Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Internet

Internet Using the internet - technology, software, and webmaster discussions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-12, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nibblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 783
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Youtube is crap for watching videos, their server is a C64 with an acoustic coupler...

__________________
Quote:
60MB Broadband, VM Tivo, Skybox M3, Triax TD-88, Darkmotor
nibblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 04:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 148
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_shazzi View Post
Don't get me wrong I am a very technical minded person but what the heck does news bins mean???
news binary's , in the old days before the web was http , news text sheets where posted and downloaded in binary format .

these binary storage systems are an integral part of the net , your isp normally provides news access servers . check the settings page of your isp .

as its binary storage its not limited to text so anything can be stored there , your download will be from a server so not limited to users like torrents .

my download speed is my max speed
mikie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super-Dooper Moderator
 
lincsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In front of the PC
Posts: 6,254
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

The problem with torrents is often the upload. The way cable modems work is that every batch of data downloaded needs to be acknowledged, if your upload is full of torrents, then the ack's get delayed and your download suffers.

Try capping your Torrent upload to about half your quoted upload and watch your downloads speed up
__________________
DM800Pro/SE, Vu+ in Stock, SkyboxF5 under £55, Vu Solo Mini £95. Kryptview/Phoenix A850HD £237.50, Kryptview £133 with Members Discount - Lincsat's Nick-Nacks (Shop)

Drivers Protest Union
lincsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 456
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoder View Post
Even using a vpn may not get you far as VM seem to 'reduce' the speed of various default vpn ports. Using a vpn also doesn't change the 'quantity' based rules - you may even apparently get less real data as more protocol/encryption information has to be stripped away.
Probably better renting a good seed box and ftp your stuff after traffic management hours as well. Most of the top torrent sites like SCC and TL most members use ovh and the resellers for all things torrent and ftp stuff securely. Even better if you can pay for the seedbox anonymously and you can even tunnel all your internet traffic on your pc and utorrent through ssh and putty.
timetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsat View Post
The problem with torrents is often the upload. The way cable modems work is that every batch of data downloaded needs to be acknowledged, if your upload is full of torrents, then the ack's get delayed and your download suffers.

Try capping your Torrent upload to about half your quoted upload and watch your downloads speed up

I've already tried limiting the upload speed as this is something I've been doing from day one... Personally I think VM just don't want us customers to be able to download at full high speed when download torrents! It frustrates me even more the fact I can't even watch a hd video on youtube without it buffering then not even load **** all up! Yes I'm angry and I've emailed em last night...
mr_shazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 456
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_shazzi View Post
I've already tried limiting the upload speed as this is something I've been doing from day one... Personally I think VM just don't want us customers to be able to download at full high speed when download torrents! It frustrates me even more the fact I can't even watch a hd video on youtube without it buffering then not even load **** all up! Yes I'm angry and I've emailed em last night...
Virgin media arent doing anything out of the ordinary, yes they have traffic management in place but generally you can download what you want outside of that at full speed. If you cant then it could be an issue your side or the crappy torrent site that your downloading from that dont have high speed uploaders..
timetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
super Senior Member
 
bobby123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 156
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

just download ultrasurf.us and run it and your good
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_shazzi View Post
Is there any way of fooling the new ''network traffic rules'' from detecting that you're downloading a torrent through the virgin media services??
bobby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-12, 06:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrex View Post
Virgin media arent doing anything out of the ordinary, yes they have traffic management in place but generally you can download what you want outside of that at full speed. If you cant then it could be an issue your side or the crappy torrent site that your downloading from that dont have high speed uploaders..

Everytime I want to download something in the form of a torrent I always check to see if its the lack of uploaders for the crappy download speed but this is never the case.
mr_shazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-12, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby123 View Post
just download ultrasurf.us and run it and your good

What is ultra surf and does it bypass the network traffic rules and give high speed downloads?
mr_shazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-12, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 456
Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_shazzi View Post
Everytime I want to download something in the form of a torrent I always check to see if its the lack of uploaders for the crappy download speed but this is never the case.
I have a funny feeling it is your setup that is this issue or where you downloading from. My speed was fine when I was a vm customer both during traffic management times and outside of that.

You cant bypass the quota of data during traffic management hours, as already pointed out by the coder. If you want to protect your data then VPN type services will help.
timetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to Google Google

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virgin Media to double the speed of customer broadband joe516 Cable Modems 19 24-05-12 02:31 PM
Virgin have started their service with me in great style, not! TheWire Cable TV Chat 6 26-06-11 01:40 PM
Traffic Management RoloX Broadband 2 13-04-11 10:35 PM
virgin media sold bobby123 Cable TV Chat 10 23-07-10 12:37 AM
Ofcom launches debate on traffic management Internet News Internet 0 05-07-10 12:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.