Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Sky/Astra2

Sky/Astra2 Post all your Sky related queries here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-09, 03:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Installing your own Freesat satellite dish and save 80.

If you look at the Signal Test / Antenna Setup or similar on your reciever that will act as a meter for you. You do need to be quite accurate with the dish alignment. If poss hook up a portable TV so you can see it while your moving the dish. Nip up the bolts so you can move the dish but it dosen't flop about, then move in small increments till you get a good signal. If that's not possible then a cheap meter will do the job for you but won't get you the best possible signal you can get.

TP 10773H 22000 5/6 is a good one to line up on.
Old 28-03-09, 05:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
FTA only,sky free home

Location: bwlchgwyn, 1375 Ft,highest village in Wales,Wrexham County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1980 View Post
If you look at the Signal Test / Antenna Setup or similar on your reciever that will act as a meter for you. You do need to be quite accurate with the dish alignment. If poss hook up a portable TV so you can see it while your moving the dish. Nip up the bolts so you can move the dish but it dosen't flop about, then move in small increments till you get a good signal. If that's not possible then a cheap meter will do the job for you but won't get you the best possible signal you can get.

TP 10773H 22000 5/6 is a good one to line up on.
If you use a tv as a finder,it takes a few seconds for the tv to pick up every move, so move and wait,by the time the wife or somebody eles wife
says got it, you may well have passed the sat, we all started like you
and then it became easy. Yes a meter is helpful, but remember both 19.2
and 28 will both show up as a signal, similar freqs.
So if the meter says signal and you have set up for 28 freqs, it can fool you. Enjoy the experience and yes see where the other dishes point as a very very rough guide. Unlike terrestrial one mil out is all it takes.

Bob
merlodlliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-09, 05:29 PM   #53 (permalink)

I have found the meter in the settings and it is giving 85% strength and 0% quality, the strength jumps occasionally, sometimes up to 100% and rarely down to 60%, but the quality is firmly on 0%. Does the strength refer to the connection with the LNB and the quality refer to the actual signal? Pointing the dish in completely the wrong direction didn't alter the strength.
Scilly_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-09, 05:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can pretty much ignore the strength, it's the quality that matters.
Old 28-03-09, 07:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
FTA only,sky free home

Location: bwlchgwyn, 1375 Ft,highest village in Wales,Wrexham County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1980 View Post
You can pretty much ignore the strength, it's the quality that matters.
agree the signal is run from the LNB to the box, the quality is the signal hitting the lnb, so if you have signal strength I would say the LNB is Ok,
take your time, if you get fed up have a G & T or a VAT, by the way
after a while your partner will get fed up,if you are using one.

have you fitted the dish correctly? sometime I put the holder,that is
the fitting with the elevation etc upside down, its easily done.

You will get there in the end, dont forget the signal from the LNB takes
a few seconds to reach the tv, so move the dish & wait.

When you have a quality signal, we will then talk fine tuning,thats
squeue.

Bob
merlodlliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-09, 04:48 PM   #56 (permalink)

I've borrowed a Satellite Finder off a friend and found an excellent signal using that, at least its reading over 10 at the minimum "level" and when I wave my hand in front of the LNB we lose that signal. However one of the outputs doesn't get as good a signal, and the union is loose when attaching/detaching cables. The Quality is still 0, we've tried both cables connecting to the "LNB1 in". I am beginning to think a distant chimney pot is close to where the satellite is, would that be a problem? I have taken some pictures of our setup, they are on my flickr page, flickr dot com /photos/45946153@N00/ I think the elevation should be higher than it is, could the ladder cause interference, are we clearing the roof?
Old 31-03-09, 05:45 PM   #57 (permalink)

i've got an excellent quality on some transponders (including the one mentioned above), and i get channels like cnn, german channels (mtv), austrian channels, euro news, and others. But the instructions say i need to find good quality on 11428H 27500A, so does this mean i've found the wrong satellite?

Last edited by Scilly_guy; 31-03-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 31-03-09, 06:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Yes, you are on the wrong satellite.

To see which one, reference your channel names and transponders to those listed on lyngsat.

BTW, it is much easier to upload your photos to the forum rather than linking to them especially since you don't have priveleges to post links.
Old 31-03-09, 10:21 PM   #59 (permalink)

THANK YOU GUYS and or GIRLS. Found 28.2 now, I was on 19.2 before. Now I just need to contact my supply and get them to send a better LNB as one of the outputs is broken so we can't record a different channel but at least we have some channels, now I just need to teach my parents how to use them, they're still stuck on the Radio times 4 channel mindset.

How can I fine tune? Polarisation?
Old 10-06-09, 11:50 PM   #60 (permalink)

I have the same problem as Scilly thanks for the help so far, very useful. This is my first system and i am still learning I have one question though....when i move dish slowly further east my sat finder signal dies. and using a compass at 28E i get no signal at all? Anyone have any tips on how i increase my changes of hitting the 28E if i start from 19E?

Many thanks in advance

Huggy
Huggy is offline   Reply With Quote