Technology Forums: FTA, Satellite, Cable, Home Media, Hardware & Computers
|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  

Go Back   Techwatch: Satellite TV forums, FTA, Cable, Hardware, & Tech forums > General Forum > The Lounge

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge Talk about things other than Gadgets. Just keep it clean and legal.

Old 30-05-08, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
joebhoy

Default 42" HD TV from Aldi ??

Check this out

TEVION MD 30113 42" Stereo LCD-TV

570 quid.

Code:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6101.htm
Anyone used one of these TVs before ? Seems a good price ?

Joe.
joebhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
brian
Administrator

Default Re: 42" HD TV from Aldi ??

To be honest, you get what you pay for - 600 or so may sound cheap in terms of getting a HD TV - but if you end up not liking it because you think the picture quality isn't great, then would that 600 still seem cheap?

I think people need to be careful buying HDTV's - I got burned buying a plasma from Comet a few years back, which was eventually returned after getting Trading Standards involved. I got a normal CRT afterwards, and would be extremely careful buying again.

If a HD TV has image quality issues, it's not simply a poor picture - it's a fecking big 42" poor picture.

2c.
brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
merlodlliw

Location: bwlchgwyn, 1375 Ft,highest village in Wales,Wrexham County

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebhoy View Post
Check this out

TEVION MD 30113 42" Stereo LCD-TV

570 quid.

Code:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6101.htm
Anyone used one of these TVs before ? Seems a good price ?

Joe.
Tevion is a good brand,I have bought an excellent sender for 22 last year,however I can not give an opinion of the T.V. Tesco have similiar
cheaper than this price.
One thing about Aldi, it has to be paid for in cash,or debit card there & then, so you rely on the Aldi guarantee, and if it does go wrong, it has to be sent away.
The Tessie Cohen system,is pay how you like,get a years interest free etc,no quibble cash return or take another off the shelf.

Take your pick, but I dont think the Aldi price is a bargain,this model
is old,been in the stores last year as well. OK Tessie Cohen sells end of line as does Sainsbury, take your pick as Michael Miles said.

Bob
merlodlliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
brian
Administrator

Good point about cash/debit cards - I absolutely recommend that if you buy big electrical goods that you always do so with a credit card.

That way, if there's a problem, your credit card company can come down heavy on the seller.

If you pay by debit card, though, it's just you vs the seller - consumer protections
are civil laws, not criminal ones, so it would be up to the individual to spend their time and money engaging in legal action, or else site around waiting for Trading Standards to act.

Credit card makes everything so much safer.

That was another reason I had problems with Comet - I paid by debit card - and even though the TV was fault, the manager actually told me on the phone he wouldn't take it back because it would cost him money.
brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
merlodlliw

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
To be honest, you get what you pay for - 600 or so may sound cheap in terms of getting a HD TV - but if you end up not liking it because you think the picture quality isn't great, then would that 600 still seem cheap?

I think people need to be careful buying HDTV's - I got burned buying a plasma from Comet a few years back, which was eventually returned after getting Trading Standards involved. I got a normal CRT afterwards, and would be extremely careful buying again.

If a HD TV has image quality issues, it's not simply a poor picture - it's a fecking big 42" poor picture.

2c.
I have a sony CRT 29 inch, it is about 18 years old,and on a SD picture
I have not yet found a LCD or Plasma to compare the quality.

I have not ventured into anything other than CRT,as I know I would be
disappointed. If I was buying,unless Aldi sold this set for 150 I would not touch it. Danger of buying electricals from a store that for 51 weeks never stocks them.

It may interest you to know BBC/ITV engineers use HD crts, never lcd
for production.

Bob
Old 30-05-08, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
merlodlliw

Joe I have just contacted Tesco Direct Store in Wrexham, they have specials, 42 inch Sonys and Philips all well under 600,all LCD.and important
in unopened boxes.

The Tevion is not a bargain by any means. Hope this helps

Bob
Old 30-05-08, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
redoxide

I bought one last year from aldi (42" LCD) and to be honest i have no complaints about it what so ever. it has a very good picture Certainly as good as some of the more expensive competition at the time. Its contrast ratio of 2000:1 and response time of 5ms were equal to and in some cases better than the competitor brands i was looking at.
At the time i bought it was sold with a 3 year warranty (as is the current one) and a 30 day money back guarantee! i even asked the shop manager for confirmation and he said "take it home and try it and if you decide for what ever reason you dont like it just bring it back with its packaging and i will give you a full refund" now thats not a bad deal. its worth checking but im pretty sure they still offer this.
Ok so its not a supa dupa Sony, but it didnt cost supa dupa sony money either. like i said though its picture was the equal of all the similar sets (LCD) that i was looking at at the time and i have no regrets with my purchase.

Cheers, Red

Last edited by redoxide : 30-05-08 at 05:25 PM.
redoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-08, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
merlodlliw

Horses for courses, you are happy with the buy, thats fine, I just wonder with the guarantee, what happens if it goes wrong, do you pay the transit to the workshop and how long for a repair.

I do not have the t.v, so can not comment on it.

I have been to Wrexham this afternoon to photo the Sky road show and put up the free offer, while in Wrexham I called to the Tesco Direct
store, and indeed they do have a philips 42 inch LCD on offer in store at
580, the Sony was sold out, but the badge was there it also was 42 inch
reduced from 900 to 580 also, guarantee a year.(the sales badge had
four reductions on it).

Also of note Tesco have a load of 42inch Tecnika also at 575, these appear to be brand new, in different style boxes, sizes range from 32 inch
to 37 and then the 42, seems a Tesco own brand,

Bob
Old 31-05-08, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
LocheeMan

Interesting thread guys, I'm thinking of getting a big one (T.V.) but not sure whether to go up-market Sony style or cheap & cheerful, LCD or plasma. Any ideas on whats good value for money out there just now, Tescos seems to hav been mentioned quite a bit, do they hav good deals often or is it every now & then when they want to clear some shelves?

cheers
LocheeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-08, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
redoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlodlliw View Post
Horses for courses, you are happy with the buy, thats fine, I just wonder with the guarantee, what happens if it goes wrong, do you pay the transit to the workshop and how long for a repair.

Bob
That's a valid point and one with which i agree, luckily for me though so far i have had not to test their warranty system so i cant comment on that particular aspect of their customer service.
The set is now a year old and so far has performed faultlessly (i'm gonna wish i never said that now knowing my luck ) so it has reached the end of many other manufacturers standard warranty period and still has a further two years of cover. quite probably with another manufacturer i would have to pay for some sort of extended warranty to keep me covered for this extra period of time (if they hadn't already sold me some at the time of purchase that is) so even if i did have to pay some sort of carriage costs i probably wouldn't be that much out of pocket.

But as you have mentioned the prices of big flat screens from the big manufacturers has tumbled of late. When i bought this set from Aldi i saved a couple of hundred quid against a comparable set from say Samsung or Panasonic but this is no longer the case and now your more likely only saving 50 - 100 pounds instead. Still a saving but not quite as attractive as it was when i was looking. and probably much less of an enticement to tempt you away from an established name.
I took a chance and for me it was a result but if at the time the savings were as little as they are now i doubt if i would have took the risk.

Anyway the particular set i bought was a goodun, and out of interest its specs on contrast ratio and refresh rate are better than the one that's presently on offer from Aldi, and one thing that's very important on an LCD is its refresh rate especially when watching sport.

Red

Last edited by redoxide : 31-05-08 at 07:32 PM.
redoxide is offline   Reply With Quote