Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by martin-f, Oct 16, 2017.

1. martin-f

martin-f Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hi Kevin many thanks for getting back to me, yes as you know its a cracking bit of kit :).

Many thanks Kevin yes we have the same motor,

Looking at your drawing I have everything correct, apart from the capacitors and I wasn't using shielded wire while testing hopefully that was my problem,

I'm now getting to the point of building the motor back up and doing proper tests, I will do everything to the book above and report back, thanks again for you time and help:).

Yes I was flattered by the DH H-H, so I made my own heavy duty model :).
    IMG_0113.JPG

esmeralda1 likes this.
  2. martin-f

I managed to get the nuts and bolts needed for the motor rebuild, i need to do work on the idler sprockets drill them out and press oilite bushes into them for smooth movement,

I'm quite pleased how the main shafts turned out :).
    IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG

3. martin-f

Removed the nylon idlers this afternoon in preparation for the chain modification.
    IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0327.JPG

4. martin-f

I've picked parts up needed for this I will get them drilled and pressed in this afternoon, chain I have for the job was too short so ive picked more up and a split link to join it.
    IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0331.JPG

5. martin-f

Perfect better than it was from new,
    I don't know the exact positon of the sprockets until I put it all back together, I will shim the idlers up once I know there exact location.
    IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

6. martin-f

Gearbox packed with new grease, and gave her a clean.
    IMG_0342.JPG

7. lincsat

lincsat Super-Dooper Moderator Staff Member

You're not wrong there M8 :)

martin-f likes this.
  8. martin-f

Thanks Ian i am very pleased with all of it, the dish and motor are quite rare now even in the USA, its a pleasure to work on im sure it will give me hours of pleasure once its all restored,

Many thanks :).

9. martin-f

Chain tensioner made.
    IMG_0346.JPG

10. martin-f

Fixed the motor and gearbox back in, now on to temporary building it back up,

The drive sprocket has 8 teeth and the idlers have 9 teeth, in my own mind i don't think its going to go slow enough for me, i think the drive sprocket needs to have 5/6 teeth but they had no stock its a bit of trial and error,

Anyhow i can build it up and test it and see where i'm at, if i'm not happy i will order one with less teeth.
    IMG_0359.JPG

11. martin-f

Oilite bushes pressed into the drive ring and chain attached.
    IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG

12. martin-f

I've put it back together to check positioning of the idler sprockets, I'm 8mm out, its a easy fix I will loose 8mm from the oilite bushes,
    IMG_0359.JPG

Once I have the idlers positioned correctly so the chain sits central in drive ring i can work out the exact position of the main drive sprocket.
    sss.PNG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG

There's no play anywhere and the oilite bushes are very smooth, once I get it geared how I would like it I should be able to really fine tune into any weak signals.

13. martin-f

I ended up taking the sprocket to have the keyway cut in £15, I just need to position the idlers then line the drive sprocket up and its ready for testing.
    IMG_0386.JPG

14. martin-f

I've moved back on to this its solid, i presume it was coming out at an angle i didn't want to damage the pole cap so I've taken the angle grinder to the pole, I will cut through the remainder that's in the pole cap with the hacksaw to loosen it,
    IMG_0389.JPG

Someone asked me how I was going to make the fine adjustment on the pole cap,

Nuts/bolts/ are not to spec but you should be able to work it out from this the gate eye fixes to the pole the chain on the pole cap.
    IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

15. martin-f

A bit of wet and dry sandpaper and it fits Perfect.
    IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0399.JPG

16. martin-f

I've been busy with other things today but did find time to get the rest of the pole out.
    IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0405.JPG

17. martin-f

I picked these up today 100 volt, I'm hoping there the correct ones I will check with Brian from titanium satellite.
    IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0419.JPG

18. martin-f

Its got to be the read sensor that's blown i will order a new one on Monday if I haven't got anything compatible, the one in my Saginaw might be ok I will check tomorrow.
    IMG_0437.JPG

19. martin-f

I managed to find my tester today and it is the sensor :) I do have one ive taken out of an old unit but its not compatible,

I've ordered a new one hopefully it will be with me in a few days.
    IMG_0454.JPG

20. martin-f

Hopefully the new sensor will be here tomorrow :), I could connect it up to a car battery for testing but it wouldn't give me a true reading time driving it from end to end of the arc,

Soon I will be moving onto the install as mentioned in my first post the install is going to be something special,

I made a movable base a few months ago, the DH dish is sat on it for the time being the base weighs around two tonne,
    20170127_104359.jpg 20170127_104443.jpg

There will be two positions for the dish, position one is where its sat now I have a limited arc at this location to the E, I can only get to around 62E and a house blocks the line of sight but I did manage to get a weak lock at 64E,

Here's more recent pictures ive landscaped around the dish with a small fence/arbour/bamboo and flowers to hide the base,
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600bbbbb.jpg

The second position for the dish will be 6FT further up the runway, at this location the dish will bolt onto raising mechanism to take the bottom of the dish to a height of 6/7ft from the ground 18.5/19.5 FT to the top of the dish, this will enable me to see 68.5E any further E will be a bonus,

When the dish is not in use it will be at position one pointing up in the air below my fence line, something like this but lnb pointing directly at the sky.
    20171106_194150.jpg

pontiend likes this.