Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Help

Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-10, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default losing signal

i've got a DM800 & an 80cm motorised dish

since the weekend whenever i've turned the box on in a morning there's no signal and i have to play around with the cable outside to get it working

the motor has a green led which is lit as normal and i can drive the dish from the box no problem but all the bars in the satfinder menu (SNR & AGC) are empty, the cable from the box isn't quite long enough to reach the lnb but i've connected it through my satellite finder and it's powered ok and the finder has a strong signal

if i keep disconnecting and re-connecting the cable from the box to motor i'll evetually get a signal, this morning took me about 20 minutes to get it working, once it's working it's normally fine for the rest of the day and i can switch satellites with losing it, the only times i've lost signal once it's working were sunday night when i tried to change channel after watching a movie and it went off & last night i lost it for a couple of minutes before it came back on

there's only 4 feet of cable (plus a short length from motor to lnb) outside the house which i've checked and isn't damaged plus all connections on the lnb & motor are waterproof, i've also cut the cables back and remade the connections

i also thought it could be a problem with the tuner in the receiver so yesterday i dug out an old fta box and it was exactly the same, once i'd played around with the cable and got the signal back i switched back to the dm800 and it was fine

any ideas what the problem is? at first i thought it was a fault with the motor but the same problem exists if i connect directly to the lnb (via satfinder)

i've been thinking it's either the lnb or a short on the cable, both are 4 years old but i'd expect the problem to be more intermittent, anyway i've just ordered a lnb with twin outputs as i'm planning on putting a 2nd box upstairs
fish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: losing signal

Replace the cable and take the signal finder out of the system, this is the cheapest, and quickest, option and should get it working correctly.
Mickha is offline   Reply With Quote