No hot water help "Valient combo boiler"

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by PIPER1, Jan 5, 2008.

1. PIPER1

PIPER1 Active Member

Hi could any one give me some advice please.
    i have a valient combo boiler which at the moment won't give any hot water, im not looking to fix it my self because i don't have clue plus not corgi reg.
    i just cant aford to being ripped off at the time of the year.
    if it helps the central heating is still working fine.

2. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Satellite Help member

retired
    Had one of those Vaillant Combo boilers, 2 houses ago (about 15 years ago). Found out that the hot water heat exchanger had to be de-scalled about twice a year, hard water area, to ensure a good supply of hot water was available. I got a spare hot water heat exchanger, that way I had a spare handy, to fit, when the hot water flow was diminished. I could then de-scale the heat exchanger at my leasure. That was my experience with a combo boiler, never had another since.
    BlackHawk :seeya:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  3. PIPER1

PIPER1 Active Member

Hi Blackhawk thank you for your reply.
    I don’t really have much experience in plumbing, but I think I understand what you are saying.

I have recently taken out home cover on my boiler with British gas.
    The only thing that I’m concerned with at the moment is I have had a full inspection from them so I’m not too sure if they will cover the repair, fingers crossed.
    Getting back to the boiler if possible could you give me a little more information to identify the exact fault?.

My central heating still works.

When I turn on the hot water the boilers refuses to fire up and heat the water.

I can manually fire up the boiler but it still won’t heat any water.

If British gas refuses to do the job, is a big and expensive job to sort out?.

4. BlackHawk

retired
    Hi piper
    Just got back from my daughters, she informed me that we left the house with that boiler in 1988, nearly 20 years ago.
    On further thought, your system might only need pressurising. There has to be a differential between the central heating and water heating circuits. If you have the handbook/instruction manual for the boiler it should tell you how to check, and how to set it up.
    Anyhow, as you have home cover from BG and as they carried a full inspection they, (in my opinion) are bound to cover any problems that you now have. Unless it states in your contract that claims will not be accepted until a certain period has elapsed and you are within that time period.

BlackHawk :seeya:

PS. other thoughts
    Have you ever had hot water from that boiler?
    When opening the hot water tap do you get any cold water flowing?
    If no water flowing has the cold water feed to the boiler been turned off?
    BH.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  5. PIPER1

PIPER1 Active Member

Hi thanks again for your reply.
    Not sure if I am covered with BG, I haven’t had the first inspection yet however I have phoned them and told them about the fault and they have agreed to come out on Tuesday.

No I don’t have the manual to the boiler i think it may be possible to obtain one of the Net.

When I turn on the hot water only cold water comes out.

I will just have to sit it out until Tuesday and see what they say

Cheers Blackhawk top man.

6. BlackHawk

retired
    Hi
    As you have a good flow of (cold) water through your hot tap it is unlikely that the hot water heat exchanged is furred up.
    The problem might only be a differential of pressures in the boiler which is a simple job to do.
    or
    The thermocouple might need replacing, another simple job.
    Other than that I cannot think of anything.
    Hope all goes well tomorrow with the visit from the BG man.
    cheers BlackHawk :seeya:

7. pat8

pat8 New Member

I had this problem on my vaillant combi boiler... central heating worked but no hot water... the air pressure switch needed replacing a cheap part to replace. It could be the pressure difference switch needs cleaning but it depends on the model you have.

8. silopark

silopark New Member

Hi M8

If you have got water flow but no hot water coming out of the tap it sounds as if the diaphram is not working correctly on the flow sensor which operates a micro thus firing up the boiler.

The diaphrams work out to be about £6-7 and take about an hour to strip and replace.

Hope you get it sorted soon

silopark

9. PIPER1

PIPER1 Active Member

Hi thank you for all your replies, i finally got it fixed it was the diaphram and value.
    the only problem ive got is i cant adjust the water so it gets hot it seem to be just above warm, ive adjusted the dial but no improvement does any one have any more advice on what to do please.

thanks again

10. satbuster

satbuster Member

if you throttle down the water flow - dont turn fuly on or close the service valve letting cold water into boiler then it should warm up more.

however any problems should be looked at....phone vaillant and get one of their engineers out..that way theyll have the right parts and wont rip you off

11. goodmate

goodmate New Member

HI

My vaillant combi boiler hot water not working, The engineer has checked it and told me he has to descale before I could have hot water. After descaling, the hot water still not working, he now told me the pipes are blocked. I found it difficult to believe that the blockage. Please advice if is possible to have a pipe blocked.

Thanks