Installing sky multiroom myself????

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by markymark123, Jun 18, 2010.

1. markymark123

markymark123 Well-Known Member

HI guys, I have a sky+ box in my lounge and have been given a sky Hd box free tonight so I swapped boxes and watched the footy in HD.
    My question is now that I have a spare sky+ box can i put that in my bedroom and run a new cable from my sat dish to the receiver as my sat dish is on my bedroom wall. Is it as easy as that or not?

2. kegnkiwi

kegnkiwi Well-Known Member

Its that easy as long as you have a spare output or two on your dish, assuming your just wanting to watch fta channels. If you wanting more then you'll need a card thats paired to each box.

3. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Electronics engineer and satellite installer
    Yes, as long as you have a quad LNB already, (pretty much guaranteed if you have Sky+ already), just run a couple of extra cables to the new location from the dish.
    Try to use wf100 or pf100 or similar if you can, else the cheapo RG6 satellite cable will suffice if the run is not too long. Some screw on F-connectors on the ends and you are sorted. Don't forget the 'drip loop" if you need to drill a new hole in the wall, and a dob of silcone sealant.

4. markymark123

Looking at my sat dish It looks like there is 4 connections and 2 of them are being used by my receiver in the lounge.
    I am happy just to receive fta channels.
    So do u think this is ok b4 I start splashing out on cable and fittings?

5. unadkat

unadkat Well-Known Member

right my sat knowledge is not the greatest but I assume you want another Box in another location within the same property.

4 outputs / connections means you have a quad LNB and if you want another receiver in a another room in the same property then yes it can be done... however you will need to run another cable from the LNB to the other room. Using the cables specified above by Rob.

p.s: I used to be told that you can use a RG6 cable as long as its 75ohm or above. 100m WF100 s is on fleebay for 30 quid :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  6. markymark123

Hi guys and thanks for the help. Received my cable today so i'm gonna have a bash at doing this 2moro night.
    Just some quick q's. Is it easy to gain access to the quad lnb to screw the new cables in.?
    Will i need to check signal strength b4 I start or could doing this affect my receiver in my lounge?
    Just panicking incase I make an arse of it and end up ringing sky to sort it out,
    Anything else i need to know or is this a pretty simple job?

7. SAT-WORLD

SAT-WORLD Well-Known Member

The Quad LNB has a slide down cover,make sure to push it up(it has finger grips at both ends,and remember to slide it down,after connecting the new cable)
    That will make access to the actual outputs far easier.
    There's no harm in checking the signal strength or signal quality.
    Signal quality is far more important than signal strength.
    Sometimes the dish lnb arm,can droop downwards,from the added weight,sometimes immediately,or it might take days or weeks to happen.
    Just check the signal strength and signal quality,after connecting the new cable.
    A good guide here

8. davey boi

davey boi New Member

how about if im a new build with communal dish and 2 feeds and this is my wall box connector

Attached Files:

9. Mickha

Mickha Well-Known Member

The two outputs are for a Sky HD box, with twin tuners, so that you can record one channel, and view others.
    You can run a co-ax cable, from one of the outputs, to another room, but you would only be able to use the two satellite outputs, one for each room.
    Why not contact whoever looks after the communal dish and enquire if they can run extra feeds, to extra rooms, for Sky multiroom.

10. warrior2311

warrior2311 New Member

Full Time Carer
    yes you can do that but if you want to watch HD stuff you will need a multi room subscription off sky I think £12/15 something a month for the card and all they just activate it on your system, or you can buy a freesat card for £25 off sky that's what I did for our spare room and watch free channels.
    hope this helps shane from manchester