Technology Forums: FTA, Satellite, Cable, Home Media, Hardware & Computers
|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  

Go Back   Techwatch: Satellite TV forums, FTA, Cable, Hardware, & Tech forums > Satellite Help > Satellite Receivers > Dreambox

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dreambox For satellite Dreambox versions, including 7000, 7020, 7025, 8000, 5620, 500, 600. For cable Dreambox please post here.

Old 22-10-07, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
robbo71
Super Moderator

Default Why get a Dreambox?

Hi guys
Ok, I have my Technomate, it's cheap, but as you all know, is quite capable.
I have read through a number of threads now re Linux/Dream boxes, but what I really can't figure out is what advantages does it have.
I'm sure I am missing out on something, but I don't know what it is?
Please could you tell me what the advantages of a Dreambox type box are, over a standard patchable receiver such as the Techy.
Old 22-10-07, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jimdefruit
Dreamy Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Jimdefruit
Default Re: Why get a Dreambox?

Hi robbo, there is a huge amount of support for the dreambox with several new and improved images appearing very regularly. If you have a network preferably with a router then all the software emulations etc can be installed from the internet direct to the Dreambox. Keys can be automatically updated and it is a great machine with lots of plugins.

Stick a hard drive in the Dreambox and you can do timeshifted recording. Put your cd folders on the hard drive and you can play the music just like a juke box. Do the same with your favourite photos and you can have a picture show.

Pop a usb memory stick in the Dreambox and you can have several images on multiboot so you can try a new image without destroying your existing installation.

And that is just scratching the surface.

If you like what you see here, tell your friends.
Jimdefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
robbo71
Super Moderator

Ok, thanks Jim,

I have a DVD/HDD recorder that can do all the timeshifting/recording play music/ show photos etc, so I would just be doubling up in that respect.(until it breaks of course).

I'm more interested in the advantages for sat TV. Like why do you want all those images and plugins? How do the keys get updated automatically, why is it different to patched rec' AU ?
Old 23-10-07, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Analoguesat
Site Moderator

I thought my beloved old Echostar IP3000VA was the dogs danglies until I bought my 7020. But the DB blows it out of the water. If you like fiddling with settings it realy is the ultimate receiver. Its infinitely configurable, there is shed loads of unofficial support and its just a fun receiver.

HOWEVER its not for everybody. There is a horribly steep learning curve before you start getting the best out of it, so if you want to take it out of the box and use it straight away stick with a "normal" receiver. (It will work straight out of the box of course, but then you have to start getting into the gubbins to use it at its best. Ive had mine over 12 months and Im still finding new things to do with it!)

5 dishes for 5E/9E/13E/16E/19E/23E/28E

Please DO NOT pm the mods & admins for c&ble keys. You may get banned for it!

Read the rules before you post - click here to read them
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
nanochickin
Dreambox 7020 & 600 Guru

The DB is the dogs b0llocks Blows my old TMS 1500 CI+ into the water

As both Jim & AS have said once its setup properly you don't have to go looking for keys, you just get the box to download them by pushing just three buttons instead of connecting & disconnecting the RS232 as you would on the Techy

Only the 7000/7020 series can boot from USB, The 500 & 600 as far as i am aware can't do this and they also have less memory although they are still very capable receivers.

If you go for a 500 get one from a Dream Multimedia approved seller otherwise you will more than likely end up with a cheap Chinese copy, and also beware of the earlier 7020s as they suffered from networking gremlins

Its also more or less future proof unlike cards & cams. As far as i am aware although i may be wrong its also one of the only receivers that can decode from a Nagra 3 card when using the right choice of EMU.

The main advantages of the Dreambox and most other Linux based receivers is that it can be used for CS if you can find a group to join

The only thing i can say now is that if your not good with computers and FTP it won't be for you as most of the programing is done at your computer rather than at the box

Just go and buy one, i can guarentee you won't regret it

Nano

Old 27-10-07, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
BGonaSTICK
Super Murderator

Why?

Because it's the best satellite receiver there is?

It's the ultimate toy, and will teach you more about satellite TV in the first month than a year of bashing the forums
Old 07-01-08, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
steviox

if i didnt have a dreambox i would nt have anything else to do!
steviox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
rage99
Technology Forums

Why Get a Dreambox You Ask ?

Because you get every single channel.

Took me 1 hour to get up and running, took me 2 hours to understand everything fully.

And if ur gonna get one... get the brand new 500S+ model, not 500-s .....
[url__http://www.dvb-shop24.net/product_info.php/info/p26_DREAMBOX-500S----THE-LINUX-SATELLITE-RECEIVER.html]DVB-Shop24 - The satellite tv shop for UK and Ireland - DREAMBOX 500S+ - THE LINUX SATELLITE RECEIVER 1[/url]

Last edited by kerrywez : 02-04-08 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Live links of this type not allowed on the forum
rage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
robbo71
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage99 View Post

Because you get every single channel.

Cardsharing I presume?
Old 02-04-08, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
kerrywez

Send a message via MSN to kerrywez

That si the main one I would imagine Robbo, if you want the lot that is how it is done. You may, or may not, know that I have no such luxury as my dial up is no good for it. But if you got BB then you have the world at your feet, so to speak. Even though I cannot CS with my two boxes I would never sell them as they are just so interesting to play about with and as has been said the support is second to none. Go for it Robbo, you will thank us for this very good advice.

Very best regards Wez

Very best regards Wez