HD TV/PS3/SKY+/Surround sound set up

Discussion in 'Home Media' started by lamboluke, Nov 15, 2007.

1. lamboluke

lamboluke New Member

Ok, was hoping for some help as i'm going a little insane here with trying to work out how i'll connect it all up when our tv arrives next week.

We've bought a HD Tv - Panasonic TH42PZ70B
    Surround sound - Panasonic SC-PT850And a -
    PS3, SKY+
    (back of the tv for reference):
    hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Panasonic-TH42PZ70B/connection.jpg

Now my dilema is how to connect the lot up. The TV has two HDMI slots in the back, so this is how i'm going to connect the PS3 to the TV via HDMI cable (already have).
    The surround sound has HDMI slot, as well as an optical out, aux and scart. Now would i connect the ps3 to the surround sound via an optical cable (which i have), as obviously the HDMI slot on the ps3 is connecting to the tv.

What about the sky+? I have stereo cables which i would imagine go into the aux slot (on the surround sound, and from the sky+'s aux as it isnt an HD signal)
    Sky+ rear for refference
    chrisgreen.co.uk/wp-content/Uploaded_Content/PICT0350S.jpg

Would i need to connect the surround sound to the tv? Or not as the surround sound would be connected to the ps3/sky+ and they would be connected to the tv any way, and i dont plan on watching standard 1-5 through the tv.

Am i right? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Ps the pictures arent mine, just using them for refference. Thanks!

2. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

You actually missed the fairly important image of the rear of your surround sound ;)
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure whether you are aware, but the Surround Sound amp contains a DVD player (with full Dobly Decoding & Whatever).

I -think- Sky+ supports 5.1 surround sound, hence the reason it has optical out, but someone will have to back me up on this, but I doubt it's carried on many channels (so I wouldn't worry about it).

So here's what I would do:
    • Connect the PS3 to the TV via. HDMI
    • Connect the PS3 to the Surround Sound via. Optical
    • Connect the Surround Sound to the TV via. HDMI
    • Connect the Sky+ Box to the TV via. SCART
    • Connect the Sky+ Box to the Surround Sound via. Red&White :]
    Sorted ;)

3. lamboluke

lamboluke New Member

Thats a great help there Gav! I take my hat off to you for finding the picture of the back of the surround sound system lol, i spent ages and failed to find a big enough pic!

The way you've explained it is great as thats really easy to follow :)!!!
    One question, you say you doubt 5.1 is carried on many channels... but on the chanels it isnt, with the surround sound connecterd via red/white will it still play out of all 5 speakers?

Also, what are your opinions on optical switches?
    tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/fi=products/st=db/sp=resultsprod/co=1/sf=prod_group/se=Digital%20Optical%20Splitter/op=eq/nu=0/ml=50.html

Thank you!
    EDIT: Just bought another HDMI cable as i needed another :)!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  4. Jimdefruit

Jimdefruit Super Something

Red and white is not surround sound it is only stereo. However, the unit may split the signal to give psuedo surround by reversing the front channels to the rear speakers.

5. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

Well, the red and white leads only carry stereo, so you're Sky+ box won't be outputting surround sound anyway. Your speakers will either just send the right channel to the front right speaker and the left channel to the front left speaker and leave the rest off, or it will join the front and rear speakers together so they're playing the same sound.

That particular optical splitter is for 1 source to 2 recievers, which is the opposite of what you want. You want something like this, then you can set it up as follows and get 5.1 from the Sky+ Box SW001 - Toslink Switch - Digital Audio Optical Switch - Only £7.99 at www.tvcables.co.uk :
    • Connect the PS3 to the Optical Switch to the Surround Sound
    • Connect the Sky+ Box to the Optical Switch to the Surround Sound

6. lamboluke

lamboluke New Member

Thank you for the replies :)! Do you think i should go with the optical splitter? Would it still give top quality sound through the optical signal? If so i'll buy it and then buy another optical cable to have both the ps3 and the sky+ playing 5.1 :)!
    Appreciate all this help btw, thank you :)!

7. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

The optical switch, not the splitter yes;)

There should be NO quality loss, because of the way optical cables work. They send the sound as data that has to be processed on the receiving end, rather than other cables which are processed by the source.

A bad optical cable wouldn't reduce quality, it would maybe make sound packets drop occasionally, but the sound quality would be perfect.

8. lamboluke

lamboluke New Member

Sorry, i keep getting mixed up. I'll buy that optical switch now and also another optical cable ;)!
    I really do appreciate the help, its just a pain having to wait for the TV to turn up lol, but i'll order the switch and other optical cable so its ready when it does turn up. Thank you :)!

