Freesat box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by madrat, Dec 31, 2017.

1. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

That's what I was going by M8.

Most Linux Sat boxes can use ABM to get the official Freesat numbers and Freesat EPG is supported but most non-Linux can't. This particular box does not appear to be a licensed product and does not look like a Linux box but does look to support EPG and channel numbers

martin-f likes this.
  2. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think your correct Ian thanks for pointing it out, ive found this on another forum.

I've had a new satellite dish installed, so I can now comment on the "Freesat" part of this receiver.
    I did a scan and it received all FTA channels on Astra 28.2E. The channels are in no logical order, as would be expected. The first 6 channels are Channel 4 and the first hundred or so are various BBC, ITV and Channel 4 channels and their regional variations. The channel numbers start at 2000, and the BBC 1 HD channel is way up on 2269.
    You can move channels, but it's very time consuming and their channel number doesn't change.
    The quickest way to find the channel you want is to use the channel list and type in the name of the channel you want, or select alphabet which will list channels by letter.
    As anybody who has manual channels on their Freesat box will know the ITV English regions apart from Border don't show their name. The only way to find your region is by watching when the regional news programmes are on.
    There is no 7 day EPG on satellite, only now and next.
    It's the advertisers, not the manufacturer which claim this is a Freesat and Freeview box. It can be used in Ireland and several other countries.
    The terrestrial channels are in exactly the same order and have the same channel numbers as on Freeview and they do have a 7 day EPG.
    I have no complaints about picture quality and I would say this receiver is good value for money. It's not for somebody who doesn't want to trawl through a list to find the channel they want though.

cactikid likes this.
  3. cactikid

cactikid Well-Known Member

think i can agree as many receivers that dont do a good epg and bouquets are to be avoided as i can never remember where things are.

martin-f likes this.
  4. martin-f

All my viewings done on sky, my satellite boxes are only for feedhunting might watch the odd footy match/boxing, so I never check epg and very rare scan 28.2E

5. madrat

madrat Well-Known Member

martin-f likes this.
  6. madrat

madrat Well-Known Member

So is there a small 12v LINUX FTA box???

martin-f likes this.
  7. martin-f

@lincsat Ian should be able to sort you out with one madrat.

8. madrat

madrat Well-Known Member

I cant seem to send messages???

martin-f likes this.
  9. martin-f

Inbox might be full he will contact you when he logs in.

madrat likes this.