Lost Channels of Freesat

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by IanGreen, Dec 22, 2016.

1. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time of posting, so if I break any rules or anything, I apologise.

I have come on here due to an unusual problem -- one with which my TV Engineer seems stumped.

I have a satellite dish which, after testing by the Engineer, is deemed fit and healthy.

I have a Manhattan Plaza S2 HD Set-top box which is about 9 months old and has functioned quite well during that period.

About a month ago (coinciding with the first snow-fall here in Scotland) channels 158 & 159 (Drama and Yesterday) vanished completely, and even a factory reset about a dozen or more times, didn't bring them back.

The Engineer brought another set-top box, (make unknown) connected it up and both channels were there again.

He concluded from that test that my Manhattan box had somehow "lost" the channels, and declared the box faulty or broken.

I then purchased a Bush Freesat HD box (FSATHD) which is basically a badged version of the Manhattan.

When this box was connected, the two channels were again missing.

So, I have a TV that works., a satellite dish that works., a Manhattan box that DID work but now doesn't., an unknown make of box which DOES work and a Bush/Manhattan box which DOESN'T work.

Can anyone put forward any suggestions to solve this problem please?

Thank you,

Ian
    PS --- The owner of the box used for the test (that worked) cannot be contacted to establish its make until the new year.

2. reddiesel

reddiesel Moderator Staff Member

Drama, yesterday and reality are on sky frequency 12129v 27500 can you enter that manually on your box or check it's there ?, if you can enter it then do a scan.
    Google Lyngsat 28.2 freesat that gives you all the channels you can get and frequencies etc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi reddiesel,
    Thanks for getting back to me with that info.
    Unfortunately you are dealing with a "thicko" who knows nothing about frequencies etc., and certainly has no idea at all of entering such data.
    I have mastered the art of scanning the channels, courtesy of the built-in tuner thingy, but that's about my lot. (Managed to enter my post-code too)

All I can do is repeat what I said in my original post --- "I have a TV that works., a satellite dish that works., a Manhattan box that DID work but now doesn't., an unknown make of box which DOES work and a Bush/Manhattan box which DOESN'T work."

I had a look at Lyngsat, but didn't understand any of it.
    However, I am now in total admiration of those for whom that information is meaningful.

Sorry not to be more useful, but no point in my pretending "something that ain't"
    Ian

4. cactikid

cactikid Well-Known Member

how can i put it for a noob to understand.
    for post to get delivered to you correctly you need an address same as your sat receiver does,
    every channel can own or share the same address
    i use kingofsat for moving channels[ used to work but not now due to moved house ]
    first you need to know what sat most of use 28.2
    frequency is what like a radio station is on.- 10847.00
    polarisation V 50
    symbol rate 23000
    fec 2/3

entering those bits of info on a manual search will scan in bbc one hd like in here
    Search Results for - KingOfSat

channel movement is a common thing and the better boxes fix themselves.
    any channel on any sat box can be checked on any sat by choosing correct sat all new movers are in red.

this might be of use also.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  5. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi cactikid,

As I said to reddiesel earlier, I'm sure that kind of information might be meaningful and useful to some, but it does nothing for me as I do not move in such exalted circles.
    However, I am very familiar with the screen-shot you provided, having done countless "factory resets", albeit to no avail.

Thank you anyway,
    Ian

6. reddiesel

Try this Ian.
    (click on the arrow to watch the video, im guessing you think its just a screen shot )

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  7. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi reddiesel,

My thanks for your sensible approach to educating me in the art of satellite dish tuning -- much appreciated.

I have carried out another factory reset configuration and, despite channels 158 and 159 displaying the name of the programme playing at the time of selection, a message stating the channel is scrambled or unavailable is all I get.

Having learned from your videos I was able to manually enter the sky frequency 12129 V 27500 you suggested the other day.

Unfortunately, a scan using these parameters returns a totally blank result.

If the total absence of any result from this scan is suggestive or indicative of a failure of the satellite dish, then how was it possible for both channels to be visible when using the alternative (unnamed) box?

Ian

8. reddiesel

Thats odd did you get the polarization V right and not H, if another box worked then your dish must be ok, maybe the tuner in the bush and manhattan is a bit weak or something, is there a way of trying your box on someone elses dish ?

9. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi reddiesel,

Yes I did get the polarisation right, and can confirm the dish was checked out by a satellite Engineer and has been declared "fit and healthy".

Logically, your reasoning re the box(es) is sound, and the Engineer has already put me in touch with a shop in town where, when the Christmas festivities are over, the Manhattan box is to be tested in the manner you suggest.

I just can't figure out as to how the Manhattan WAS working, but now isn't, and a newly refurbished Bush (Manhattan lookalike) appears to have the identical problem --- straight from the box, as it were.

I can accept a product failing in operation, but for such failure to exist at commencement is surely "pushing it" a bit, isn't it?

Are Manhattan boxes prone to this sort of failure would you know?

My thanks for all your help and advice to date, and wish you a Very Merry Christmas.

Ian

10. IanGreen

IanGreen Member

Hi to Everyone who responded to my enquiry, particularly reddiesel.

I am pleased to say the problem has been solved --- it was in fact the dish that had reached the end (and exceeded) of its life expectancy, contrary to what the original TV Installation engineer had stated.

So, a New Year --- and a new dish.

Thanks again to you all.

Ian

11. reddiesel

Thanks for letting us know the result Ian, Happy New Year.