Go Back   Techwatch forums > Tech Forums > Apple

Apple Apple computers: Apple hardware, software, iMac, Apple accessories, and the Mac OS X.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-07, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default iMac vs Mac Pro?

I'm looking to move away from Windows and not end up on Vista, so my next PC choice would either be an Apple or a Linux running Ubuntu or similar.

If I go for a Mac, then I can run Boot Camp and migrate from Windows XP gradually...

Question is, looking at the Apple Macs, I'm having difficulty deciding on specs alone between the iMac and Mac Pro:

Apple - iMac
Apple - Mac Pro

On the one hand, the iMac looks like a basic functional PC, but its low RAM is off-putting.

However, the Mac Pro has better specs, but doesn't seem to come with a monitor even at that price.

Overall, the Apple's don't seem very price competitive compared to a PC, so I guess the iMac looks the better deal.

Question is, is 1GB RAM really going to work on an Apple, especially when I'm looking to do media (music/film) editing?
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gav

Default Re: iMac vs Mac Pro?

Personally, I would choose the iMac unless you have a large budget.

The iMac is far better value than the Mac Pro (which I expect will be refreshed soon).

As for the memory, I don't think 1gb is enough, especially with Leopard, but you can buy more memory very cheaply. 25 for a 1GB stick?

Apple overcharge for adding memory at the time of order, and you can save a bundle buy doing it yourself (VERY easy)

The iMac is a good value system at the moment, and can do a lot and should manage all but the most complex video editing with ease. Maybe even, dare I say it, gaming?
Old 12-01-08, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm in agreement with GAV, and I would invest in extra memory from the outset. A minimum of 3Gb recommended for heavier workloads - thus, the more memory installed - the better.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-08, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Brian,

I have been using MAC's for about 5 years now and recently just got a MacBook Pro.

I do not think you can compare the memory like for like with a PC as Apple control the standards far tighter so a 1gb system is fine for photo video editing using the standard tools that come with OS x. Although more RAM is never a bad thing.

If you plan to edit using Final Cut or any of the pro packages (although photoshop is fine for home editing with 1gb) I would get the mac pro. If you are using the OS x built in tools (that are very good) stick with the Imac.

In general your memory stretches a lot further in a mac than a PC.

Hope this helps

brian
brian873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-08, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have only recently acquired an iMac and it takes what's thrown at it very well. This from a PC person since the original IBM came out! Additional memory is cheap as well - I got a 2GB SODIMM from Crucial for around 32 delivered. I have used it for video editing using iMovie and it couldn't be easier
After the initial learning curve I am finding the truth is that 'they just work' as he ads say. Unfortunately I've got to stick with the clunky PC for most of my sat stuff (Skystar etc).
JK
Old 11-06-08, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Question is, is 1GB RAM really going to work on an Apple, especially when I'm looking to do media (music/film) editing?
yes it's enough for film editing, but 2gb are better ;-)
encheres01100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I really have to recomment Crucial, brilliant service and really good value!
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would recomend the Mac Pro if your looking to edit video/music - I've had an iMac and they're not as powerful as i'd want them to be so i upgraded cuz i do a lot of video editing of upto 4 hour length projects. Also make sure you get a big hard drive. that's one of the problems i've had with saving large video projects. i bought the 23inch apple monitor too but you can use any monitor...

Sonya_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian873 View Post
If you plan to edit using Final Cut or any of the pro packages (although photoshop is fine for home editing with 1gb) I would get the mac pro. If you are using the OS x built in tools (that are very good) stick with the Imac.
i agree - if u want to use the pro packages go with Mac Pro

Sonya_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote