Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Other discussions > DIY

DIY General discussion about DIY: plumbing, heating, electrics and building work.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-06, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
(super Mod)

fixing creaking floorboards

Fixing noisy floorboards is a relatively simple job. There are several ways of curing the problem.

Brush chalk or talcum between tight-fitting boards that are rubbing against each other, or ...

Tighten loose boards by using 50mm screws instead of nails to grip the boards securely. Pre-drill the boards to stop the wood splitting. Remember though that there may be cables or pipes below, so lift the board first to check this out. Generally speaking, services should be routed along the centre of floorboards, but this not always the case. or ...

If a board end isn't supported by a joist, take up the board and screw a 25x50mm batten to the side of the joist. Lay the board back on top of the batten and fix with screws.

You may come across a board which has been cut between two joists with the result that nothing is supporting the join. In this case, you can lift the offending boards and fit a length of 2x2 timber between adjacent boards to provide a bridge. Insert the timber and hold in place with a cramp while you screw the adjacent board to it. You will then have something to fix the loose end to with screws
steve07951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: fixing creaking floorboards

thanks for the info need to fix mine
bigaffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve07951 View Post
Remember though that there may be cables or pipes below, so lift the board first to check this out.
This is very good advice which i learned from experience. I had a squeaking
floorboard on my landing and the nail holes were well worn, but look, there was a nice fresh piece of wood right in the middle just begging for a new nail. Bang job done, solid floor board with no squeaks.An hour later my son asked me "Dad, where's this water coming from"? The plumbers had laid the water pipe directly under the boards. I think by law now they have to be a certain depth into the joist, but it's always wise to check.

Regards Cat

Last edited by catweazle; 11-04-07 at 04:01 PM. Reason: more info
catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-07, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweazle View Post
This is very good advice which i learned from experience. I had a squeaking
floorboard on my landing and the nail holes were well worn, but look, there was a nice fresh piece of wood right in the middle just begging for a new nail. Bang job done, solid floor board with no squeaks.An hour later my son asked me "Dad, where's this water coming from"? The plumbers had laid the water pipe directly under the boards. I think by law now they have to be a certain depth into the joist, but it's always wise to check.

Regards Cat
Yup good advice that. Always check under the board before you refix, or, as Cat has said you could well go through a pipe or worse a cable.
Toxic Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-07, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: fixing creaking floorboards

I spent the last few days trying to solve our creaking chipboard floors. Downstairs and even outside, you could hear anyone walking on the upstairs floor. I searched the forums and tried out several solutions, but this is the one worked for me. Having screwed down the boards next to the nails, applied talc between joints and further screwed at 100mm intervals, the damn floor kept on squeaking. As a last ditch attempt I cut out a section of the floor near a squeaky section using a couple of pilot holes and a jigsaw (obligatory waring about pipes and wires). Here, I could see that the pipes and mains cables were laid against the plasterboard ceiling below (and therefore not at risk from cutting). Crucially, though a quick wiggle of the 'noggin' (piece of wood perpendicular to and in between the joists) revealed the same hated squeak. I also noticed that in my situation the noggins were lined up although slightly offset along the length of the floor. So my solution was to fix back the cut out and drill, coutersink and screw 80mm chipboard screws down through the floor surface and into the offending noggin. A quick walk test and it was obvious that this cure could be rolled out along the entire upstairs floors. The remaining noggins were located by drilling into the floor at stategic locations - if the drill went straight through - no noggin, if the drill met resistance all of the way down through the floor and into the noggin - you had found the next culprit. I hope this solution helps someone out there save themselves a whole saturday of pondering! Thanks for other comments on this forum.
Callis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

you guys think yourself lucky, i got them horrible particle boards, for flooring, i hate em with a passion! have i said that i hate them with a passion!

good tip with the talc though, tried it on part of my moms floor and it worked well.

nice one
rangoonruns is offline   Reply With Quote