It's War on ''Dodgy'' box users

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by gms1, Apr 21, 2008.

1. gms1

gms1 Well-Known Member

Little story from today's Irish Daily Star some of you may find interesting/amusing.

Firm vows decoder crackdown
    TV VIEWERS who use illegal equipment to tune into premium channels on the cheap are set
    to face a major crackdown.
    Cable firm UPC Ireland is thought to be losing millions of euro`because viewers are buying illegal decoder boxes and using them to watch UPC's 130-channel digital pay-TV package.
    UPC charges customers €32 per month for the channels — but unscrupulous viewers can get an illegal decoder for a one-off payment of €110 without paying a penny to UPC.
    Now the company is fighting back and warning customers not to be tempted to buy the illegal equipment.
    Offence:
    "Use of equipment such as Starview, The Box, Eurovox, Digivox, Dreambox or similar decryption devices is a criminal and civil offence and UPC reserves the right to prosecute offenders to the fullest extent of the law," the firm said.
    UPC is also making the lives of nonpaying viewers more difficult — by changing the encryption codes on their channels so the illegal boxes are no longer able to unscramble them.
    During the Premier League clash between Manchester United and Arsenal last Sunday, UPC changed the code for Sky Sports 1 twice, causing the black market boxes to lose the signal.
    The cable TV firm is also cracking
    down on the suppliers of the boxes, with a successful prosecution over a find by gardai of €70,000 worth of illegal equipment at a premises in Finglas, Dublin.
    However, no successful lawsuit has yet been brought against a person who used one of the illegal boxes at home.
    Illegal:
    The decoders are illegal under Irish and European law, breaching both broadcasting and copyright legislation.
    They are usually sold at dodgy-street markets or on the Internet for between €110 and €250 and work as long as UPC doesn't change the encryption codes on their channels.
    If they do, then the dodgy boxes are useless until the user finds out the new encryption code and programmes it in.
    Users on a number of Internet forums advise each other on how to use the boxes and post up new encryption codes whenever the codes are changed.
    SeIutiovt
    However, UPC spokesperson Anna-Maria Barry said the firm is planning to block out the boxes for good.
    "We will be working with our encryption solution providers to introduce another level of security to render these boxes permanently inoperative." she said.

2. saroilium

saroilium Well-Known Member

"The decoders are illegal under Irish and European law" is it not the connecting to premium channels that is illegal and not owning of one??

3. gms1

gms1 Well-Known Member

That's what it says. ''Use off'' is illegal not owning.

4. sec221

sec221 Well-Known Member

yes

thats what i thought

5. saroilium

saroilium Well-Known Member

that quote seems like a bit of scaremongering as they go on to say noone has been successfully prosecuted!!!

6. gadgetfiend

gadgetfiend Single-Malt-Swigger

the decoders are illegal once flashed with adapted firmware they dont have to be connected to a live feed.

7. wizweb

wizweb Well-Known Member

€32 and the rest UP*!!!

......:whistle:

8. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

Not illegal if you only use the box to watch channels that you subscribe to - it is then a breach of contract, assuming you have signed a contract agreeing not to connect any un-authorised equipment to the cable feed.

9. racecoursepete

racecoursepete Well-Known Member

Is there a legal firmware? One that just allows normal channels? I say this because my eurovox is always connected to my pc and if i spy trouble through my camera at the door i can just flash it before i answer. By normal channels i mean non sub channels.

10. gadgetfiend

gadgetfiend Single-Malt-Swigger

The firmware is designed to compromise the nagra encryption system which makes it illegal and you can be prosecuted if found with any of this type of modified receiver that is capable of this wether its connected or not.

11. mitford

mitford Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that article is a fool in my opinion. Fair enough writing the article but why would you put all the names of each box in there? People will have read that and thought ooooh free tv eurovox starview i think i will have a look into that. So rather than scaremongering i think they may have done the opposite.

Just my opinion:nah_nah:

12. leythdave

leythdave Well-Known Member

I agree, they have named all the boxs that can be used!!

Muppets.

13. chancer

chancer Well-Known Member

Ah but Pete,who is going to dare go onto the Racecourse from V****n :rudeboy: