Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Computers > PC Software

PC Software Computer software including operating systems, programs, applications, tools and drivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-09, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Copy BBC iplayer download to disc?

This is one of those questions that could perhaps go in a number of forum sections? Anyway, I messed up and didn't record All The Small Things for my good lady. Can't at the moment get it off utorrent. Can presumably download via iplayer but due to protection in place can't copy to a cd/dvd (my missus doesn't like watching off the PC)? Anyone know a solution?
Satriani57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Copy BBC iplayer download to disc?

Try this web site, google Fairuse4wm, I have used this sofware with XP, any other OS is a pain, good luck
Old 08-05-09, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's a couple of programs (danuisoft media converter, and wondershare drm remover, although I think they're the same co., not free although I obtained MC on Giveaway Of The Day). I've used MC but its MPEG2 output seems to be either letterbox or 16x9 in a 4x3 frame (vertical stretch) but that's fixed with DVDpatcher which puts 16x9 flags in the file.
Then it's ready for your favourite DVD authoring prog.
Just remember to complete the conversion within 7 days of activating the DRM (first viewing) otherwise the licence will expire.

Last edited by nvingo; 08-05-09 at 08:48 PM.
nvingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to you both for your replies. Looking round t'internet it seems that now iPlayer uses Adobe AIR these solutions don't work as the download isn't a wmv file any more? I did find a workaround po-ru.com that cons the website into thinking a phone is downloading, therefore no drm. Trouble is the file is about 1/3 the size and lower quality plus it has the lady in the corner signing - distracting if fortunate to have reasonable hearing.
Satriani57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriani57 View Post
..it seems that now iPlayer uses Adobe AIR these solutions don't work as the download isn't a wmv file any more?
I don't know if it varies by PC/installation, but on mine when you select a programme to "watch" it, below the right-hand end of the viewing area there are two download options, the top one is the air version and the lower one opens to ask portable devices or .wmv - I use the latter and the PQ is as good IMO as Freeview.

I also have Orbit (freeware) installed which detects downloads/streams and saves them to a HDD location of your choice, meaning they aren't put into iPlayers default directory therefore iPlayer doesn't detect their presence.
nvingo is offline   Reply With Quote