Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Help

Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-09, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help tuning my Humax Freesat in

Hi,

My engineer has fitted 3 LNBs to the dish and left me to tune in my Humax freesat HDR box to the astra 18 and hotbird. How do I do this, I am completely puzzled, there is nothing on the menus, I just thought I could do a new channel search and they would pop up.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Matt
Mattk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Default Re: Help tuning my Humax Freesat in

To start off with, it is best that Astra 28E is on the diseqc switch position 1 or labelled A in some cases.

Then when you turn on the HDR it will ask for your postcode and you will be able to tune into the Freesat channels.

To tune the other satellites in, you have to access the secret menu, to get the "antenna setup" menu to appear

So press the Menu button, select setup, and choose freesat tune.

Then press red, green, yellow, blue, green, yellow, blue.

The antenna settings option should then appear. Have a mess about in there and you should be able to get the other two sats working.
Old 23-10-09, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Got that, I can tune into 3 satellites now but losing each satellites channels when I tune in the other channels!
Old 23-10-09, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update - I can store all 3 satellite information now. How do I get all 3 on one 'rolling surf' if you know what I mean. I can surf freesat but then if I want hotbird then I have to exit freesat mode then enter 'non fresat' mode by entering a 'secret code', what a hassle, how can I group all these together?
Old 23-10-09, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Satellite mad

I have'nt got that receiver myself but have set them up a few times, basically they are a bit of a PITA in my opinion for multisat use, but it gets there in the end. perhaps one of the guys on here who owns one will be ale to give further tips, as without the receiver to hand, I can't be of much more help.
Old 23-10-09, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Ok, I can answer that one.

In Freesat mode you can only watch Freesat.

In non-Freesat mode, you can watch all the other satellites, including 28E, but you won't get the Freesat EPG.

basically you have to switch modes, there is no choice-

Either it is a freesat receiver- Freesat mode

or

It is a FTA receiver for FTA channels including multisat-Non freesat mode.

The two modes can't be combined.
Old 23-10-09, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats why,mine is sat in its box.
It just becomes such a chore switching between both.
Also note,your timer recordings may disappear from the planner and will not be recorded,if you leave it Non-Freesat mode.
SAT-WORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

That is a pain, I have now treated freesat channels as satellite channels to get them all together but they now have long numbers as the humax gives non freesat channels a 5000+ number but even worse than that is that you cannot edit the non freesat channels and choose favorites.

The humax box has now lost my regard. Any cheap good alternatives that overcome this deficiency

P.S. Why can't I find Kika the German children's channel? Has it gone offline?
Old 23-10-09, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Satellite mad

The Humax was designed and is sold for Freesat use, and it seems to do that job pretty well. It was never designed for multisat use, hence why it is crapola in that sense.

I have not tried any of the cheaper HD receivers, just the TM6800/6900, their usablity is significantly better, by a very long way, but the recording and epg facilties are not a patch on the HDR (when used in Freesat mode)

check lyngsat or kingofsat for the channel you want and then ensure that you have that transponder listed and that it has been scanned.

Last edited by Robbo; 23-10-09 at 08:49 PM.
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

nt,What's a transponder? surely my dish now picks up every channel transmitted by astra 19.2 now? Futher to this point, I bought 'what satellite' magazine for a source of learning, my god, it's too technical for the layman