9. AVdude101

AVdude101 New Member

Re: HD TV/PS3/Surround sound set up

hi,

i have recently purchased TOSHIBA 40XF355DB and have a PANASONI SC-HT540 and a PS3.

i was wondering how i would connect all these up together so i can get the surround sound for the PS3.

any one able to help?

many thanks

10. Jimdefruit

I dont think you can because it doesn't have the input facilities. Several people have asked the same question. I really don't know why Panasonic make the unit. Its a very expensive DVD player.

11. lliam182

lliam182 New Member

Brilliant post, cant beleive it but this is exactly the post i was looking for, thanks Gav.:smile:

I have a quick question tho, will the above setup work the same with my samsung R87 and Samsung HT-X250R? I also have PS3 and Sky+...

TIA

12. JimmyP_69

JimmyP_69 New Member

I am after some advice on how best to setup my new system.

PANASONIC TH-37PX80BA (TV)
    PANASONIC SC-PT460EB-K (surruond sound) (SS)
    PS3

I have just bought two hdmi cables and am looking to setup my ps3 with the surround sound. At present i have hdmi from tv to ss and hdmi from ps3 to tv but this only give me video and no sound. Any help would be appreciated.

13. Denno

Denno New Member

I have a similar problem to that mentioned earlier in the thread. I have a new Samsung LCD TV, Sky box, PS3 and Samsung Surround Sound. I was going to to set it up as mentioned.

• Connect the PS3 to the Surround Sound via. Optical
    • Connect the Sky+ Box to the Surround Sound via. Red&White :]
    But then I read that you can't get 5.1 via red and white. Can the optical splitter be used with a standard sky box or just with an HD box? If so how do you set it up. Red and white from sky box to splitter, optical to TV?

Thanks

14. Denno

Denno New Member

So I cant connect my PS3 to my surround sound via optical? I can only play dvd's in 5.1 with the supplied system but not blueray on my ps3?

I'm getting a little confused because Lamboluke has a Panasonic surround system and it was recommended to link PS3 and the Surround.

15. Breakout

Breakout New Member

Hi,

Really useful information from everyone about connecting it all up. I'll admit, I'm an idiot who hasn't got the slightest clue about how to connect things up. My equipment is slightly different to others mentioned but not alot different. Would it all work in the same way? I'll tell you what I'd like to connect and if possible, could someone let me know how to? Thanks in advance.

I have:

Panasonic TV (TX-32LXD8)
    Panasonic Home Theater Sound System (SC-PT175)
    Sky+HD
    PS3

I'd like to connect the Sky+HD and PS3 to surround sound. What would be the best option?

Thanks again. You don't know how pleased I'd be if someone could let me know what I need to do!

16. EKAL

EKAL New Member

Hi All

new to this forum, hopefully like other forums I have been on, I can gain as much information as I give.

thanks in advance,

AL

How do I connect these lot?

Sony DVD - DAV-DZ530 - 1 HDMI out port - connected to TV via HDMI and Scart( I know not both req)

Toshiba AV50 sries - REGZA - 2 HDMI input ports (plenty scarts)

Cable (Virgin+ box) connected to TV via HDMI

PS3 - new model

to connect PS3, by HDMI I need to unplug the DVD HDMI.

I was told by a mate to get an HDMI splitter, I done this, but it doesnt work(unless I have it in the wrong slots

17. Jimdefruit

Hi EKAL. I am sorry but you cant connect those items to get surround sound from all sources. Like most of the proprietory 'surround sound' systems, the Sony doesn't have an input facility. It can play surround sound from its internal DVD and thats it. Sony themselves say that on their website.

Why companies make and sell these systems is a mystery to me except that they are only interested in making money.

If anyone wants surround sound from various digital sources then they need to buy a proper AV amplifier with surround sound facilities.

Since the TV does not have surround sound capabilities you can only use the analogue red and white phono connections for stereo sound from other components. Obviously the sky box and PS3 player will connect to the TV via HDMI but the output will only be stereo.

18. Taj007

Taj007 New Member

HI GUYS!!!

i recently brought a PS3/Sony KDL52W5800 (tv)/ Panasonic SCPT870EBK (home cinema system) and i have a sky+ box.

i need help in regards to how i should connect everything up so i maximise the use of everything.

E.G i want the tv channels to be playing from the sound out of the cinema speakers like wise with the ps3 ETC (with the best quality)

can you please help me on this

thanks

Taj

19. EKAL

EKAL New Member

BUMMER, thought as much mate, not to bad, only paid £10 for splitter, so not a lot wasted, just need to find something to do with my splitter now:wacko::wacko:

thanks for your help

AL

20. stueee

stueee New Member

I have the same problems as most of these posts, however, my surround sound system is an old one & doesn't have optical or HDMI. its a Technics DV-290.

Any suggestions how to connect a PS3 & Sky+ box to a HD TV & surround sound system with only 2 video inputs, 1 video output, S-Video connection & 1 Red & White audio:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!