Linux PC instead of buying Dreambox

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by jaipal2004, May 9, 2010.

1. jaipal2004

jaipal2004 New Member

Hi,

I have looked at the prices of Dreamboxes, especially the 800HD and they seem to be out of my budget range.

I do however have a few PC's floating around but wanted to know if I could install Linux on these and use cccam? It appears the Dreamboxes are Linux PC's under the hood and it'd mean I can use it as a mediaPC + satellite box?

Furthermore, if the above is possible - what card would I need to input the satellite feed into the PC? I can't seem to find any help on this anywhere.

Thanks

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. RR-TV

RR-TV Ex cable guy

sia doorman, vinyl stickers
    this is the wrong area to post and card sharing is not allowed on the site and first post in 5 months?

3. jaipal2004

jaipal2004 New Member

sorry - can I move the thread to the correct section? I will edit the original post.

thanks

4. TheCoder

TheCoder Underground Crew Member

As little as possible
    Its possible to use PC's as media PC's using either windows or linux. You can get cheap cards (about £50 each) for the various systems DVB-S (Sat), DVB-C (Cable) and DVB-T (Terrestrial). These cards are basically just tuners/demodulators that lets the PC see the basic Mpeg data streams from the channels. A fairly standard Mpeg player can then be used to actually view this data as pictures/audio.

There's plenty of different applications around that allow various "plugins" to also work with these cards including both cs servers and clients.

Its actually even possible to recompile the dreambox code to run on a PC (although you need to make substantial changes to get around some of the closed source libraries - whoever said that dreamboxes were open source ? )

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. jaipal2004

jaipal2004 New Member

Great stuff :)

Is any DVB-S card compatible with cccam on linux or would I need to be careful about which one I purchase?

Thanks

6. seseliy

seseliy New Member

Yeah, it's great.
    Thanks for sharing this here.