Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Sky/Astra2

Sky/Astra2 Post all your Sky related queries here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-07, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Connect two Sky Boxes to one Sky Dish?

It is possible to connect two Sky Boxes to one Sky Dish - and if so, what hardware do you recommend? I need to be able to watch a different TV channel on both boxes at the same time, but only use one dish and not pay anything extra apart from the hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
azwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Connect two Sky Boxes to one Sky Dish?

To connect 2 receivers up to one dish, you will need a dual output lnb, or quad if your using sky+

The only way you can watch different programmes on either box is to get a multiroom sub

Unless its FTV channels.
Old 02-09-07, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was wondering if there was any free way of getting to watch different sky channels on two different boxes, without getting multiroom. someone must know how multiroom works, and if it just needs a second sky card then i can get one.

so, can i just use a dual lnb to split the dish output and a sky card in both boxes to recieve and unscramble the channels?

thanks.
azwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
manic midlander retired mod

If you want to watch two different Sky pay channels on the two boxes then as crossbones says you will need multiroom room subs which will cost an additional tenner a month.

PLUS - you will need to have BOTH boxes connected to the SAME phone line for the life of the multiroom sub.

no keys
no patches
no offering or asking for card shares

Anyone pm'ing me for details of card sharing or anything to do with hacking cable will be banned immediately

Analogue forever!!
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nope no free way, if you want two boxes two cards, then you have to give Mr Rupey the bucks
Old 02-09-07, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
manic midlander retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwebs
I was wondering if there was any free way of getting to watch different sky channels on two different boxes, without getting multiroom.
Not easily - pay or do without

If you know your way around a couple of dreamboxes then you could cardshare over a lan, but not possible with bog standard sky boxes

no keys
no patches
no offering or asking for card shares

Anyone pm'ing me for details of card sharing or anything to do with hacking cable will be banned immediately

Analogue forever!!
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gav

Yes you can, but only one could access subscription channels at any one time without incurring extra costs.

_www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

That lists all the channels you can get on a Sky box without an active subscription.

You can however just take the card out of one box and pop it in the other with no hassle (unless you have movie/sports subscriptions).
Old 02-09-07, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwebs
I was wondering if there was any free way of getting to watch different sky channels on two different boxes, without getting multiroom. someone must know how multiroom works, and if it just needs a second sky card then i can get one.

so, can i just use a dual lnb to split the dish output and a sky card in both boxes to recieve and unscramble the channels?

thanks.
You actually need a Twin LNB not a Dual LNB. Although for Sky dishes its probably easier to find a QUAD.

Aprart from FTV the cheapest way to get a second card is multiroom, an extra sub could cost much more.
Old 09-10-07, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got Sky+ and my Dad has just cancelled his Sky subscription so he has a regular Sky box going spare. Would I be right in thinking i could link this box to my existing dish and use it to watch FTA channels without the need for another sky card or anything? don't really want to pay for multiroom, just wondered if i could make use of this box really.
ramkirhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkirhs
I've got Sky+ and my Dad has just cancelled his Sky subscription so he has a regular Sky box going spare. Would I be right in thinking i could link this box to my existing dish and use it to watch FTA channels without the need for another sky card or anything? don't really want to pay for multiroom, just wondered if i could make use of this box really.
Hi,

Yes, essentially you could.
As long as there was a spare output on the LNB. Because Sky+ needs two feeds. So if you have a quad LNB no problem, just go and get yourself a length of satelite c@ble and a couple of F-connectors. If you have a TWIN LNB (unlikely) you will have to swap it for a quad.

get wf100 or ct100(or equivalent) c@ble if you don't mind paying a bit extra ( it's about 50p a metre)

No card would be required to watch the FTA channels.
To watch the FTV channels a 'Freesat from sky' card (20 from Sky) is needed.

Look here for a channel list (FTA & FTV only)

http://www.ftasat.co.uk/

EDIT:

His old subs card will work as a FTV card, so it won't cost you anything.

Robbo