|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  Reviews   |
 Satellite   Digital TV   IPTV   Cable   HDTV   Computers   Apple   Games   Mobile Phones   Broadband   Internet   Security   Telecoms   USB   VoIP   Wireless   Science

March 18, 2008

How to stop Medieval Total War from crashing

Bookmark and Share

by Brian Turner
medieval-total-war.jpg

So I’ve been working like a slave recently - huge workload - mostly over. I’d been given Medieval Total War as a Christmas present and finally started playing it yesterday - but it kept crashing. Every five minutes, if not, sooner.

I did a pretty extensive Google Search and noticed lots of people talking about drivers, changing folder properties, screen resolutions, batch files, etc.

I’m on a new PC with an ATI Radeon card, and finally worked out how to solve it:

Solution: You must ensure the screen resolution for the game matches the screen resolution on your PC.

Worked so far - upped the screen resolution to 1240 but still crashed - though not as frequently - so adjusted it to match my 1280 resolution on my PC.

Now - no crashes.

So, if you’re playing Medieval Total War and you find the game crashing, just load up the game, then go to:

Options > Video

and ensure you select the strategy map resolution to match your PC default resolution mode.

I’ve not had any problems with battle resolution, but synced that as well just in case.

Obviously, this may not solve everybody’s problem - but as I’ve not seen any definitive answer on how to solve this, thought I’d better post my solution here for general reference. :)

Story link: How to stop Medieval Total War from crashing

Discuss this in the Techwatch Forums

Special offers on iPhones

Related news to "How to stop Medieval Total War from crashing"

18 Comments »
  1. cheers

Comment by Loz — November 16, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

2. I have tried this, but it still does not work.

Comment by sirlanalot — May 26, 2009 @ 10:27 am

3. Thank you x5.

Comment by That Guy — June 15, 2009 @ 10:03 pm

4. It works… Thanks a million… Great… Now I can relive the glory days :)

Comment by Ken Brown — July 5, 2009 @ 12:29 am

5. yeah..still dosen’t freaking work, I’m probly gonna just stop plaing this series, incrediblly awesome game, but all the bugs and crashing problems make it not woth my time

Comment by SeTh — July 8, 2009 @ 10:10 am

6. Buy this man a drink :) thanks so much

Comment by Beno — July 16, 2009 @ 10:08 pm

7. I believe this to be the graphics problem (again).
    Compatibility settings won’t work. if someone actually realises you don’t change your computer from vista to XP or win 98 for what that matters. you just change your settings to match that of XP or the chosen type (hint hint), you will therefore still have your current hardware and software running whatever you do unless you try running a virtual machine where you can install whatevere software you want or if you have a stationary computer where you can use older hardware.

so far I’ve seen these problems:
    1. no CD found!
    just download a crack for it. found one called NoCD_loader. can’t be much harder than that unless you want rewrite a file so that you can skip a big load of the loading process where the game crashes with either hardware or software settings and go straight to the location and files needed to run the game instead (could be interesting if someone get that to work).

2. game crashing (Medieval_TW.exe)!
    Now I don’t know where in the process it crashes for everyone but with me it crasher after the loading screen when starting for an example the campain. Sometimes I even get to play for a few seconds (yey).

Of course try the compatibility sollutions as the game may not be made to be played in widescreen format, etc, though it should do that itself when it comes to resolution and such. I have been into the computers that’s picky about it but Vista have been somewhat obedient to my wishes.
    if your trying a bit more advanced sollutions as overriding lockdown and overriding sequences and such you should avoid thatas well as testing old drivers and software as it’s more likely you’ll ruin your computer. always keep up to date and if you remember to keep everything up to date, not only using windows update but actually looking a bit yourself, most of your problems should be okay.
    One of the biggest problems I’ve had with Vista is that I can’t seem to get rid of DX10 as I would like to get to install the DX package (can’t remember which one) so that I can get the previous versions as well and that would fix about 99% of all gaming problems. beside that it’s just if you’re using a 3D card your computer might have a hard time running 2D graphics, as would result it a bit lagg at the most (or a lot in newer games) especially in older games where the use of 2D graphics are absolute.
    remember to download from more trusted sites as well since you can come over lots of corrupted files (even on fabricant’s sites).

3. You get brought back the the menu when trying to start a game.

I’ve got no idea what could do that but I saw it on my friends computer. most guesses goes to DirectX as with newer computers your only provided with the latest edition

That’s about it. Hope anyone got a decent and easy to use sollution as most people like me don’t want to reinstall their computers every time there happen something

Comment by anonym guy — August 2, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

8. Downsizing the graphics help stop the game crashing butI still have a problem on the battle map. When I try to move troops by clicking on an area in the map it randomly directs them somewhere else and I can only select troops using the troop icons on the bottom left of the screen. I’ve tried a mix macth of graphics settings but no success!

Comment by Some dude — August 16, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

9. My problem, now I have an ATI card, is not crashing, but the red bar loading a tactical or strategic map taking 4-5 minutes to finish! This includes if I just ESCape to save a game and then click on ‘return to game’!

Comment by UK_John — March 31, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

10. this did not solve the problem for me :/
    btw i cant choose a higher resolution than 800×600 in the game, how do you do that? not that it matters when i cant play it anyway but..

Comment by hanz — April 4, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

11. doesn’t work for me too …

black screen … always !!

i’ve change the drivers many times, trying oldies;
    i think the problem is frequent with ATI graphic cards; I’ve got a ATI radeon X800

Comment by steffr — April 7, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

12. How do you change the game’s resolustion?
    i went to options > video but it won’t let me change it
    why not?

Comment by James — April 9, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

13. Hmm. Well I changed the resolution on the monitor and game both to 1024/786 thinking the lower resolution wouldn’t put a huge strain on the game. Suddenly I was able to do Quick Battle, and I got all freaking excited and tried the campaign. And then it crashed again after the loading screen. And then I cried.

Comment by Jake — June 16, 2010 @ 5:27 am

14. Thanks. It did work.I want to make an addition for the users hich didn’t work:Right click the medieval total war icon on the desktop, then click properties, come to compability window then select Windows Xp Service Pack 3 then there is a checkbox below the page “Rus as administrator”.Check this box then Click OK button and now play. I made windows resolution 1024×768 and in the game->video menu i made the two resolution 1024×768 too, then it worked perfecet!!

Comment by coder free — June 25, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

15. Yeah..for some reason, it won’t let me adjust its resolution. It’ll let me adjust every other detail, just not the game’s resolution. Is there any other advice you can give? My email is gromhellscrea12@yahoo.com. Please..this is aggravating!

Comment by Tim Seltzer — July 1, 2010 @ 4:06 am

16. yh i tried it, does not work every time i select a campaighn choose the era and faction it goes to the loading screen and a soon as it finishes it crashes and exits plz post another soloution .

Comment by osumu nagazaxsi — August 10, 2010 @ 11:36 am

17. Running ATI 4200i (Ooh the ATi is so rare isn’t it!!!!) with XP SP3. Does not give me compatibility option for XP when I right click icon but all previous versions of windows????

Game tries to start but there is a strange snippet of sound begore the Total War logo comes up; screen then goes black and game dumps me back to windows. No wonder consoles are becoming more and more popular:(

Comment by Hoppy — August 10, 2010 @ 2:03 pm