Technology Forums: FTA, Satellite, Cable, Home Media, Hardware & Computers
|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  

Go Back   Techwatch: Satellite TV forums, FTA, Cable, Hardware, & Tech forums > Satellite Help > Satellite for Beginners

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Satellite for Beginners Newbie to satellite? Don't be scared... you're in the right place

Old 02-06-08, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
mingskickassdad

Default am i dreaming ???

hi guys. i've been around cable forums. for tv and internet for years but i'm an absolute newbie with sky.

anyways i'm in a dream position in that my boss, very well off guy has offered to pay for everything needed to setup a sky system that can be shared buy all the members of our demolition team. and his family i suspect lol. from what i've read so far it seems possible through a card share system "he's willing to pay for all channels on one box".
is this right???????????
is it possible to patch something like a technomate tm 5200 so as it connects to net and then sync's with others in group to share card details.???????????
will i also pickup other channels like others with use of motorised dishes????
hope this is right guys. what a great new hobby

look forward to hearing comments and advise :-)
mingskickassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
robbo71
Super Moderator

Default Re: am i dreaming ???

Hi,
A Technomate TM5400 is not the best box for connecting to the internet as it does't have a network port and has to be connected to a PC via a serial lead.

A Linux box such as a Dreambox on the other hand is more suitable for being permanently connected to the internet. I know no further details as I have a TM1000.

The TM5400 is an easy to use receiver and is however suitable for a basic motorised setup and reception from satellites all over Europe and beyond. A setup with a 1m dish and a Diseqc motor would not be too difficult to achieve.

Robbo

Last edited by robbo71 : 02-06-08 at 06:39 PM.
robbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
mingskickassdad

Hmm. cool. i've dealt with many d-box and dreamboxes in past but of course on the cable side. always new they had sat versions but never looked into it. oops just felt a fool thinking.....most software i used was sat based also.
thanks for giveing me a starting point...
mingskickassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
kerrywez
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to kerrywez

If you all get dreamboxes and join a card sharing ring then you can all share the card in that ring, but you will all need to have paid up card in your machine, the words card sharing are the important ones here, everyone in the ring must have a card to join and some rings will not accept some cards either. In essence your plan is possible, but every one of you will need a card to get into a card sharing ring so it will not work out that cheap in the long run.

It might be possible to share the one card amongst your selves, but I am not involved in card sharing so would not know all there is to know about it.

Very best regards Wez
Old 02-06-08, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
robbo71
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrywez View Post

It might be possible to share the one card amongst your selves, but I am not involved in card sharing so would not know all there is to know about it.
I think that's the general idea Wez
Old 02-06-08, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
spikebaby

it is possible to share one card for all, i cannot post exactly how to do it as it involves nds which they dont like ...have a search on google
spikebaby is offline   Reply With Quote