Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Digital TV > UK Cable > Cable Modems

Cable Modems Gotta start somewhere and here's the place to start :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-09, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Virgin Capping

Hi,

Firstly I'm new here, so hello to you all

I understand this is the place where you guys maybe able to help me.

I have a old style NTL silver modem, is there any way I can mod this to stop Virgin capping my download speeds?

Many thanks in advance.

stasiak
stasiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Virgin Capping

1st of mate you have to have a think about it and what your doing.

It's best to keep a subbed modem on and then use another for your "what you call uncapping " mate.

pay for a subbed and get your self a spare.

don't plug the spare into the same network card as your subbed before "smac" in your NIC card.

What's your set up?
amberleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

You could always try purchasing a ready done modem and avoid all the pain (unless your into that type of thing ;-) ) Also, may not need to spoof your NIC if you can connect the modem via usb
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for both your replies, I must admit I don't really know anything about this and I didn't realise you could buy a ready done modem. Where would I find something like this and how much would it cost? Also would I just use this instead of my original one when I don't want capping?
Old 06-01-09, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technology Forums

you would use TMAC to change your network cards mac to something random, then connect other modem and be uncapped.

when you are done, click "original mac" in tmac and then connect original modem.
Bad_Ad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I must admit I don't understand what you are saying, sorry, this is the first time I've looked into something like this. Could you explain in idiots terms please?
Old 11-01-09, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Download the Haynes Cable Modem Manual, you really need to read up on this sort of thing if you want to go down this route pal, theres a bit to take in but once you have the know how youll be away mate, Try underground mondems.
Old 11-01-09, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
you would use TMAC to change your network cards mac to something random, then connect other modem and be uncapped.

when you are done, click "original mac" in tmac and then connect original modem.

yeah could do that, that's a good idea. i think it would be easier to get your self another NIC card though, but then again......

stasiak

When your modem that you pay for connected you to your provider it registered your network Interface Card to them, this is called a NIC.

So from the Ethernet/USB network port on your pc to the modem.

What your best of doing is leaving that modem alone and totally getting your self another one, keep paying for that service, the minimum maybe...... then buy your self another modem and what we are saying is that after you've flashed it and you have a new config file set up on it then don't plug that into the NIC that you had the other one plugged into.

This is not really a mega thing really, but it's always best to safe.

There is some software out there that will spoof your NIC address, so for example you have your normal modem into your pc and your nic addy is some thing like 55:84:b8:28:87:87 then you unplug your subbed modem ( paid for ) and then before you plug your new magic one in you would run the software and change your nic addy to random 55:48:11:8E:e8:3e and then away you go then as bad ad says you unspoof when you plug your normal modem back in.

I have 2 network cards in both my computers so for example the network card that had my original modem from the CC plugged into it is not being used to connect to the magic modem,i bought a separate NIC adapter that had never been registered before and used that for connection to the www...........

it's a bit like giving your normal telephone number out to a gorgeous girl but when an ugly one comes along you give her a false one so she can't never call you.....
amberleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

it's a bit like giving your normal telephone number out to a gorgeous girl but when an ugly one comes along you give her a false one so she can't never call you.....[/quote]

LOL ...Quality !
metalpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

sorry to ask here but:
what are these membership requirements on underground modems that mean that my account gets removed prior to approval?