Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Internet

Internet Using the internet - technology, software, and webmaster discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-12, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Virgin media's network traffic management

Youtube is crap for watching videos, their server is a C64 with an acoustic coupler...

Old 16-08-12, 04:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_shazzi View Post
Don't get me wrong I am a very technical minded person but what the heck does news bins mean???
news binary's , in the old days before the web was http , news text sheets where posted and downloaded in binary format .

these binary storage systems are an integral part of the net , your isp normally provides news access servers . check the settings page of your isp .

as its binary storage its not limited to text so anything can be stored there , your download will be from a server so not limited to users like torrents .

my download speed is my max speed
mikie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super-Dooper Moderator

The problem with torrents is often the upload. The way cable modems work is that every batch of data downloaded needs to be acknowledged, if your upload is full of torrents, then the ack's get delayed and your download suffers.

Try capping your Torrent upload to about half your quoted upload and watch your downloads speed up

Drivers Protest Union
lincsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-12, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoder View Post
Even using a vpn may not get you far as VM seem to 'reduce' the speed of various default vpn ports. Using a vpn also doesn't change the 'quantity' based rules - you may even apparently get less real data as more protocol/encryption information has to be stripped away.
Probably better renting a good seed box and ftp your stuff after traffic management hours as well. Most of the top torrent sites like SCC and TL most members use ovh and the resellers for all things torrent and ftp stuff securely. Even better if you can pay for the seedbox anonymously and you can even tunnel all your internet traffic on your pc and utorrent through ssh and putty.
timetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincsat View Post
The problem with torrents is often the upload. The way cable modems work is that every batch of data downloaded needs to be acknowledged, if your upload is full of torrents, then the ack's get delayed and your download suffers.

Try capping your Torrent upload to about half your quoted upload and watch your downloads speed up

I've already tried limiting the upload speed as this is something I've been doing from day one... Personally I think VM just don't want us customers to be able to download at full high speed when download torrents! It frustrates me even more the fact I can't even watch a hd video on youtube without it buffering then not even load **** all up! Yes I'm angry and I've emailed em last night...
mr_shazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I've already tried limiting the upload speed as this is something I've been doing from day one... Personally I think VM just don't want us customers to be able to download at full high speed when download torrents! It frustrates me even more the fact I can't even watch a hd video on youtube without it buffering then not even load **** all up! Yes I'm angry and I've emailed em last night...
Virgin media arent doing anything out of the ordinary, yes they have traffic management in place but generally you can download what you want outside of that at full speed. If you cant then it could be an issue your side or the crappy torrent site that your downloading from that dont have high speed uploaders..
Old 17-08-12, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
super Senior Member

just download ultrasurf.us and run it and your good
Quote:
Is there any way of fooling the new ''network traffic rules'' from detecting that you're downloading a torrent through the virgin media services??
bobby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-12, 06:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrex View Post
Virgin media arent doing anything out of the ordinary, yes they have traffic management in place but generally you can download what you want outside of that at full speed. If you cant then it could be an issue your side or the crappy torrent site that your downloading from that dont have high speed uploaders..

Everytime I want to download something in the form of a torrent I always check to see if its the lack of uploaders for the crappy download speed but this is never the case.
Old 18-08-12, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby123 View Post
just download ultrasurf.us and run it and your good

What is ultra surf and does it bypass the network traffic rules and give high speed downloads?
Old 18-08-12, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Everytime I want to download something in the form of a torrent I always check to see if its the lack of uploaders for the crappy download speed but this is never the case.
I have a funny feeling it is your setup that is this issue or where you downloading from. My speed was fine when I was a vm customer both during traffic management times and outside of that.

You cant bypass the quota of data during traffic management hours, as already pointed out by the coder. If you want to protect your data then VPN type services will help.