bigger dish .. no signal

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by zeroruss, Jan 22, 2018.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Actually it is :), here's my 2.3 aluminium spun dish, its not the easiest thing to line up to track the arc very tight beam on these dishes its a walk in the park setting a 1mtr up once you've installed a large dish to track the arc,

Keep at it pal you will get there that's how I started off :)
    IMG_0312.JPG

This 2.3 will be replaced with a 3.8 shortly.

pontiend likes this.
  2. zeroruss

zeroruss Member

carer
    nice ... is that a W50 in the background? it looks a bit like mine. i cant see your G5RV .. [that sunflower is being outdone!] ha:rolleyes:

martin-f likes this.
  3. zeroruss

zeroruss Member

carer
    i should have said .. if you give the dish some "feed" .. will it grow bigger!! ... boom boom

martin-f likes this.
  4. martin-f

Hi Russ I forget what antenna it is it will be coming down shortly, I was using a directional beam but sold up now.

20160216_175909 (Custom).jpg 20160305_163939 (Custom).jpg

5. zeroruss

zeroruss Member

carer
    what a small world. for what its worth my call is G0RRL s.london. i see your nice icom. my gear is a bit old now. i was considering a ic7300 but most of the gang dont play radio much now. so i have a FT857 - TS480 - FT7800 - ft8800 which i use indoors. [and lots of handhelds]. i mostly use the 857 for airband. we are only 4 miles from biggin .. and on the fight path so i get 1st hand info. plenty of ground stuff from city and local airports rochester and southend. i dont have a G5RV as the shack is at the front of the house so the longwire goes up the side of the house and over the roof. i have to say the SDR,s recieve better than my set up since they installed all this noisy broadband everywhere here. back in the day i had an old FRG7 with a added IF filter and i had a great reception .. but alas broadband and modern switch mode psu,s seem to play havoc.
    anyhow sorry for anyone reading this. ive sidetracked. nice beam by the way. :)

martin-f likes this.
  6. martin-f

Hi Russ, a bit of a story but I had a malicious complaint about my beam and had to take it down, I sold up and in return I made a movable base and stuck the 2,3 dish on it I'm sure you will be aware of not needing planning for a movable base, they might think twice next time they want to spoil someone's hobby,

Anyhow the Icom was a 7600 a nice tool I put a Rode microphone on it and used the Prosistel rotator also a nice tool all computer controlled, the beam and rotator cage I made them myself they worked very well,

The 7300 is a nice radio my brother owns one, ive done some air band with the sdr dongle I also have a scanner somewhere I will probably set it back up at some point I still have a antenna up for it,
    DSC_0060.JPG
    Some nice radios you have there :),

I've only used cheap sdr dongles but ive been considering for a while now spending a few £ on one, I forget what make atm but one type is capable of being used as a spectrum analyser for TV transmissions,

If you find time it would be nice to here about your airband setup I for one would have interest, I think we have a section suitable for SDR.

pontiend likes this.
  7. zeroruss

zeroruss Member

carer
    is there a gen chat section?
    just started a new thread in "other discussions" CQ CQ CQ :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    martin-f likes this.