Complete novice- need help setting up Starview HD combo

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by james2428, Sep 1, 2010.

1. james2428

james2428 Member

Ok, bare with me please as i'm kinda stupid when it comes to this stuff.

I had an old starview box for years, worked a gem. It went off the other day and I understand there are no fixes for this, so I have purchased the Starview HD Combo box as I heard good things about it and it would be great to get the HD.

I've connected all the wires like the original starview but when I search for cable channels i'm not recieving any??? The signal is at about 85%... I've connected the cable wire into the cable input and the hd wire and power cable, just like the old starview, but nothing??

I then hooked up my old sky satelitte dish to it, I recieved a signal and found 700 channels under Astra 2A/2D but all the sky movies/sports etc are all scrambled?

I mainly want this for cable so the satelitte part isn't the main thing as I am getting the dish took down next week.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.:righton:

2. reiss

reiss Large Member

Have you loaded the latest firmware onto the box?
    Most areas have been hit with Nagra3 so the only way to get your HD combo to work is by connecting it to a router.
    You'll need the file GrooveRider_HD_Combo_+_0128.uad & Carling+_0712.UAD files.
    I've just set up a friends HD combo and it's working fine.

3. james2428

james2428 Member

Thanks, I'll try that now!

4. james2428

james2428 Member

I've been looking around for it... where can I download the files?

5. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Did you bother to read the stickys?

6. reiss

reiss Large Member

easiest way to keep up to date - google search bigmaq toolbar, it's usually the first result.
    Install it, and click on files and fixes, then browse to your box. That's where most people will get them from.

7. james2428

james2428 Member

I've tried downloading and installing the following file:

GrooveRider_HD_Combo_+_1214

That was the latest one on the toolbar you gave me. It's still not working... Only just bought this, confusing me as i'm used to it just working without installing anything.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. deezil69

deezil69 New Member

possible need to turn on the key emulator not sure on the combo box but think its menu 1570 go to key emu turn it on make sure you have ethernet cable connected

9. keith

keith Well-Known Member

put Carling+_0712.UAD on next hard reset then code 8989 on remote and go networking turn it on make internet is pluged in at back that for cable side sat side u need to get ccam of some1

10. keith

keith Well-Known Member

doesnt look like it

11. reiss

reiss Large Member

make sure you've connected the combo Lan port to your router, it needs an internet connection to work. As keith said, put carling file on, go to network and make sure it's got the IP address filled in automatically and that you are connecting to ustream server

12. belo123

belo123 Active Member

Do we first load the GrooveRider_HD_Combo_+_1214 file and then repeat the whole process (all steps) with Carling+_0712 file?

Or do you scan for the channels + follow all other steps with the GrooveRider file or just check the MAC address is ok then load the Carling file?

When should you connect the lan immediately or after scanning for the channels or does it not matter when its connected?

Thanks in advance

13. reiss

reiss Large Member

first load the grooverider file.
    Then factory reset.
    Check that autoroll is on by typing 8989 in the menu, go to key edit.
    Now do a full scan. If you have all your channels listed, so far so good.
    Now load the Carling file, connect the Lan to your router and go into Accessory - Network check IP settings in the menu, IP should be set to auto and all your IP settings should be filled in as well as your Mac address. If not, you're router may not be set up; mine wasn't.
    Now go to CS net, select ustream (if you're in the UK) it should connect automatically and register your box.
    If not, there are plenty of posts on the subject here.

For those of you who need a wireless solution to your lan HD combo, wizzard sat have this wireless adaptor

Good luck

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  14. belo123

belo123 Active Member

Thanks Reiss. Shall give it a go!

15. james2428

james2428 Member

I've done that all and am getting nothing, the channels aren't even showing up when I do a scan. The signal stays at 25-32% and nothing else happens.

How do I remove the grooverider file I installed and start over? By hard reset do you mean Factory settings and restore it back to factory settings?

16. stevieboy10

stevieboy10 Well-Known Member

lok m8 i also have a sv combo+ and let me tell you a little story about it. first of all i originally bought it for vermin but since i gtested sat side i havent even looked back at virgin side i now use the box for satellite only it's far superior and alot more reliable. i will help you with sat side cos the virgin side is total crap. channels missing glitchin freezing etc. and the server goes down all the time

17. sat2008

sat2008 Active Member

whats the point getting HD combo if it is only used for sat site. They need to find solition for freezing , I have the latest carling end it is terriable keep freezing ... Is it down to the server or the firmware no idea some suggest putting back the ccam fix firmware.
    If you only use the sat site then you have plenty of box option to go for. Starview needs fix the cable site

18. keith

keith Well-Known Member

phoned my dealer and he says there waiting on new firmware.just have to wait with rest

19. james2428

james2428 Member

Hi all. Is the new firmwire out yet? If it is could someone tell me step by step how to set it up. I'd highly appreciate it! I honestly haven't a clue with this sort of stuff.

20. reiss

reiss Large Member

download the BigMaq toolbar for your browser. all new firmware will appear there. (google it)