With films becoming ever more popular, being at the top is a very lucrative business to put it mildly, and Walt Disney has proved that it is one of, if not the best at bringing in the big bucks.
Not many films have made it to the 1 Billion dollar plus mark when it comes to the Box Office, but of the 8 films in the history of cinema that have crossed the boundary, Walt Disney have been involved in 4 of them, Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. 2 of these were released quite recently and POTC: On Stranger Tides is still showing on most cinema complexes and as such looks set to film even higher.
Another notable big shot that is on this list is James Cameron, who’s hits, Avatar and Titanic hold 1st and 2nd respectively in the tables for worldwide gross revenue.
The vast majority of the top 50 worldwide gross revenue films have been released in the last 10 years, with the last 3 or 4 years being the most successful with 4 of the top ten being released since 2009.
- Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009
- Titanic $1,242,413,080 1997
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,110,941 2003
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest $1,066,179,725 2006
- Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010
- Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,904 2011
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,007,703,000 (upon writing) 2011
- The Dark Knight $1,001,921,825 2008
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone $974,733,550 2001
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End $963,420,425 2007