil courts, as revealed in last week’s MA, until Portsmouth licensee Karen Murphy’s High Court appeal has been heard.

Saga continues:

A group representing suppliers of foreign satellite equipment says that it is standing by a supplier who has been arrested for allegedly selling screening cards to pubs.

Mark Elsdon, of Digisales, was arrested by North Wales police after a joint raid with trading standards officers.
Elsdon was arrested on suspicion of breaching copyright by selling foreign satellite cards and has been released on police bail.

The European Satellite Television Association (Esta) said that it has written to local trading standards officers and Media Protection Services (MPS), which investigates foreign satellite screenings, asking for equipment that was seized in the raid to be returned to Elsdon. MPS managing director Ray Hoskin said: "As I understand it, the property was seized by trading standards and police on a warrant from the magistrates. I referred them back to the authorities."

Last month All-Party Parliamentary Beer Group chairman John Grogan held a reception in Westminster for representatives of Esta to discuss the issue of foreign satellite screenings of football in pubs.

And the conclusion:

Local government co-ordinator Lacors has warned that pubs are risking their licence if they screen football matches via foreign satellite systems.

With the new football season kicking off at the weekend, the warning is an indication that councils will get tough on outlets that use foreign systems this season.

Lacors has provided information for trading standards departments on the legal position of foreign satellite football. This includes letters from foreign broadcasters saying pubs can't use their systems in the UK.
Lacors chairman Geoffrey Theobald said: "It seems that some licensees have been duped into buying foreign satellite equipment, which is not only illegal, but could get them into serious trouble.

"Licensees need to be aware that illegally broadcasting Premier League football could not only land them in court and facing a hefty fine, but could also see them lose their licence, and with it their livelihood."

A Premier League spokesman said: "As more and more complaints have come in from licensees to law enforcement officers complaining that the pub along the road is using foreign satellite equipment to gain an unfair and illegal competitive advantage, law enforcement agencies have decided to act, and we have been asked to provide information."

Police in Blackburn are warning they will raid any pubs believed to be showing foreign satellite football.

Town centre sergeant Rachel Baines told the Lancashire Telegraph: "At the start of the new football season, the police in conjunction with partner agencies, will be investigating any potential breaches of this legislation.

"If you are found in possession of foreign satellite equipment, which is being used to broadcast Premier League matches, it is likely that equipment will be seized and that you may be prosecuted for breaching the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. "A letter will be sent to all licensees in the forthcoming weeks warning them not to buy or use this equipment."

The move follows a similar warning from police in Bolton last month.

Taken from here: h**p://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news_category.aspx?categoryid=35

So does that mean everyone who is watching footie via legitimately purchased card is a law breaker? Or, if I am watching any sport event (inc football) on FTA Planeta Sport, does that makes me a criminal?
Unknown user #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-07, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

Default Re: Digisales rep has been arrested and bailed by police for selling cards to pu

This thread contains a lot of info. Nothing's changed IMO.

Start-of-season scare tactics by the bullies. Time will tell if they're firing blanks.
Old 20-08-07, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Digisales rep has been arrested and bailed by police for selling cards to pu

Sorry, I thought this is their new tactics. Aplologies.
ops:
Old 20-08-07, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

That's OK. It's good to keep up-to-date with they're game-playing
Old 20-08-07, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
manic midlander retired mod

Default Re: Digisales rep has been arrested and bailed by police for selling cards to pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRookie
So does that mean everyone who is watching footie via legitimately purchased card is a law breaker? Or, if I am watching any sport event (inc football) on FTA Planeta Sport, does that makes me a criminal?
Not in your own home no, and anything you watch on a fta channel is totally ok.

Basically its commercial premises using foreign subscriptions to show cheap football.

no keys
no patches
no offering or asking for card shares

Anyone pm'ing me for details of card sharing or anything to do with hacking cable will be banned immediately

Analogue forever!!
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-07, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

...although the 'at home' bit has never been tested in court. The same argument could apply.

BUT - unless you're an idiot, nobody is going to catch you, and it's as unlikely as Barbara Woodhouse being found alive on the moon (bless her cotton socks) that anyone is going to bother going after an individual until they've locked up all the publicans.

Or maybe they want to make an example of one of us?!!
Old 20-08-07, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am not really scared they are going to catch me watching Russian FTA TV, TBH
But the problem is that at least in theory they can prosecute me (and all others who is watching FTA footie) simply on the ground that SLY got an exclusive rights of footie broadcasts in this country.
Which is not quite working if you think about the EU superstate, etc. By applying EU logic, I should be able to buy, say, Polsat Extra Sport card in Warsaw and then watch it in this country (open borders and all that). But according to SLY (and TS!) logic this is a big no no.
So, whose law will prevail in this case? (hopefully this question is theoretical ).
Old 20-08-07, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dodgy Geezer

LOL, I would like to see anyone prosecute an individual for watching FTA TV. That is never going to happen!

The EU are treating the whole issue of satellite TV like this >>> ops: