Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Satellite TV > Satellite Help

Satellite Help Anything satellite related

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-13, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Setting Up Satellite

Currently setting up my motorised 80cm dish but at the moment trying to tune it in to .08w Thor using a basic sat meter. Thinking that i am on Thor i have done a scan on my dm500s picking nothing up so with the box connected to the lnb direct no motor ive selected 5 sats east and 5 west to see which sat i am picking up. and found feeds on 4.8 east and 5 west and 7 west. So im now scratching my head to which the dish is pointing to. Any help
rishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-13, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Setting Up Satellite

Hi rishy,
welcome to the forum.
This is a common problem, with all of us, from beginners to even the seasoned satellite enthusiast.
Many satellites share similar frequencies, polarities, and S/R, what you need to do is scan in some FTA channels, Free to Air, then look at the televison logo, write down the frequency, and polarity, then check with sites like lyngsat.com, to see which satellite the channel matches up to.
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/
For example 5E:
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-4A-and-SES-5.html
Look for the red F, for Free to Air.
Mickha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-13, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just had a look at the channels name from the EPG names match up to those on lyngsat of two different satellites. As the motor is not connected the box at the moment is direct to lnb this is getting me confused to which satellite i am pointing to. Going to get the misses android phone and use the satellite director app to help me, as this seems a lot harder when what i read and watched.

On another topic, when i was playing with the motor and tried using the goto option from the box, if i wanted to move to 28.2 it would go to 40 odd using the markings on the motor if selecting another satellite it would go back to 0
Old 15-10-13, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goto is also referred to as Usals. To use this properly you need to set your motor to 0, then enter your latitude, and longitude, send your dish to a satellite, like 0.8W, then physically move the motor, and dish, to get the best signal from 0.8W. Once done you should be close to tracking the satellite arc correctly.

Can you please post some channel names, and frequencies, that you are picking up.
If struggling to identify the satellite you are on try going to lyngsat, find some FTA channels, that you can receive, then enter them manually and see if the channel matches what is listed.
Old 17-10-13, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Connected back to the motor to the dm500s and i cant get a lock on any transponder but when using a basic meter is looks like im getting a strong signal but nothing from the box

i think may be time to call in a professional
Old 17-10-13, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A basic meter is useful for locating, and tuning, satellites, when used properly.
Fisrt you have the sensitivity tuned to maximum, so that it beeps at the first sign of a satellite, then you need to fine tune it, to get the maximum signal strength.
You do this by turning the knob, on the meter, until the reading equals half way, about 5, then you gently move the dish, until it reaches maximum, turn the satellite meter knob again, to get 5, then keep doing this until you obtain the maximum signal, on your chosen satellite.
Don't forget to adjust the dish both ways, East/West, and Up/Down, to get the maximum signal.
Once done then scan the channels in on your satellite receiver.
Old 18-10-13, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats what ive been doing using the phone with the sateliite director app to point the dish in the correct location then using the meter to fine tune it, but with that i still dont get a lock from the STB - ive tried the meter in two locations 1 between the box and motor 2 between the motor and lnb

or could something be faulty stb or motor i have 3 lnbs here icecrypt/technomate and a maplins one - currently installed is the technomate one
Old 18-10-13, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you have the strongest signal available then try a blind scan, to see if you get any channels, so that you can work out what satellite you are on.
Of course you might be pointed at a weaker satellite, like 26E, 7W, which might explain why your receiver isn't scanning in any channels.
You can try your receiver on another set up; even Sky UK, to see if it is working.
The fact that your mter is working shows the LNB is working, and the cable, and the receiver is sending a signal.
Once you have the stronest signal, possible, try connecting the LNB directly to the receiver, bypassing the motor, and meter, and see if that works.
Old 19-10-13, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

one thing that i have noticed is that one of the dm500s i have got with just the power and scart connected no LNB it is show a signal on both SNR and AGC but nothings connected, however if i connect my sky dish to it - it works absolutely fine
Old 19-10-13, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Try moving your dish east, using the motor, to 28.2E, and see if you get a picture on your sky receiver.
You might have to switch from Usals, (Goto), to diseqc 1.2, which will allow you to manually step your dish east. Give it a few seconds to get a signal.
To set up on Thor, 0.8W, it's best to tune your receiver to a FTA channel, Sky News, or BBC World news are both good.
Both are on 11862 H 28000 DVB-S