|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  Reviews   |

March 22, 2010

South Africa’s Top TV offers alternative to sport

Bookmark and Share

by Rapid TV News

Website: Rapid TV News

Vino Govender, CEO at On Digital Media, South Africa’s new pay-TV player, says his new bouquet (which launches in early May) is targeting the lower middle class, and in particular the 60% of South Africans who want wholesome family entertainment, and are not that interested in sport.

On Digital Media is trading under the Top TV brand and wants to appear to a mostly Christian audience, and which can afford its Rand99 (for 20 channels) and R249 (for 50).

Govender told local publication Moneyweb that incumbent Multichoice had signed up sports rights for some time to come but ODM would be bidding for those rights as and when they became available.

“If you look at our target market, we’re targeting the under-served market.

“At the moment, there’s roughly 5.5m households that can afford our product who do not have a multi-channel environment at home and we plan to offer them 50-plus channels.”

Govender says ODM’s business model is based roughly on (signing up) 120,000 to 130,000 subscribers per annum.

“From an Icasa [regulator] point of view, we’re not allowed as a pay-TV operator to earn more 5% of our total income from advertising revenue.”

He also said that he expects Multichoice’s DStv to retaliate: “The important thing to understand is that if you look at the way the packages on the MultiChoice platform are set up - you have a Premium offering you have the Compact offering and I think there’s one called Select.

“The Compact offering is mainly driven by SuperSport 3 and 4 channels and some additional channels.

“Now we’re competing at that level…so one has to be very careful how one competes in the market.

“But we do expect new bouquets, new channels, etc, (from DStv) and we will react accordingly in the market in time. It’s what competition is all about.”

Story link: South Africa’s Top TV offers alternative to sport

Discuss this in the Techwatch Forums

Related news to "South Africa’s Top TV offers alternative to sport"

45 Comments »
  1. Interesting and cheaper alternative. However, is there more choice on choosing channels on Boquet’s? I hope they will not match Multichoices channels, I wish they can do better. They just keep on boring us with these Hallmark channels. Even my kid finds that boring. lol.

Comment by Sabu — April 20, 2010 @ 9:13 am

2. Will I have to buy a new satelite dish and decoder for top-tv?

Comment by Lisa — April 20, 2010 @ 11:20 am

3. Can u give further details, what the 55 channels are ?
    Will u offer South Indian bouquets / channels ?

Comment by Nancy — April 21, 2010 @ 5:51 am

4. Pls can you advise about TOP TV

Comment by Lloyd Chetty — April 21, 2010 @ 6:05 am

5. Will top tv show super14 games

Comment by gareth press — April 22, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

6. thanks heavens, openning up of the satelite is here @ last bringing in competition to the long lived monopolised field. this is gr8 for us customers. i support this 100%. i’ll be its first subscriber. cant wait for eurosport

Comment by jackson mudyanadzo — April 23, 2010 @ 5:33 am

7. What if I am currently using dstv satelite , what then ? Do I need to cancel and thereafter reapply for a dish or how does it work

Comment by Samantha Coetzee — April 26, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

8. can we have more details on where to purchase decoders and contact details.

Comment by corrie — April 27, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

9. How do I get started or subscribe to top tv

Comment by Endren Chetty — April 28, 2010 @ 5:36 am

10. Will top tv be offering an movie and series channels?

Comment by roshan — April 28, 2010 @ 10:25 am

11. Plz nw.we cant wait.thank god nw most people in da locations cn b hok-up.dis is da best newz in yrz after our freedom.can i be ur first customer plz,im begging u.

Comment by Wendy — April 29, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

12. have tried contacting them about subscribing (can you believe you can only emai) about 4 days ago and haven’t had a reply! If that’s how they treat potential customers I am not so sure this will be worth the effort. Anyone had any luck?

Comment by Darren — April 29, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

13. do i have to buy a decoder?

Comment by odnaht@gmail.com — May 1, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

14. guys i have read in the Beeld that u will have 2 cough up 4 a decoder, dish and installation package which are now at this stage available @R499-00 each
    You cant use your old DSTV decoder, as the two dishes have different reception suppliers. What I would like to know is how long can we still continue viewing with what we have right now, as we have paid for a TV license for the year, which was not cheap!

Comment by marion — May 3, 2010 @ 11:49 am

15. How can I contact them? Can anyone please give me a contact number or email adress.

Comment by Lizelle Senekal — May 4, 2010 @ 9:19 am

16. I have bought a Top TV decoder and it need to be connected. Please tell me whome I can contact in this regard for I have tried to contact the telephone 086086788 number several times but to no avail.
    Please advise.

Comment by Donald Johnson — May 4, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

17. What channals do you offer? Will get the same channals that dstv offers?

Comment by Faith — May 6, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

18. I was one of the very first people to buy a top tv decoder on Saturday. I phoned their call centre same day but couldn’t talk to an agent. I then left a voicemessage to which they responded on tuesday. I was given three contact numbers for installers. I struggled to get one of these guys to come - they are obviously busy installing all over. Finally, everything is installed, I am waiting for activation.

Comment by thabang — May 7, 2010 @ 5:18 am

19. Please supply website and email for Top-TV and also where they are based. Thanks. Don

Comment by don — May 7, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

20. The respons time of the call center is very slow. I have been phoning 0860086788 since Saturday with no luck I only came through about 5 min ago. Please speed up your responds time @ your call center.

Comment by Daniel Booysen — May 10, 2010 @ 7:18 am

21. I have recently subscribed to Toptv and chose the R159.00 package which is the variety and kids&music channels. I need to ad 3 more channels from the entertainment&knowledge and 3 from the ultimate movies packages. I don’t need all the channels from those 2 packages, just 3 of each. Could u tell me what the difference would be in my monthly bill.

Comment by Daniel Booysen — May 11, 2010 @ 7:31 am

22. Pse. let the public know which are the channels you are showing. We are all very interested but need more info

Comment by Sam — May 11, 2010 @ 8:37 am

23. Please let us know how to contact you’ll. the phone’s are always engaged and i can give you some tips how to market top tv with a better reponse I have ideas of the way to sell the equipment to the poeple of South Africa. Feel free to contact me on 0723917079.

Comment by MARTIN — May 11, 2010 @ 11:40 am

24. how do i get connected.

Comment by SANJAY CHETTY — May 13, 2010 @ 5:30 am

25. Im interested in purchasing Top tv

Comment by ntombi — May 13, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

26. I am having problems with the local sabc1,2,3 and Etv channels, what is happening is that the channels freezers for about 10 seconds and afterwards the channel just blacks out. I need to know what the problem is with those channels because I am paying to watch them. Could the toptv technicians please check it out.

Comment by Daniel — May 13, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

27. Hi
    Are you able to give us quality channels such as discovery and national geographic at much lower prices?

Comment by rishandh — May 13, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

28. Well i think ODM will be good for the country and continent at large. One thing i love about competition is that it has the ability to bring the best out of you. If multichoice has a competetor,it’ll be forced to come up with something even better. Since the same can be said about ODM, then that means more value for our money…oh yeh!

Comment by Gao from Qwaqwa — May 14, 2010 @ 8:39 am

29. just imagin paying R750 per month for a Full Dstv with Indian Bouqet, that ridicolus, compare these prizes with other countries and you’ll find Multichoice is ripping us apart. Thats $100 my friends, and In countries like UK, Euorp you can get a TV connection + Internet + Domestic Telephone line for alot less than that.

Even in Countries like India, Pakistan the cable operator and Dish Tvs provide you more channels at alot less price.

my friend recently told me they are paying 150 -250 rupee per month for over 100 channels.(thats about 15 rands to 25 rands when you convert it.)

competition will be great.

Comment by Eddy — May 14, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

30. Want to get connected to TopTv?
    Don’t waste your time. You cannot get through on Call Center. I had The system installed and 3 days later still not connected. They are a bunch of ARSEHOLES

Comment by Edgar — May 15, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

31. Will you be getting in dual view for a cheeper, if so how long will this take, for such a price i am ready to switch.

Comment by Madelein — May 16, 2010 @ 2:04 am

32. Dear Mr Govender

Congratulations for the suceesful launch of the top tv as a healthy competitor to DSTV.

If you can add ASIANET, a South Indian Malayalam channel (the channel was active and available for viewers in South Africa, Lesotho and Botswan until the end of 2008) to your satellite TV, I can assure you that you will get between 500 and 1000 South Indian loyal clients. I understand that Asianet doesn’t charge for the broadcast rights and v can help to negotiate a contract with ASIANET.

Thanks.

Yours faithfully
    Jose

please look into the

Comment by jose — May 16, 2010 @ 10:35 am

33. If I can ad up all the money that I have spent phoning the call centre it could come up to almost R500.00, just imagine spending all that money and still not being helped. It is very,very,very frustrating being put on hold for almost 30 min and being told to leave a message but the top tv consultance don’t even phone you back. I have been phoning the call centre from Friday…are you guys going to reimburse all the money that I spent phoning the call centre????Maybe I made the wrong the decision subscribing with toptv,PLEASE, PLEASE speed up your responds time of your call centre I really need to speak to one of your call centre agents urgently!!!!!!!

Comment by Daniel — May 17, 2010 @ 5:37 am

34. Where can I get a decoder for Top TV, and how do I get a Dish installed and connecte.
    I live in a townhouse complex that does not allow anything to be installed on the roof. Will that work with your dish. My son has a left over dish from DSTV. Can it be used?

Thanks in advence for your reply

Comment by Irene Fuchs — May 17, 2010 @ 7:34 am

35. Hi I purchased the Top TV over a week ago but can’t get connected. I can’t get through the call centre, no one is replying my mails. It’s very frustrating. I’m NOT impressed, this sucks.

Comment by Rahima — May 17, 2010 @ 10:15 am

36. Hi does anyone know how to go about subcribing and how do we get this installed.

Comment by charmaine — May 17, 2010 @ 10:28 am

37. who can i contact for the finer details on this package

Comment by Donald Wilds — May 18, 2010 @ 10:49 am

38. Where can I get the decorder?

Comment by zwelakhe — May 19, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

39. Need a installer urgent, have decoder for 2 weeks and no response from anybody. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Illona — May 20, 2010 @ 9:21 am

40. 7.What if I am currently using dstv satelite , what then ? Do I need to cancel and thereafter reapply for a dish or how does it work

Comment by Vuyile Bobotyana — May 20, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

41. I want to become an installeer for you.

Comment by Adrian — May 23, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

42. I am subscribed with Top tv, the channels what they are offering are great. The only problem that I have is with the local sabc 1,2,3 and etv, the channels sometimes freezers and then blacks out. I have raised this issue many times with the call centre and they said that the technicians will look into it but there is no improvement into the transmission of those channels. Please sort out this problem.

Comment by Daniel — May 25, 2010 @ 8:28 am

43. I bought Top Tv on the 1 of May,received the decoder on the 7 of May and was connected on the 11 of May.Its no use trying to call the call centre as they are always busy with calls.
    I went straight to there premises in Woodmead office Park and everything was done there.
    I met a installer at there premises gave my name and address the Monday 10 of May the dish was installed.The programes are not that great as they play the same movies over the whole day on all the channels you will get repeats even the music channel.I know its still early days but we will only see if it gets better.

Comment by Michelle Kater — May 26, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

44. Please send more info on how to get connected and the different packages

Comment by Erina Schnell — May 26, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

45. This is really bad – as soon as I though there are some much needed opposition to DSTV, I must find out the alternative is even worse than DSTV. First you can buy a decoder, but can’t get connected due to zero response on calls (Lines busy and or call just discontinued. Now I must hear that the programmes are not that great. Maybe we should look at the Vodacom or other options (Stay with DSTV)

Comment by Johann heydenrych — May 27, 2010 @ 7:25 am