SIGMA-X2 142 configuration file?

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by bertiebaws, Jun 7, 2009.

1. bertiebaws

bertiebaws Well-Known Member

Hi All

I'm a TOTAL NOOB at all this and have never even opened up a modem.

So anyhow I bought a sb5100 with SIGMA-X2 142 ver 3 and it has this issue
    <snipped from another forum (not my post:smile:)>
    When I login to 1337, in the fields where I would put in cfg, tftp, mac and so on, they're all filled with "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" and when I try to change it to my value it wont let me.
    </snip>

anyhow the recommended fix goes

<snip>
    What you need to do is scroll sideways to the "Browse" button and select any CONFIG file. When the page finally refreshes itself, everything falls back to normal and doesn't come back.
    </snip>

Now like I said I know diddly about this stuff so is this on about a config file like the ones posted in the sticky i.e class-cm-rts22 ( I thought that this was just a string that you typed in to your firmware and changed that way, didn't think of it as being an actual file that needed uploaded?)

So I'm thinking he must be on about another config file something that is firmware specific but I can'tfind anything here, there or on google.....

Could one of you nice people enlighten me?

Many Ta

Bertie

2. bertiebaws

WTF!!!!

Has no one here (that knows what he is doing) ever used a 5100 with SIGMA???

I've spent somewhere in the region of 20 hours this week that i cant really spare (coz I got a pregnant missus who is ready to POP and a half built kitchen needing finished) searching the archives for answers to this **** and got nuttin!

here are some screen shots of my problem (the first 2 images)

now I'm guessing the last image on right is what my advanced tab should look like

and what are the basic.cfg and hacked.cfg that appear on here cant find any info searching for them on this forum in fact can't find anything searching for even .cfg And they ain't mentioned in the Haynes either

So does anyone here know......

1. What they are?
    2. What they do?
    3. and where I can find them or similar or better?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. racky29

racky29 Well-Known Member

telecommunications analysis technician
    have you tried the people who make the firmware Tcniso, theres a forum on their site
    persnally that look like a corrupt firmware or somthing, it probably needs re-flashing

4. bertiebaws

Hi Racky29

Thanks for aknowledging my thread, was beginning to think only I could see it

Na I have it on good authority that uploading ANY CONFIG file to the firmware will sort it (think it was quite a common error on SIGMA). The problem is I don't know jack about these .cfg files

The TCNiSO site yeah I had a look there and that will be my next step if I don't get a reply here soon. I just thought this place was jam packed with modders and someone would know what I was on about. However starting to think I might be WRONG

Believe me I have searched this forum other forums and google itself for .cfg files without discovering anything other than a passing reference to them.

I need to know what they and where to find them. Then i can sort me modem and get outta yer faces.

So please someone give me just a little clue

Sh|t look you've got me pleading now:eek:h_oh:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  5. MorriSoft

MorriSoft Dr Audiophile Anonymous

IT Administrator, Barman, Tech-Wiz..
    The cable modem configuration file - The quality of service offered by the cable modem, including the downstream and upstream rate caps, is determined by a configuration file fetched by the cable modem from the ISP's network during the cable modem boot-up sequence. The configuration file also tells the cable modem if there are any firmware updates available for it. These files are invisible to the user: they never reach the PC.

.cfg files are used in all cable networks, however, on VM network, they are apended '.cm', rather than '.cfg'.

You can download any valid configuration file from VM with Haxorware on the downloader tab, alternatively, you can check the downloads area to see if any were uploaded there.

Of course, you will not require any configuration file at all, should you setup the modem in the manner that is most likely to work, that is, with forcing of configs disabled.

In turn, your modem will download and use the config assigned to the mac you put in, and should connect at the speed which that mac is configured to use :righton:

6. kugelsack

kugelsack Active Member

Why don't you ask this question in the forum you quoted from in your first post?

It makes sense since they provided the answer to someone else in your situation.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  7. bertiebaws

Hi Morrisoft

Thank you for the explaination.

I aint trying to force my configs I got penty 20mb macs awaiting.

But I have a slight anomally with the fields in my SIGMA-X2 firmware. I have read that this will not allow me enter a new mac. it supposedly is caused by junk in the nonvol and uploading any config to the firmware will clear it.

Sorry not got me ed round this yet

So are you telling me that these ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ that appear in my firmware might not have been there before my mac went down and a new mac will restore the page to the settings it should show?

If that don't work and I do need a .cm file uploaded could someone upload a nice one (lol) to the downloads for me?

Thanks

8. bertiebaws

Okay managed to get rid of all those ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ's that were making my advanced page ½ a mile wide and stopping my other fields updating.

For future reference this is how I did it :-

if you scroll really carefully around the centre of the advanced page width ways (and boy it's a wide page with all those ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ's on it) Your looking for the browse button but it is really tricky to get the browse button to appear because it's probably about 100x the width of a normal page.

When you do it looks like the attached image. Now above the browse button at the top there is a TFTP config file, it is not stored but by clicking on it you can download it and then reselect it using the browse button and scroll to the far right side of the page to upload it.

