Technology Forums: FTA, Satellite, Cable, Home Media, Hardware & Computers
|  Home   |  Forums   |  News   |  Blog   |  

Go Back   Techwatch: Satellite TV forums, FTA, Cable, Hardware, & Tech forums > Home Digital > HDTV

Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDTV High Definition, and what it means for satellite

Old 08-06-08, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
JoeG

Default Freesat box connections to HD TV - HELP NEEDED

Hi everybody
This is my first post and I need a little help, please.
I have a 42" Atec HD-ready TV, about 2 years old, that does not have a HDMI socket, but it does have a DVI socket.
I have just bought a Bush Freesat receiver and, as I understand it, in order to receive HD broadcasts I need to connect an HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV as a scart connection will only transmit SD broadcasts. I bought a HDMI-to-DVI conversion cable and fitted it but I cannot get any sound!
On the back of the Freesat box there is only a Digital Audio Out (SPDIF) connection, but no corresponding one on the back of the TV! The box has no other audio output sockets, but the TV has the usual audio input sockets as well as a PC audio in.
Are there conversion cables I can buy for SPDIF-to-Audio Jack? What other solutions may there be?
Thanks for your help in anticipation.
JoeG
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
rawsy

Default Re: Freesat box connections to HD TV - HELP NEEDED

get a scart to phono adaptor and just use a minidisk lead to connect to you pc audio in. as you have probably guest dvi doesnt carry audio. getting this type of adaptor is the cheapest way to get sound
rawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
JoeG

Many thanks Rawsy, but I thought the TV could only 'source' one connection - wouldn't the HDMI-to-DVI connection (source on tv being set to DVI) ignore the sound coming through from the scart socket (source on tv would have to be set to AV1)?
Sorry to labour the point, but I'd prefer to take the Bush box back to Argos and go back to Sky, rather than keep trying different things and just get more and more frustrated with things that 'might' work or 'should' work!!!
Old 08-06-08, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
rawsy

i would be very suprised if you couldnt get at least the audio channels out of the scart socket even with dvi selected.
rawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
lincsat
Super-Dooper Moderator

The TV should be able to source audio from the phono's and video via the DVI - that would be a standard PC connection configuration

Please consider Donating to the Forum
lincsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
kerrywez

Send a message via MSN to kerrywez

Hi mate,
You must use the HDMI cable, supplied with the box if you want to view the HD channels from Freesat. On the Humax Foxsat the component and scart were working up till the 1.0.7 update and it was that update which disabled the component and scart connections. The connections have been disabled because of DMR and all that goes with it, it is not the fault of the box or the manufactures, but has been done to stop the making of pirate copies of films and that, but those who are out to pirate them would not be using that method to copy them, so it is cr&p and, as usual, it is the honest people who are the victims in all this. The Sly HD box does not, at the moment have the scart or component disabled, but have said that they will when they really have to.

The very sickening thing about all this sh!t is that if you have various non Freesat boxes are not affected by this DRM cr&p, so it is those who have supported Freesat who are the only persons who have had their connections disabled, those who have not paid a penny to support Freesat can have the lot. Freesat really needs to get their act together, the sh!t about Northern Ireland and Scottish postcodes being useless for receiving ITV HD is another example of Freesat's ineptness and their people at the top should never be allowed any bonus, but they will be rewarded for their cockups, no doubt.

Very best regards Wez
Old 09-06-08, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
JoeG

Many thanks, Everybody - I've sussed out the connections I need and things are working ok now, apart from the problems outlined by Kerrywez regarding Freesat's 'ineptness' (I'd call it something a heck of a lot stronger but I don't want to be in breach of forum rules).
The idea of going back to Sky, however, was never really on the cards as I am sick and tired of gettintg ripped off by them - the principle of Free Satellite Access for UK viewers of free-to-air TV is excellent and why Sky (BSkyB) were allowed to hijack satellite and run a virtual monopoly for so long has always baffled me!!!
If and when Freesat gets going properly and gets many more channels on board, then I think the promise of 'free satellite for all' really will have come of age.

Many thanks once again for your help,

Regards JoeG
Old 09-06-08, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
kerrywez

Send a message via MSN to kerrywez

Hi Joe,
The man on the street thinks that there is only one satellite and that it is owned by Sly, perhaps now people will realise there is satellite TV other than Sly and that there are loads of satellite up there, the channels on which anyone can watch for free. I have the feeling that Freesat will hurt Sly in ways other than just taking customers from it. People will be looking on the net for help with Freesat and they will see, in forums like this one, that there is a wealth on stuff on many satellites all over the place. The sooner that Sly gets a kick up the rear the better and I am sure it is just around the corner.

Very best regards Wez