Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Help

Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-10, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Installing sky multiroom myself????

HI guys, I have a sky+ box in my lounge and have been given a sky Hd box free tonight so I swapped boxes and watched the footy in HD.
My question is now that I have a spare sky+ box can i put that in my bedroom and run a new cable from my sat dish to the receiver as my sat dish is on my bedroom wall. Is it as easy as that or not?
markymark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Installing sky multiroom myself????

Its that easy as long as you have a spare output or two on your dish, assuming your just wanting to watch fta channels. If you wanting more then you'll need a card thats paired to each box.
Old 18-06-10, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Satellite mad

Yes, as long as you have a quad LNB already, (pretty much guaranteed if you have Sky+ already), just run a couple of extra cables to the new location from the dish.
Try to use wf100 or pf100 or similar if you can, else the cheapo RG6 satellite cable will suffice if the run is not too long. Some screw on F-connectors on the ends and you are sorted. Don't forget the 'drip loop" if you need to drill a new hole in the wall, and a dob of silcone sealant.
Old 19-06-10, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looking at my sat dish It looks like there is 4 connections and 2 of them are being used by my receiver in the lounge.
I am happy just to receive fta channels.
So do u think this is ok b4 I start splashing out on cable and fittings?
Old 20-06-10, 02:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Installing sky multiroom myself????

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark123 View Post
Looking at my sat dish It looks like there is 4 connections and 2 of them are being used by my receiver in the lounge.
I am happy just to receive fta channels.
So do u think this is ok b4 I start splashing out on cable and fittings?

right my sat knowledge is not the greatest but I assume you want another Box in another location within the same property.

4 outputs / connections means you have a quad LNB and if you want another receiver in a another room in the same property then yes it can be done... however you will need to run another cable from the LNB to the other room. Using the cables specified above by Rob.

p.s: I used to be told that you can use a RG6 cable as long as its 75ohm or above. 100m WF100 s is on fleebay for 30 quid

Last edited by unadkat; 20-06-10 at 02:46 AM.
unadkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-10, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi guys and thanks for the help. Received my cable today so i'm gonna have a bash at doing this 2moro night.
Just some quick q's. Is it easy to gain access to the quad lnb to screw the new cables in.?
Will i need to check signal strength b4 I start or could doing this affect my receiver in my lounge?
Just panicking incase I make an arse of it and end up ringing sky to sort it out,
Anything else i need to know or is this a pretty simple job?
Old 23-06-10, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Quad LNB has a slide down cover,make sure to push it up(it has finger grips at both ends,and remember to slide it down,after connecting the new cable)
That will make access to the actual outputs far easier.
There's no harm in checking the signal strength or signal quality.
Signal quality is far more important than signal strength.
Sometimes the dish lnb arm,can droop downwards,from the added weight,sometimes immediately,or it might take days or weeks to happen.
Just check the signal strength and signal quality,after connecting the new cable.
A good guide here
SAT-WORLD is offline   Reply With Quote