Setting the Declination angle?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by albhoy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    I worked it out after all. you take the declination angle away from 30? giving me a dish angle of 22.4.
    Problem being I can find astra and get lots of channels but no BBC. think its time to get an expert in!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. Mickha

Mickha Well-Known Member

You are probably pointing at a different satellite, if you post some of the channel names, and frequencies, you are getting we can help identify which satellite your dish is currently pointing at.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    Thanks. I got an installer in today and he aligned the dish. I love it. really happy with it. Now just to learn what it can do!

4. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk Installer/Design Engineer

motorised satellite installer/ designer
    Glad to hear you got sorted - sorry we couldn't get over earlier but we've had that many installs on lately & all over the place & you can't be in 2 places etc..
    .... you will love it though - everyone we do does - :righton:

It would be interesting to see how much of Nilesat you can receive - that's usually a good test of the arc where you are on that size dish.

5. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    Il have a look and get back to you on that. Sorry about getting someone else in. Was just getting impaitient!

6. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    not good, can't pick up anything on NILESAT

7. pedro2000uk

Start with 11862V 27500 - [OSN]- it's all scrambled on that frequency but it's the strongest & all you need to see is the meter bars & lock to see if you can get any of the others

then try City 7 [11978v 27500] & Dubai One [11785v 27500]

City 7 is stronger but Dubai One locks easier because it's got an fec of 3/4 where City 7 has the harder 5/6 fec - [done to make it harder]

If you are setup on USALS you can tweak the position around 7w- (try 6.9w or 7.1w etc.. ) or if on diseqc 1.2 you can nudge around 7w ..

btw.. the signal gets better in the evening on 7w & in the morning but drops at about 10;30am - 11am & starts climbing again in the afternoon/ evening rain/ cloud has a quick bad effect - it's OK atm signal wise - about average - 8pm. [don't expect horizontal ones though- they are mainly far too weak]

You get a lot of the same channels on the far easier Arabsat/ BADR4 @ 26e - it's just a good measure of the arc & dish / lnb etc.. plus you do get a few extra channels that aren't on 26e that carry English stuff.

8. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    Amazing....thanks for the advice on tweaking the USALS. wasn't sure wether I could do that after USALS had located the satellites. I have Nilesat at 90% quality on some channels. some I can't get but far better than nothing!

9. pedro2000uk

Dubai One / City 7 MBC etc.. ?...90% sounds too high - should be mid to low but locked- although it depends on receiver what it shows as a %.. - but you can easily get the stronger 8w channels [& even 5w ones] mixed there at c. 7w

10. albhoy

albhoy allan

electrician
    Do you think my dish is adequete to get al jazeera sports on nilesat? My signal quality is v poor but I am thinking of buying the card for them for the footie. I am on an 80co dish. Also I know there are 10 channels and I am only showing 4

11. pedro2000uk

Not Al Jazeera Sports there with an 80, if you got it at all it would be too unreliable - we have a customer that uses a 1.1 at about the same latitude that was getting it good enough to use it c. west Cheshire.. a very rural location & outlook though.. which makles a big difference- I don't think you are in a very built up area either but not quite as rural & you probably overlook some of the Potteries to view 7w .. but it's a bit of a way off - all that makes a difference/ helps but all you need is a street lamp or 2 or telephone lines etc.. in the wrong place & you won't get past one of those with a much bigger dish.

Very difficult to predict - if we were doing a pub at that lat' that was after A J S ...you'd want to see some really decent rain margin so I would be thinking c. 1.2- 1.8.. How well a 1m or 1.1 would do is very unpredictable but your 80 sounds as though it's doing OK if it's seeing some of Nilesat.