FEC Error on Hotbird 13

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by dilanr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dilanr

dilanr New Member

Engineer
    I set-up my satellite dish last weekend in Nottingham. This is the first time I am doing this. I have an egg shape sky dish 70x55. I bought a bran new LNB with HD ready and 0.1 db. It supposedly strong enough to get weak signals as well.

I have already got more than 600 free channels via auto scan, but I am particularly interested in some channels on Hotbird 13, 12476 H, 27500, FEC 3/4. When I search manually I get full signals for FEC 5/6 but not 3/4, what might be the problem? Why would I have full signal for FEC 5/6 and not 3/4? I have checked the data for the channels and the information is correct. I am all new in this I appreciate your help in plain English :)

My receiver is a Samsung DRS9500 which I have tried to upgrade the software without success. If you have tips on this please let me know.

More info on (Hotbird 13, 12476 H, 27500, FEC 3/4) at the bottom on this page lyngsat dot com/hb8.html Hot Bird 8 at 13.0°E

2. SAT-WORLD

SAT-WORLD Well-Known Member

Have you tried deleting the transponder and then manually adding it and then rescanning.(page 21 of the manual).
    What is the signal quality level,when you set the FEC at 3/4?
    Have you tried scanning it and see if you can receive the channels at all?
    Regarding the software update,from the manual:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. dilanr

dilanr New Member

Engineer
    Thank you for prompt respond.

Have you tried deleting the transponder and then manually adding it and then rescanning. -- No I have not done this. I need to read the manual to see if I can do this. But I returned to factory setting which did not changed much. The data provided by LYNGSAT as 12476 H tp 89, is that 89 refereeing to transponder Belgium Satellite Services? It is odd I just looked at the manual online and I see that Samsung DSR9500 has Delete Transponder section but not add New Transponder. How can this happen?

What is the signal quality level,when you set the FEC at 3/4? -- for that particular frequency is zerro, but on the same frequency if I go to 5/6 I have full signal. May be the transponder is not there at all :(

Have you tried scanning it and see if you can receive the channels at all? -- well I did auto scan and I received more than 600 channels but not this particular ones which I am looking for.

The manual says:

Manual Scanning
    To tune-in new channels and weak signals, the DSR 9500A has been provided with
    the option "Manual Scanning" where the channel data can be entered by the user.
    After selecting the "5. Manual Scanning" from the Installation Menu,
    the following screen will be displayed:
     Select the target satellite for manual search.
     Load a transponder.
    This option will enable the user to load any
    transponder from the preprogrammed list
    available within the receiver.

Note : When you enter Frequency after setting
    Load TR to New, the entered information
    must include at least one channel to make
    channel save possible.
     Input the frequency of the transponder you want to find.
     Input the symbol rate of the transponder you want to find.

I have done this many times, but I did not not notice any significant value in TP loading so I put it on NEW all the time.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. SAT-WORLD

Having checked,Samsung has limited software downloads via satellite and there are NO software downloads via Hotbird:

Search Results for - KingOfSat

The transponder is broadcasting normally,last night.
    I was watching Al Rasheed last night,on that transponder.

5. SAT-WORLD

Looks like the Samsung DRS9500,only deletes the channels from a particular transponder and not the actual transponder,according to the manual.
    Just select manual scanning instead.
    Do you receive any channels,if the FEC is left on 5/6,at all?

6. dilanr

dilanr New Member

Engineer
    I did this but it did not work, it just keep saying you can update. I even wrote to Samsung but I have not received any response yet.

7. dilanr

dilanr New Member

Engineer
    Yes, this is the odd thing, I get 28 channel if I have the TP on new, and 5/6 setting for 12476 H, when I look at the list at lyngsat list there are no channels for 12476 H 5/6 listed at all. So I am not sure what exactly happens here.

8. Petrushka

Petrushka New Member

I have been watching Hotbird channels for 7 years now using a 90cm dish. Occasionally, for a period of several hours, the 1800 or so channels come in loud and clear, with the exception of those on transponder 12476, which have signal strength zero. I live in Essex. Can anyone suggest the cause of this, and what i can do about it?

9. cactikid

cactikid Well-Known Member

which like any channel possible movement is to check movement on your box and transponder info to see if it changes,a good site is KINGOFSATS.