Connect two Sky Boxes to one Sky Dish?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by azwebs, Sep 2, 2007.

1. azwebs

azwebs New Member

It is possible to connect two Sky Boxes to one Sky Dish - and if so, what hardware do you recommend? I need to be able to watch a different TV channel on both boxes at the same time, but only use one dish and not pay anything extra apart from the hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. crossbones

crossbones Well-Known Member

To connect 2 receivers up to one dish, you will need a dual output lnb, or quad if your using sky+

The only way you can watch different programmes on either box is to get a multiroom sub :(

Unless its FTV channels. :)

3. azwebs

azwebs New Member

I was wondering if there was any free way of getting to watch different sky channels on two different boxes, without getting multiroom. someone must know how multiroom works, and if it just needs a second sky card then i can get one.

so, can i just use a dual lnb to split the dish output and a sky card in both boxes to recieve and unscramble the channels?

thanks.

4. Analoguesat

Analoguesat manic midlander retired mod

badly paid school computer technician
    If you want to watch two different Sky pay channels on the two boxes then as crossbones says you will need multiroom room subs which will cost an additional tenner a month.

PLUS - you will need to have BOTH boxes connected to the SAME phone line for the life of the multiroom sub.

5. crossbones

crossbones Well-Known Member

Nope no free way, if you want two boxes two cards, then you have to give Mr Rupey the bucks :(

6. Analoguesat

Analoguesat manic midlander retired mod

badly paid school computer technician
    Not easily - pay or do without

If you know your way around a couple of dreamboxes then you could cardshare over a lan, but not possible with bog standard sky boxes

7. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

Yes you can, but only one could access subscription channels at any one time without incurring extra costs.

_www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

That lists all the channels you can get on a Sky box without an active subscription.

You can however just take the card out of one box and pop it in the other with no hassle (unless you have movie/sports subscriptions).

8. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Electronics engineer and satellite installer
    You actually need a Twin LNB not a Dual LNB. Although for Sky dishes its probably easier to find a QUAD.

Aprart from FTV the cheapest way to get a second card is multiroom, an extra sub could cost much more.

9. ramkirhs

ramkirhs Active Member

I've got Sky+ and my Dad has just cancelled his Sky subscription so he has a regular Sky box going spare. Would I be right in thinking i could link this box to my existing dish and use it to watch FTA channels without the need for another sky card or anything? don't really want to pay for multiroom, just wondered if i could make use of this box really.

10. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Hi,

Yes, essentially you could.
    As long as there was a spare output on the LNB. Because Sky+ needs two feeds. So if you have a quad LNB no problem, just go and get yourself a length of satelite c@ble and a couple of F-connectors. If you have a TWIN LNB (unlikely) you will have to swap it for a quad.

get wf100 or ct100(or equivalent) c@ble if you don't mind paying a bit extra ( it's about 50p a metre)

No card would be required to watch the FTA channels.
    To watch the FTV channels a 'Freesat from sky' card (£20 from Sky) is needed.

Look here for a channel list (FTA & FTV only)

http://www.ftasat.co.uk/

EDIT:

His old subs card will work as a FTV card, so it won't cost you anything.

Robbo

11. ramkirhs

ramkirhs Active Member

Cheers for the info Robbo, much appreciated, will have a play. I've been pondering having a go at getting a second dish as well, in an effort to pick up other fta channels, possibly with the footie on but hadn't really known where to start. This site looks to be a god send!

12. ramkirhs

ramkirhs Active Member

Another quickie, do i assume that my exisitng LNB that came with my Sky+ install is likely to be a quad LNB? I got the sky installed just over a year ago.

13. $ly

$ly Super Moderator

If it has four outputs then it is likley to be a quad LNB.

Rgds

L.:)

14. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Yes as Lancelot says go and look at it, if it has four connectors on it, it will be a QUAD. Apparently anyway they don't generally fit a TWIN because there were problems with them, but they could have used old stock.

Regarding receiving other 'free' channels, with your Sky box(es) you already have everything that is available on the satellite cluster (28.2E=28.5E) that sky use. So to receive other 'free' channels you would need to point at different satellite(s), Either using a multi-LNB setup, or a motorised dish.

Have a look on http://www.lyngsat.com
    19E.2E, 13E, 1W , 30W, 16E, 8E, 5E possibly more worth having a look at.

Robbo

15. ramkirhs

ramkirhs Active Member

Thanks once again...I've gone from a mild curiosity to what i could possibly do with a spare sky box to now seriously considering a full on second satellite setup thanks to this place :D
    Downside for you guys is to expect more stupid questions coming your way....

16. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

That's my boy :yahoo:

Ask all the stupid questions you like. We'll try not to give stupid answers :roflmao:

Go on, get a motorized setup, you know you want to. :tease:

Robbo

17. ramkirhs

ramkirhs Active Member

Just been researching that Technomate receiver you mentioned on my other thread....seen this listed under its features...

# On Screen diseqc and usals positioner display- moves dish incase of rain and bad wheather
    # Auto satellite finder- just turn usals ON and select, for example, HotBird and it will find it instantly

I'm gathering from that that if i've got a motorised dish I can use this usals(?) function to programme the technomate to point to the different satellites pretty much at the click of a button....sounds seriously cool 8). Cue massive argument with the missus tomorrow when i break the news that I'd now like to bolt a motorised dish to the side of the house! :cheers:

18. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Those features are not unique to the Technomates, most satellite receivers can do those things, even the Lidl and Maplin cheapos.

USALS is just a natty program that works out how far it has to turn the motor to find your satellite based on your Latitude and longitude.

Diseqc 1.2 actually controls the motor down the coax caable that goes to the LNB. A lot of people use Diseqc 1.2 on its own, whereby you have to store all the positions one by one manually.

I didn't tell 'er indoors, I just put it up when she was at work. Too late once it was up :roflmao: :roflmao:

By the way, between us we've managed to knock this thread right off topic :oops: so if you want to ask any more motorised questions it would be better to start a new thread. ( or perhaps a mod who can edit this section will split it off and move it )

19. nanochickin

nanochickin Well-Known Member

Once they see what slushy cr@p they can get on it they soon warm to the idea :D

20. Cardiff

Cardiff New Member

Hi,
    Pls I will appreciate any help in making my sky connections. I currently have a standard pace skybox (not sky +) and (I'm no longer on subscription so can view the free channels).
    I want to buy a second sybox to be connected to my tv so I can be able to record one channel while watching another.
    I was informed I only need to buy a 'splitter' (what's that?) and split the cable that came into my room from the dish into 2 and connect the second cable to the second box. But I read here somewhere that the connection would need a new LNB or something. Please can someone help me out.
    2. Will I need a new viewing card for the second box?
    3. How do I connect the second box to the tv as one skybox is already connected to the same tv and the tv only has one socket for an aerial?
    Thanks.