Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Digital TV > UK Cable > Cable Modems

Cable Modems Gotta start somewhere and here's the place to start :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-10, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry SB5100 on Sigma X2 unable to get working.

Hello Guys,

I need some help please with a modem that I am trying to get working again for a friend. It is a Motorola SB5100 running on Sigma x2. it appears to have gone down last week when vermin chnaged there settings on the cable network and most modems required to be assigned onto BPI Docsis 1.1. My own modem also went down but found it very easily to get back up and running as I am using an SB5101E on Haxorware.

The SB5100 on Sigma modem is currently not able to settle online at all and is constantly rebooting and not settling at all online. It is assigned a working mac address as my friend who lives about 7 miles away from on the other side of Birmingham is using exactly the same mac address as me. Also checked and verified this again my working one.

I have been looking through the forums for commands to enable its BPI and to get it working.

I am not really a technical guy so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or correct me where I have gone wrong.

This is what I have done so far:-
(All bold commands are the actual commands I have entered)
Modem is plugged direct into PC not through a router and DOES NOT have the cable connection into it. Just power and Lan Cable into PC.

1. Opened Local Network properties, Internet Protocol tcp/ip, Properties, Use the following IP Address: -

IP Address 192.168.100.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.169.100.1

OK and Ok on the previous box.

2. Start button, run and typed in telnet. A black MS-Dos like screen appears. On this screen I have entered o 192.168.100.1 (enter)
Login - Admin
Password - password

3. Access granted and the screen is scrolling constantly as it is scanning. To stop the scan I have typed in cd \cm_hal (enter), then scan_stop (enter). This stops the scan and I am able to see anything that i type in next.

4. Now to verify that BPI is off completely I have typed in cd /n/d (enter), enable bpi false (enter), write (enter). Here the modem responds sayign that bpi is disabled.

5. I have now unplugged the modem waited 10 seconds and plugged in back in. Still not with the cable line into it so that the modem is now rebooting. Now I have gone through steps 2 and 3 above in order to get connected to the modem again.

6. Now from the looking at the forums I have here tried 3 different commands here in order to turn on BPI in different ways. None of them however have worked and after each set of commands i have unplugged the power from the modem for 10 seconds and then plugged in the Cable Line and also the power so that the modem boots up with a connection on it. The commands I have tried are:

6A - cd /n/d (enter), enable bpi true (enter), write (enter). This is supposed to turn BPI on.

6B - cd /n/d (enter), enable bpi false (enter), bpi_version 0 (enter), enable bpi true (enter), write (enter). This is supposed to enable BPI only and disable BPI+.

6C - cd /n/d (enter), enable bpi false (enter), bpi_version 1 (enter), enable bpi true (enter), write (enter). This is suuposed to enable BPI+.

None of the commands above work at all. They all come up saying the BPI is enabled to whatever spec they should be but it does not allow me to go online. The modem continues to reboot. Only one of the settings acutuall locks the POWER, RECEIEVE and SEND LEDS. But it is leaving the ONLINE led flashing constantly. Only in this mode the modem is not resetting and the above leds are locked continuously apart from the online LED.

I have contacted the person I have had this modem from and explained the problem. He tells me something that I am needing a nonvol dump. Not sure what this is or what to do at all please. If i cant get this modem working at all then I have told my friend to just spend some money and buy a new modem like mine, preferably a SB5101E with haxorware on it. But firstly just seeing if there is a way that I can get this one to work.

If anyone can help with this please I would be most grateful. I am sorry this post is a little long but wanted to detail all i have done so far as i am at the end of my tether with it. .

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Cheers

Jay-J
JayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-10, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
TRAIN HARD, FIGHT EASY

Default Re: SB5100 on Sigma X2 unable to get working.

type ur cmds in to stop the modem scanning then put in

cd /n/d
enable bpi true
bpi_version 1
write

and then unplug ur modem and power it back up and test to see if it goes online if it dont then you may need to flush ur non vol.

have a look at this useful post Post Telnet Commands Here and see if you can find any cmds there to flush the non-vol. once you do flush it then reinput the bpi cmd and recheck
fnr3master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-10, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply fnr3master. I have tried the command that you stated in your post however still not coming online at all.

With regards to flushing non vol, I have found some commands to do this on http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/56...ands-here.html, however when I try to do this it comes up with a warning saying all settings will be lost. This worries me a little as I dont have anything to put back in it and I dont want to loose Sigma or anything that is on it. For me to proceed with this I need assurance that it can go back up and if so how to do it (re-entering bpi) and it does not turn the modem into a brick.

Thankyou

Jay-J
JayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-10, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
TRAIN HARD, FIGHT EASY

when i get time later 2day or 2moz i will flash sigma and play around with telnet and see wot happens
Old 30-01-10, 01:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the same modem and using a 128 build, was disconnected recently like everyone else, applied the same configuration - change to bpi via putty. Didnt work, kept on reconnecting and rebooting . Unplugged eventually came back to turn modem on and now the modem does not power on. Although 4 lights light up and then disappear again straight after. Is the circuit shorted. Anyone seen this before?
p00hbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-10, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
TRAIN HARD, FIGHT EASY

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00hbear View Post
I have the same modem and using a 128 build, was disconnected recently like everyone else, applied the same configuration - change to bpi via putty. Didnt work, kept on reconnecting and rebooting . Unplugged eventually came back to turn modem on and now the modem does not power on. Although 4 lights light up and then disappear again straight after. Is the circuit shorted. Anyone seen this before?
yeh ive had this before it sometimes happens when you turn the modem off and on quickly from the power supply, and it bricks the modem, somtimes you just get the power light flashing, still bricked either way, ive only seen it on sb5100's. i think it must mess the bootloader up.

it will need to be flashed again m8 to get you back up and running.
Old 09-02-10, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guys

I have the same issue .. can some one help here ... any quide how to flash it

Cheers
naveed0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm having same prob, I got advised to use these settings but still not working

cd /cm_hal
scan_stop
cd /
cd \non-vol/halif
mac_address 000:00:00:00:00
usb_mac_address 000:00:00:00:00
cm_tuner 14
annex_a
cm_annex 3
cd ../docsis
ds_frequency 586750000
d /n/d
enable bpi true
bpi_version 1
write
cd \
cd \non
cd msg
user_name root
password root
write
cd /
cd \non
cd msg
http_admin
write
cd /
cd snmp
view_v1v2 Noaccess
yes
cd /
cd \
cd non-vol
cd msg-log
telnet_ipstacks 2
write
cd \
cd non-vol
cd snmp
max_dload_tries 0
write
cd /
cd snmp
max_dload_tries 0
write
cd /
cd \

if i use bpi enable fulse it locks on but reboots if i use settings above it wont lock on at all also with bpi version 0.

any help would be great thanks

P.S ambit 200 sigma X2

Last edited by uksrevivor; 09-02-10 at 02:07 PM.
uksrevivor is offline   Reply With Quote