Jtagging

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by Rojo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Rojo

Rojo Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, why do boxes die and why do they need to be jtagged? What does the jtag actually do?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. Just seen so many threads on it, I wondered what it was all about. If so many boxes need jtagging is there some reason that they don't just stick these in to start with?

Cheers.

2. mikey2gorgeous

mikey2gorgeous Member

HI Rojo,
    just finding out about this myself - the JTAG process reloads the boxes' "BIOS" while flashing reloads the boxes' "OS" to use computer terms. I understand code can be downloaded through the cable (to update the "OS"?) but I am unsure as to why the "BIOS" gets corrupted. (Is it properly called TSOP??)

My Euro Blue 06 started to have problems with locking up & screwy channels then eventually froze on standby. I have just bought a JTAG (turned up this morning) & I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mike :smile:

3. Rojo

Rojo Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. A bit clearer now. Hopefully I won't ever have to find out through experience ;)

4. McTazzz

McTazzz Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I would appreciate if you keep me informed of your results, I have been trying for days now - no joy
    Thanks
    TM

5. muhammed rashid

muhammed rashid Active Member

hi how can we buy of you? I want to buy a unlooper T911 and JTAG

6. dolphin

dolphin Well-Known Member

I think a lot of problems with EV's giving up and needing Jtagging is the deadly "Power Surge", I've had a number of box's die and a lot happened when there were varients in the power supply.

One way of getting rid of information from a chip/wiping its memory is to apply a boost of power.

That's my pennys worth.

D

7. Rojo

Rojo Well-Known Member

Thanks Dolphin. Sounds like it might be woth investing in a surge protector for my Eurovox then.