Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Home Media

Home Media Home entertainment technology and systems, such as audio and hi-fi, home cinema, set ups, and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-08, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: HD TV/PS3/SKY+/Surround sound set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post

So here's what I would do:
  • Connect the PS3 to the TV via. HDMI
  • Connect the PS3 to the Surround Sound via. Optical
  • Connect the Surround Sound to the TV via. HDMI
  • Connect the Sky+ Box to the TV via. SCART
  • Connect the Sky+ Box to the Surround Sound via. Red&White :]
Sorted

Brilliant post, cant beleive it but this is exactly the post i was looking for, thanks Gav.

I have a quick question tho, will the above setup work the same with my samsung R87 and Samsung HT-X250R? I also have PS3 and Sky+...

TIA
lliam182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am after some advice on how best to setup my new system.

PANASONIC TH-37PX80BA (TV)
PANASONIC SC-PT460EB-K (surruond sound) (SS)
PS3

I have just bought two hdmi cables and am looking to setup my ps3 with the surround sound. At present i have hdmi from tv to ss and hdmi from ps3 to tv but this only give me video and no sound. Any help would be appreciated.
JimmyP_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-08, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have a similar problem to that mentioned earlier in the thread. I have a new Samsung LCD TV, Sky box, PS3 and Samsung Surround Sound. I was going to to set it up as mentioned.
  • Connect the PS3 to the TV via. HDMI
  • Connect the PS3 to the Surround Sound via. Optical
  • Connect the Surround Sound to the TV via. HDMI
  • Connect the Sky+ Box to the TV via. SCART
  • Connect the Sky+ Box to the Surround Sound via. Red&White :]
But then I read that you can't get 5.1 via red and white. Can the optical splitter be used with a standard sky box or just with an HD box? If so how do you set it up. Red and white from sky box to splitter, optical to TV?

Thanks
Denno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-08, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

So I cant connect my PS3 to my surround sound via optical? I can only play dvd's in 5.1 with the supplied system but not blueray on my ps3?

I'm getting a little confused because Lamboluke has a Panasonic surround system and it was recommended to link PS3 and the Surround.
Denno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-09, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi,

Really useful information from everyone about connecting it all up. I'll admit, I'm an idiot who hasn't got the slightest clue about how to connect things up. My equipment is slightly different to others mentioned but not alot different. Would it all work in the same way? I'll tell you what I'd like to connect and if possible, could someone let me know how to? Thanks in advance.

I have:

Panasonic TV (TX-32LXD8)
Panasonic Home Theater Sound System (SC-PT175)
Sky+HD
PS3

I'd like to connect the Sky+HD and PS3 to surround sound. What would be the best option?

Thanks again. You don't know how pleased I'd be if someone could let me know what I need to do!
Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 11:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi All

new to this forum, hopefully like other forums I have been on, I can gain as much information as I give.

thanks in advance,

AL

How do I connect these lot?

Sony DVD - DAV-DZ530 - 1 HDMI out port - connected to TV via HDMI and Scart( I know not both req)

Toshiba AV50 sries - REGZA - 2 HDMI input ports (plenty scarts)

Cable (Virgin+ box) connected to TV via HDMI

PS3 - new model

to connect PS3, by HDMI I need to unplug the DVD HDMI.

I was told by a mate to get an HDMI splitter, I done this, but it doesnt work(unless I have it in the wrong slots
EKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 01:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Something

Hi EKAL. I am sorry but you cant connect those items to get surround sound from all sources. Like most of the proprietory 'surround sound' systems, the Sony doesn't have an input facility. It can play surround sound from its internal DVD and thats it. Sony themselves say that on their website.

Why companies make and sell these systems is a mystery to me except that they are only interested in making money.

If anyone wants surround sound from various digital sources then they need to buy a proper AV amplifier with surround sound facilities.

Since the TV does not have surround sound capabilities you can only use the analogue red and white phono connections for stereo sound from other components. Obviously the sky box and PS3 player will connect to the TV via HDMI but the output will only be stereo.

If you like what you see here, tell your friends.
Jimdefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 04:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

HI GUYS!!!

i recently brought a PS3/Sony KDL52W5800 (tv)/ Panasonic SCPT870EBK (home cinema system) and i have a sky+ box.

i need help in regards to how i should connect everything up so i maximise the use of everything.

E.G i want the tv channels to be playing from the sound out of the cinema speakers like wise with the ps3 ETC (with the best quality)

can you please help me on this

thanks

Taj
Taj007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdefruit View Post
Hi EKAL. I am sorry but you cant connect those items to get surround sound from all sources. Like most of the proprietory 'surround sound' systems, the Sony doesn't have an input facility. It can play surround sound from its internal DVD and thats it. Sony themselves say that on their website.

Why companies make and sell these systems is a mystery to me except that they are only interested in making money.

If anyone wants surround sound from various digital sources then they need to buy a proper AV amplifier with surround sound facilities.

Since the TV does not have surround sound capabilities you can only use the analogue red and white phono connections for stereo sound from other components. Obviously the sky box and PS3 player will connect to the TV via HDMI but the output will only be stereo.
BUMMER, thought as much mate, not to bad, only paid 10 for splitter, so not a lot wasted, just need to find something to do with my splitter now

thanks for your help

AL
EKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-10, 01:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have the same problems as most of these posts, however, my surround sound system is an old one & doesn't have optical or HDMI. its a Technics DV-290.

Any suggestions how to connect a PS3 & Sky+ box to a HD TV & surround sound system with only 2 video inputs, 1 video output, S-Video connection & 1 Red & White audio

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
stueee is offline   Reply With Quote