The page will refresh and this will remove those 1,000's of ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ's giving you a normal sized advanced page again.

Now to find the correct sequence for entering a mac so i can get up again without making an arse of it.:fool:

Attached Files:

9. racky29

personaly if your having problems i would get shut of sigma and put sb5101MoD 104 by Tom/UD
    its much better in my opinion, looks more stylish too
    but thats just me

10. bertiebaws

If I can do that from the upload firmware option in SIGMA gui then sure I'd go for it (that was a question by the way...so can I?) .But I ain't got the time to learn about with Jtag's and blackcats at the mo. baby daughter arrived last night so prolly not be surfin half the night away for while:shocked:

11. racky29

no i dont think you can update via the sigma page, you could try it i suppose
    heres a pic of SB5100MoD 104, looks nice

[​IMG]

you will probably have to use a jtag, you can only use the serial rs232(max232) method if you have a P option when booting and looking at the hyperterminal
    but my bet is it will be Jtag,
    Motorola uses the 10 pin header here's some pictures, ignore the webstar one,
    you have 2 to chose from, unbuffered no chip version and buffered chip version, the chip version is more reliable, but if you aint that electronic genius, go for unbuffered chipless, then you can use schwartzekatze blackcat or Jtag Utility_1.3 to load the firmware to the modem
    schwartzekatze blackcat is ideally suited to the SB5100

i would do a lot of research before attempting anything like this, but there's plenty of knowledgeable people around the modem forums
    at least heres the diagrams to get you started .

Motorola SB5100 UnBuffered Jtag is the 10 pin one
    [​IMG]

Motorola SB5100 Buffered Jtag
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  12. bertiebaws

Yep Racky it looks very nice, However I will practice messing about with the Sigma settings, Telnet etc. before I get in to it with the jtag and German black cats,

NEW BABY = SLEEP DEPRIVATION

SLEEP DEPRIVATION + (modem + lack of knowledge + foreign software) = BRICK

:cheers:

13. bertiebaws

hi

I been using my vm sub modem since this thread began, finally got reply from dude I got sb5100 modem from, who doesnt do em himself but gets them that way from some other scoundrel. anyway I asked him why it is givin me grief trying to change mac addy and he says the crook he gets them from password protects Sigma x2 firmware so I have to pay him tenner to get new mac in it...feckin greedy bastard

Anyhow can/has he done this or is he taking advantage of my naivety?

Thing is I can get to the sigma page and type macs in hardware changer but next time i boot up and go in original mac is back?

so what has he done? and can I bypass it?

ta

14. Load""

Load"" Member

That's a ridiculous thing to do.....first grass him up then invest in a jtag cable so you can put on your own firmware

15. Load""

Load"" Member

If it's any help, here are a couple of telnet login/password snmpget display commands listed on another forum for sb5100mod firmware (no idea if it'll be the same for sigma-x2 142)

to display telnet login -
    snmpget -v 1 -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.1.1.2.0

to display telnet pw -
    snmpget -v 1 -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.1.1.3.0

16. bertiebaws

Cheers mate

I didn't know whether to believe him or not when he told me he had password protected it?

I'm defo gonna learn how to put new firmware on this when I have a spare err week or two.

But was still hoping I might get into telnet, think I tried before using original login/password (he was prolly too lazy to change it) and it worked.

But then how would I remove his password protection on hardware changer once I'm in there? I wouldn't know where to start???

Anyone know?

17. racky29

im not that familiar with sb5100 sigma,
    have a look on the sigma page, you should see telnet user/pass
    like i said, im not familiar with sb5100 sigma, but you may be able to get a hidden page
    by typing 192.168.100.1:1337

if you can get to the hidden page you might get access you need
    also
    if you can telnet to the modem via hyperterm or teraterm, you might be able to change the mac with these commands, telnet user/pass might be tcniso/authentic

cd non-vol
    cd halif
    mac_address 1 aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    cd /
    write

if non of that works, start a new thread in this forum on how to get access
    or
    have a look on the sigma site, tcniso click forum link on the left
    ask a few questions on there, im sure if you can get to the sigma page or telnet via hyperterm you can change the mac

18. racky29

19. bertiebaws

Cheers racky

Very interesting link there
    esp this

Integrated Firmware Changer​
    SIGMA-X2 includes a very useful feature that allows you to upgrade to any nonsigned
    firmware image (this is usually signified by the firmware name ending with
    ".bin"). To use this feature, start a TFTPD server with the firmware image you want
    to upload in the base directory and then type the TFTP IP (of your server) and
    firmware filename into the text boxes on the SIGMA web interface. Finally, click the​
    "download" button to begin the upgrade process.

Is this only for Sigma upgrades or do you think I can use this to change to the SB5100MoD firmware?

I will try the telnet mac change and post in this thread how I got on

Many thanks

20. racky29

it looks like you might be able to update to any firmware, just try it and find out