Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Other discussions > Motoring

Motoring All discussions about cars, other vehicles, and general motoring.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-10, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BMW 3 series leaking water under bonnet

BMW 3 series is leaking water it appears to be from the radiator but it is not the radiator however some one i spoke to said oh it is from the air conditioning unit as this happens to do this from time to time, well this happens everyday so I put water along with antifreeze/summercoolant in (I'll have it on tap shortly, the antifreeze I mean, sorry for poor joke) I do not believe this to be the case. when I squeeze one of the soft hoses in can hear the water but I also think it may have an air lock i really don't know any advioce would help as anyone i speak to regarding this issue are suddendly experts on car knowledge and these people know nothing about cars. cheers .
bernadettejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: BMW 3 series leaking water under bonnet

Hi there are many ways your BM could be losing water , to start at the extreme , it could be burning it by head gasket on its way out , or just a simple leak from somewhere , do you get a puddle under the car in the mornings after the car has stood over night ? can you see any sign of anti freeze around the front on the engine ? has your temp gauge been going high recently ?

Yes i know lots of questions but they are asked because we need to have more information if we are to give you good advice .

please let me know the following and will help where i can

Year of your BM
Mileage
cc

is it 316 , 318 320 , or which model it is please
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-10, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, your advice is much appreciated, I have stopped putting in anti freeze but it is water that is leaking every second day I fill the rediator I make sure the thermostat does not go very much beyond the middle. the car info is as follows
bmw 318i SE auto
CC 1895
petrol
2 axle rigid body
reg date 1998
I know you may think it's old but it was well looked after one lady owner still contains original medical equip, torch in glove comp and original tools in the boot lid and it had the original spare wheel until a garage man helped himself to it, he must have thought i would not check it . Hope this info helps. cheers.
Old 28-04-10, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

do you fill to a small tank or straight to radiator ?
Old 28-04-10, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi I fill straight to radiator cheers.
Old 29-04-10, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok thanks check around the bottom of the radiator for any wet patches , also make sure rad cap is on tight and check for any water around that , if you have any brown crud around the clips on the hoses that is where you leak may be the clip may need a little nip tight with a screwdriver
Old 29-04-10, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadettejackson View Post
BMW 3 series is leaking water it appears to be from the radiator but it is not the radiator however some one i spoke to said oh it is from the air conditioning unit as this happens to do this from time to time, well this happens everyday so I put water along with antifreeze/summercoolant in (I'll have it on tap shortly, the antifreeze I mean, sorry for poor joke) I do not believe this to be the case. when I squeeze one of the soft hoses in can hear the water but I also think it may have an air lock i really don't know any advioce would help as anyone i speak to regarding this issue are suddendly experts on car knowledge and these people know nothing about cars. cheers .

I have a 320i SE auto and the same happened to me, my problem was a crack in the expansion tank. This is a smallish black box next to the radiator. We tried to seal the crack but this only lasted a day so had to replace the tank. I got mine from BMW and it cost around 95. Its fairly easy to do but requires a bit of brute force. We have 2 BMW's and the expansion tank went on both of them within the same week! Cant help any further than that but I thought I would share my experience. Good luck getting it fixed.
swilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-10, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi, thanks for the advice, it sounds like the same problem as yours I have to top up the radiator again before i drive it today however i will have a look around at the hoses etc, if I take it to a garage would it be very expensive for labour etc ,you paid 95 for the part which is fine, it is the rest of the costs i don't want to get ripped off with, if you have a rough idea the cost then at least I have a guideline to go off, take or leave a couple of 10s (not 100s) as garage men see signs when a woman driving a BMW arrives so having a fair idea of the problem helps. Once again I appreciate your advice. Thanks Bernie.
Old 02-05-10, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thinking back 95 was a deal that BMW did as we bought 2 expansion boxes so it wont be as much as this. Fortunately my husband fitted them, he didnt have a clue what he was doing but he managed it, thats why I say its not really that hard to do! although my automatic was a bit trickier than the manual BMW. I know what you mean about garages seeing a lady driver as signs I feel exactly the same. I know not all garages are the same but I do feel they just try to pull the wool over your eyes because you're a female. Just make sure that your engine dont get too hot because then that can lead to a whole load of new problems. Good luck.
swilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-11, 03:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Technology Forums

Hi everyone, I need some opinion. I also have a 318i SE and I found this leak which appears to be red. It seems to be coming from my passenger side. Any insights? Somehow I did my research on BMW repair questions, and it seems like the leak is from my radiator. I'll try to post a picture of the leak.
chuckhumprey is offline   Reply With Quote