Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Receivers > Technomate > TM Linux Receivers

TM Linux Receivers Good quality Linux machines from Technomate, with growing support.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-09, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default TM500 Review

Well i've had my TM-500 for 2 days now and getting there with it so thought I'd put up a review.

I got one of the first generation models from southern sat, (very fast btw thnx m8) so no manual just a reciever and remote.

First impressions were good, the box looks well and is a nice clean design, the only critisism that I would have is that the front panel picks up fingerprints very easily, though i'll let the missus worry about that

Initial setup was easy enough with the box going through the menus automatically and within about 5 mins I was watching FTA. It would have been nice if it had asked for the time rather than just the time zone, but the menus are easy to navigate and it didn't take long to finish off the initial setup.

As with every other reciever I have setup I was dissapointed with the built in transponder lists, and I can see myself spending alot of time manually scanning channels. Though regardless of how channels are scanned it puts them in a very strange order, though they are navigable by sat and provider so easy to find the chanel you want and you can make your own channel lists which work very well.

Sound and picture quality are excellent, and the tuner is very sensitive. On my fortec box I could get 35% on 7w 11862V but no lock, the TM gets me 42% so will scan in channels atleast even if the picture breaks up.

Software updating is very easy using the tm500 loader via ethernet, and FTP via Dreambox Control Centre is also straigtht forward once it's all setup.

Software updates are also available direct to the reciever from the tinternet which makes for an easy life.

The Satellite Setup is simple if you have either a motor or a multi lnb setup, though I haven't figured out how to use both, user defined settings seem very complex and I haven't figured out how to have a fixed dish and motorised connected via Diseqc.

Other than the satellite setup thoug everything is very straight foward and even a linux virgin like me can get the box up and running with CCcam within a couple of days. So far it seems remarkably stable.

Overall I would rate this reciever 8/10 based on the build quality, features and price. Definatley worth considering if your looking to get into linux recievers.

Hope this is of use. Rick
Old 03-07-09, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: TM500 Review

sounds it is good
djstallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senile Member

Looks ok rick.
I was thinking about dipping my toe's in linux with one off those dreambox500s boxes.Nice and cheap.But are they any good. did you look at them.

Last edited by pontiend; 03-07-09 at 01:34 PM.
pontiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have looked at the dreamboxes on and off for a while. The Dreambox 500 is a similar spec to the Technomate and at the moment has more support. The only problem I had with the dreambox is that there are loads of clones about and I would not want one especially if I thought I was getting the real mccoy. I know that Nanochickin has a TM500 and is very pleased with it also. So based on that and trusting Ian at Southern Sat to deliver as promised I opted for the Technomate. Support will increase for them as they go into mainstream production I'm sure. Also I think they look sexier than the dreambox for what thats worth lol.

Rick

Last edited by Rick; 03-07-09 at 01:46 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senile Member

That's the problem is'nt it.How do you know if you are buying a clone or not.
There are dreambox's all over the place.But how do you know who is selling the real thing.
pontiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would trust Southern Sat, and I am sure there are other reputable suppliers out there that other forum members can recommend. I think though that it really is going to be a case of buy from a reccomended supplier if you have your heart set on a Dreambox.
Old 05-07-09, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am thinking about buying one of these new technomates too. What is the main difference between the two new models? Also, what other things besides the reciever will I need? At present I have a TM5400 set up on a motorised dish.

I am a linux virgin!!!
Old 05-07-09, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The main differance is that the TM-600 is a PVR reciever.

You will need to get an internet connection to the reciever, so best way is a Ethernet cable to a router. Your going to need some time to do some reading as well to get the most out of your new reciever.
Old 05-07-09, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I realise that the receiver needs a connection to my router, have you or anyone else used a 'network sender kit'? This is one which routes through the mains electricity circuit. My router is at present at the other end of the house so this would be preferable ... if it works!
Old 20-09-10, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rick...your the man on all sat info...you have convinced me and what
you say about clones is spot on. I have a DB500hd original and its 1 sweet
box i want this as a second and after reading this i'm going for it.

Thanks
mapex is offline   Reply With Quote