O2 service fully restored

Operator still doesn't know the root cause of the outage, though
Adam Smith

July 13, 2012
o2

O2 has ironed out the major gremlin which caused havoc on its network, starting Wednesday lunchtime and continuing throughout yesterday.

As we reported yesterday, when the fault first manifested at 1:30pm on Wednesday, all services went down for some customers (hundreds and thousands of them). Then yesterday, 2G (voice and text) services were back up and running, but not 3G.

3G data was back online just before 2pm yesterday.

At that point, O2 announced: “Our tests show that 2G and 3G services are now back for all affected customers.”

Yesterday evening, on its blog page the network said: “Now that our full network service has resumed, we remain focussed on identifying the root cause of the incident. We want to restore customer confidence and trust in us so for those customers affected by the lack of service, we will be doing everything we can to make it up to them in an O2 way.”

It’s obviously a tricky problem they’re dealing with, seeing as they haven’t pinned down the root cause, which is slightly worrying. On the plus side, the latter part of that statement would seem to be hinting at potential compensation (which disgruntled customers and consumer groups have been calling for).

While all O2 has said about the issue thus far is that it was a fault on its network systems, most are assuming some sort of hardware failure, but there are also whispers the problem could have been on the software side.

We guess we’ll find out soon enough.






 

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visited 2239 times, 1 so far today