TV with Built-in Freeview HD?

Discussion in 'Home Media' started by Sc00by, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sc00by

Sc00by Well-Known Member

Hi, is this TV a Freeview HD reciever?
    SAMSUNG LE40B530 40" LCD TV
    or
    SAMSUNG LE40B550 40" LCD TV

Ive been reading up about these TVs for hours now and I cannot work it out one way or the other...

Some descriptions say it is a Freeview HD reciever, but other say that as of yet such a thing does not exist

Its a HDTV that has built in freeview, yes, but not the actual Freeview HD...

By the time the world cup comes around BBC and ITV plan to show their games in HD and you need either a freesat HD box or now they are bringing out Freeview HD...but all the reviews ive read say that no TV will have a built in Freeview HD reciever until spring 2010

As this model was built in 2009 I am finding it hard to see how this TV has built in Freeview HD

This site claims that no such thing exists yet...

Freeview

Also "Which?" says that the equipment is not available yet...

Freeview HD explained - TV, music and radio - Which? Advice

Please respond as I am looking to buy one of these TVs ASAP

Regards,
    Stuart

PS. if these TVs are not what I am looking for, could someone point me in the direction of one that is:righton:

2. SAT-WORLD

SAT-WORLD Well-Known Member

No,these are just High Definition LCD's with just a standard integrated Digital Terrestial tuner(Freeview) and a DVB-C(cable tuner).
    There are no Freeview HD IDTV's on the market yet.

3. Sc00by

Sc00by Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply mate...I got this off Samsung this morning...

Dear Stuart
    Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

Customer Reference: 2103

Thank you for contacting us regarding your LE40B550A5W and the recent issue you have experienced.

The integrated Freeview within your television will not be able to process a HD Freeview signal, to enable this the television digitaltuner must be DVB-T2.

Currently Samsung Televisions along with all other manufacturers are only able to receive the current standard definition FREEVIEW (Digital) broadcasts on DVB-T.

The new High Definition transmissions will be broadcast on the new specification DVB-T2, these transmissions cannot be viewed on existing & current Freeview (Digital) televisions.

It is expected there will be Samsung televisions able to receive the new DVB-T2 transmissions next year.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
    further queries, please donot hesitate to contact us quoting your 210-
    reference number.

KindRegards
    Amy

So...Ive got about £500 to spend on a 40 inch or higher...Currently its a toss up between the 2 in my original post here...Are there any better value for money out there?

I made the mistake of buying the series 4 32 inch earlier this year when I needed a new tele...Now the missus is after a new 32 inch so I am thinking, rather than her spend £400 for the one she can have mine as its nearly identicle, and more than good enough for what she needs...Its brand new with not a mark on it

Then I can go out and improve my set as I have never been happy with the 32 inch since I got it a few months back...I definately should have put more effort into looking for one back in the summer...Instead of just going out and getting the first one I came across

4. nvingo

nvingo Well-Known Member

The digital service in some other countries (Australia?) is also confusingly called Freeview. These use DVB-T for HD, and it may be some descriptions of the TV have been copied from those regions.

5. brian

brian Administrator Staff Member

The recent change at Freeview mean that no HDTV sold with Freeview has Freeview HD, and any that claim they have will not work with the new change in frequencies.

Been causing a bit of a storm that one...

6. charlie1966

charlie1966 GT user and abuser!

Home entertainment installations
    If a TV has a freeview tuner with MPEG4 is this not HD compatible?
    I thought that was the whole point of the UK upgrading to MPEG4 and the Irish system having started with MPEG4.
    There are many manufactures who supply TVs with MPEG4 terrestrial tuners.

7. radtv

radtv Well-Known Member

Not yet as there are still no HD Freeview receivers until end of Feb!

8. brian

brian Administrator Staff Member

May be worth keeping an eye out on HDTV's with Freesat HD built in - less hassle, presuming you've got a dish, and no problems with receiving HD channels. :)

I know the Panasonic's sometimes have Freesat HD built in, but not sure about which other manufacturers have built in Freesat as opposed to Freeview.

9. radtv

radtv Well-Known Member

LG do Freesat TVs now as well, decent bit of kit as well