Is Card Sharing Really Viable?

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by Neosophist, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Neosophist

Neosophist Well-Known Member

Since forum rules do not permit discussion of card-sharing techniques this isn't going to be a technical post.

I said goodbye to Virgin TV just before the world cup when I switched to Sky+ HD (great piece of kit btw) but gave my old STB to a friend to use as a secondary box in his kids bedoroom.

Since the new batch of cards he's obviously lost most of the channels on the secondary box.

After having a read around on the forum (first time in a few months) I see that people are using CS to get around N3.

I just can't see it working in the long-term on such a large-scale.

How many legitimate subscriptions would be needed for each area, who pays for all of these, especially when sales of cable boxes tail off.

Whats to stop Virgin from buying one of these boxes themselves and making a list of all the cards being shared and killing them off? If they don't already have a box already. Then who pays for new subcriptions?

I've seen it work on a small / underground scale, especially with a few people splitting to cost of a satellite subcription amongst 5 or 6 people, but anything this large surely can't go under the radar of the cable co?

Espcially after they finally spent so much time and money rolling out new viewing cards.

I'm just interested to see what people think about this, as from what i've read a lot of people are buying boxes that might not even work very soon, from sellers claiming to offer 12 month subscriptions etc.

I'm not trying to scare-monger either, just every other large-scale CS operation i've read about seems to do down when the provider gets wind of it.

2. jimbo

jimbo Moderator Staff Member

i dont like the discussion its not liked on this forum, all i can say is vermin could have disabled all hacks long time ago even on the old cards by doing something more positive instead of the methods they used, so they may also kind of give c/s a bye ball if ppl are still paying for bb, this is only my view im sure others may think differntly?

3. Neosophist

Interesting...

I was a bit cautious about what I was asking, feel free to delete it if it goes off track / breaches the rules.

I think the main thing was that i've seen plenty of new shops spring up offering these types of boxes as a new solution without even mentioning the fact it might just disappear a week from now.

Get rich quick maybe?

4. safe-cracker

safe-cracker Well-Known Member

the cable modding scene has always been a get rich quick type of industry, how many retailers stopped selling starview/kryptview when they knew n3 was coming?

not many and alot of these are still selling boxes to unsuspecting customers. Advertising c/s as 12months is a sure fast way of getting custom but the savvy among us know this can't be guarenteed

you dont really have any comebacks on purchasing illegal items so you spend you money and take your chance.

hasnt it always been like this?

5. wob

wob Well-Known Member

yes but it will be like the old days when you knew someone who chipped a box..the free for all fta box era is over.. years ago you paid someone to chip your box and paid them again for a new card or whatever..when the fta era happened every tom dick or harry could set up a box with a quick flash..

now alot more people are into this scene because of the fta boxes..and frequenting forums like this...ive talked to a few people this last few months and overwhelmly the vast majority are saying cardshareing is crap because of downtime glitches etc etc....basically from what they are reading whilst googling cardshare ;)

welcome to the era of private invite only dedicated non glitch secure subbed cs servers !!

6. boomer39

boomer39 Well-Known Member

retired lazy git
    i personally would not touch cs with a barge pole.. dont know too much about it really but have seen too many complaints... we had enough probs before, but were fixed pdq,thanks lads. dont this cs will be the same.. especially for the less techy minded if you get my drift.. this site and others would be a nightmare when things go awol....i am happy to pay back to vermin a little bit more, and watch my main "concern"...lfc, in the pub more or on the pc....

7. wob

wob Well-Known Member

well then theres going to be nothing in the cable or sat section for you anymore cs is the only game in town....cardshareing has been going on years and the guys who have been doing it years must be doing summit right??theres people on carshares now with glitch free viewing and there has been for years..myself included

8. jimbo

well u said earlier c/s was crap glitching now ur saying glitch free make ur mind up lol

9. wob

wob Well-Known Member

if you read my above post correctly i said

ive talked to a few people this last few months and overwhelmly the vast majority are saying cardshareing is crap because of downtime glitches etc etc....basically from what they are reading whilst googling cardshare

i didnt say me ;)

10. jimbo

so ur a lucky one then? lol

11. wob

wob Well-Known Member

nope m8 just done my homework ;) and didnt google cardshare lol

12. jimbo

thats a cyrptic post?

13. andyjill

andyjill Well-Known Member

Ive read more if your c/s with say your m8s where they are not greedy and adding loads of ppl onto your system, then they run very well.

14. unadkat

unadkat Well-Known Member

not sure what you mean by this ... but the more u reshare the worse it gets depending on ya bandwidth. i.e on a 1MB upload u can easily have 50 peeps running smoothly without any freezes or glitches.

15. wob

wob Well-Known Member

it isnt at all m8...its all about contacts over the years..comming onto forums like this dealing with members over a period of time etc..getting good name for yourself..helping others out and when you decide to get into say cardshareing theres loads of online buddies to point you in the correct direction..

the poster above makes a point about c/s with your m8s adding loads of people onto your system and they run well..

1stly you have to pay full subs to sly..secondly you have to get yourself a modded dreambox or whatever to run as the server..it needs modded to keep the temperature down to save your card from frying...you have to prolly purchase your friends and families dreamboxes or whatever..goto their house's,set them up there and collect their part of YOUR subs you pay to sly ..hardly feesable and not worth the hassle

16. unadkat

unadkat Well-Known Member

The dm box doesnt need to be modded... just requires a modded image.. and a cam... and yes you need a local card in order for you to share the card no doubt...

the card defo fries I agree, as I have read about that issue which is why u need a NDS blocker.

either way doing c/s from your own house.. i.e running a server is basically bringing heat to yourself, not something I would be entirely be keen on.

:cheers:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  17. boomer39

boomer39 Well-Known Member

retired lazy git
    as i said earlier, what chance have the less techy minded people got??? very little.......

18. TheCoder

TheCoder Underground Crew Member

As little as possible
    Its been working pretty well for years now elsewhere. Technically, cable is no different from sat.

It depends on the CS implementation but a proper CS server would require very few subscriptions. From what i've heard 10-15 subs would be the maximum ever required

Afaik, the cards identities are never reported to clients so there's no way for VM to tell which cards are being used in the servers. Any CS that actually passed out a source cards identity would be pretty poor design.

Probably not but the larger servers tend to be hosted in places that tend to be outside the reach of UK/EU/US law. Of course the servers can be blocked but its usually not difficult to change the IP address of a server or even the physical location if necessary. In most cases, its actually much easier to trace and close down the smaller local servers.

It will be interesting to see what they will do to combat the problem but even a pro-active company like Sky seems to be struggling to stop card-sharing so I really dont hold out too much optimism that VM will be able to stop it.

tbh, I cant imagine that anyone would actually believe such bumpf. There can never be any guarantee with this kind of stuff. You pays your money and you takes your chance !

You might get 12 months, you might get longer but equally it could all be gone next week.

Strangely, its often the smaller CS operations that go down rather than the big boys. The smaller ones often tend to be run from the target country (a stupid thing to do) or a closely allied country and also tend to be very underfunded whilst charging high subscriptions (ie lots of profit with little outlay). The big boys (still lots of profit but tend to be a little better funded and somewhat better thought out) seem to mostly survive.

19. wob

wob Well-Known Member

in a nut shell TheCoder :cheers:

20. Neosophist

Awesome. Just the kind of reply I was after :D

I see.. the receiving end never catches wind of the original card ID's!

Thanks for the detailed reply