ITV in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by Grublet, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Grublet

Grublet Member

Hi,

I'm Grublet and totally new to this game. Have lived in Holland for 22 years, but can't hack it any more without ITV. :tease:
    I have BBC1 and 2 via cable, but really want ITV. How do I go about it via satellite? Have no idea at all, so step by step instructions are a must for me. I usually catch on quite quick though.:righton:
    Looking around a bit on the internet I understand that ITV is free to view, all you need to do is point at the right satellite (or something). Are there any kind people out there who will help this damsel in distress. Thanks!!

2. Physcogem

Physcogem clueless but getin there

itv is free to air on 28e

3. fredhead

fredhead Well-Known Member

Hi Grublet ,

I also live in holland and like you my wife had to have ITV , couldn't live without it. I suppose the first thing we need to know is what kit do you have ? ie : dish + receiver .
    I can tell you that we receive Itv 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , and quite a few more English programmes .

Regards ,
    Fred.

4. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Electronics engineer and satellite installer
    Being in Holland you should not have too much difficulty receiving the Astra 2D satellite at 28.2E, on which the FTA ITV channnels are carried.

Here is the footprint form lyngsat
    Astra 2D at 28.2°E - LyngSat Maps

For working out where to point the dish go to dishpointer.com

The actual dish size would vary a liitle, depending on the actual location within Holland, probably starting at around 80cm and getting larger towards the West.

Fredhead, should be able to advise better, as he is on the spot.

5. Grublet

Grublet Member

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all your replys.
    I haven't got anything as yet. Saw a couple of sets last night on the internet but don't know if they're any good. To be honest wouldn't know where to start. Am i better off going to a shop or looking at webshops?

Fredhead, I would love advise from you as you are getting what I want. ITV 1, 2, 3 and 4. I live nearby Dordrecht which is about 15 minutes SE from Rotterdam if that helps.

Would love to be able to have this set up asap as all the good dramas and series are on in the winter months.
    Grublet

6. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

If you have problems getting a receiver locally, one of the German sat shops would sort you out. satplace.de for example. Something like a Clark-tech 1500 would do the job.

7. fredhead

Hello Grublet ,

You shouldn't have any problems receiving all the FTA channels in Dordrecht . Firstly you should decide on how or what is best for you , do you want to buy all the pieces required separately or will you go for a complete package? If you choose to buy separately you will require a Dish as Robbo said 80 cm should be ok or go for something a little bigger to be safe , as for the rest :
    LNB , Receiver , cable and connectors are required.
    Will you attempt the installation yourself ?
    If you do want to try yourself then the guys here can and will give you excellent advice and support.
    If you really want everthing up and running a.s.a.p. you could buy all from a sat shop and they could also install for you , all you need to tell them is what Sat you want to receive .
    Again as Robbo indicated you need Astra 2D satellite at 28.2E.
    Robbo mentions the Clark-tech 1500 as a good receiver , I will leave all the technical stuff for him to inform you as he gave me expert advice when I started .
    Keep asking questions until you're comfatable with everything.

Fred.

8. Grublet

Grublet Member

Have recieved this info from a sat web shop. Is this ok or not?

Ziezotec Electronics BV - Expat TV System

9. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Wayyy overpriced! It looks like a cheap and nasty receiver, and only a 64cm dish.

But the picture is good as it shows you the items you need.

I would expect to pay about that price for a nice TD88 (88cm) dish with a well known quality receiver like the Clarke Tech inc everything needed. Or you could get a Kaon FTA reciver, also a well known brand ( never tried one though) for 40 euros.

I mention the Clarke Tech as I have two Technomates, and they are basically the same beast, very easy to use and setup.

10. Grublet

Grublet Member

So I now understand that i need a dish, a receiver, an LNB (what's that?), cable and connectors.

will go on the search and post what i've found. Just heard from my neighbour that his mate can set it up for me. He's got some kind of a thing thats sets the dish in the right direction? My mum will buy it for me for christmas (am allowed to get it now), so all I need to do is sort out what i need and order it.

Am getting excited as this is all new to me.

11. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

The LNB is just the bit that goes on the end of the LNB arm. The signal from the satellite bounces off the dish and goes into a feedhorn inside the LNB. The LNB converts what it receives into a format that can be sent down the cable to the receiver.

You could always have a bash at setting it up youself as well. No special equipment is needed. You can use the receiver to set the dish up, connected to a small TV outside.

Yep, I remember setting my 1st system up, I couldn't wait to get started. Come to think of it, I still feel that way now.LOL

12. Grublet

Grublet Member

ok have found the Tritax 88cm = euro 48,75
    clarke tech 1500 plus usb FTA = 69 euro
    Looking at LNB's is something different. There are soooooo many. Which do I need, and what else?
    Step by step i'm getting there. :righton:

13. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

post the site where you saw those, and I'll tell you which LNBs will do the job.

Yep nice prices on the kit so far.

You would also need a wall bracket of some sort, and some cable. The cable type required is largely dependent on the length of the run. In the UK CAI approved wf100,pf100 etc is recommended, but I don't know what the euro equivalent is.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  14. fredhead

Hi grublet ,

Good to see its coming together for you .
    Like yourself I was / am a complete novice to all this , everything I needed to know came from these guy's here , they got it all up and running for me.
    Good luck and have fun ..........xmas has come early for you :smile:

Cheers Robbo :cheers:

15. Grublet

Grublet Member

Hi I'm back again.

Found everything I think I need on this website: www.vorstenberg.nl

Tritax 88 cm : Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes

For the clark tech 1500 there are a couple of options: Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes which one?

Here are the different LNB's : Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes
    Which do I need?

Cables: Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes which one(s)?

I need to know in what direction the dish has to face before I let you know where we will put the dish and what else we need (we may attach it to our chimney)

Slowly but surely getting there guys.:righton:

16. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Hi again,

Any of those receivers on that page will be fine, I can't understand most of the text, but all but the top one have a card reader and extra features which you may not need. You don't need a card reader for ITV. And a card reader on a Clarke tech SD receiver is of no use anyway for 28E.

LNB, either of the two on this page will do

Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes

There isn't a great choice of cable on that site, but this one should do the job

Vorstenberg.nl - Satellietsystemen - Zend en ontvangstapparatuur - Antennes

Oh, and you will need a couple of these to make up the cable.

http://www.vorstenberg.nl/N_frame.html?http://www.vorstenberg.nl/N_grp_23-1.html

Get a few spares because they are poor quality and may break easily if you accidentally twist them on too tight.

To see which way to point the dish, go to www.dishpointer.com , you can zoominto your street, and see which way the dish must point for every satellite.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  17. Grublet

Grublet Member

Hoi Robbo,

Can you please give me the names of the products you've chosen for me as the links send me back to the general pages.

Thanks for the link, I know now which direction the dish has to point.:cheers:

18. Robbo

Robbo Satellite mad

Ok,

SINGLE - 1st link,

SATELLIET-> SAB satellietcoax,75 ohm coax kabel -2nd link

SATELLIET-> F-connector 7mm -3rd link.

Robbo.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  19. wod

wod Well-Known Member

the receiver wise do you want to watch channels on other satellites than get one with a card reader and cam so you can use a diablo cam in it

i guess you will have canal digital for football etc

20. Grublet

Grublet Member