Don't flog your subbed boxes on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Digital TV' started by Lethagized, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Lethagized

Lethagized Well-Known Member

Cancelled my VM contract (internet and tv) due to moving over to O2 internet and Sky+. VM said they were gonna collect the modem and subbed box mid dec 2008. 2 months later and they still didn't collect them so on Ebay they went. Had lots of interest in them and 2 days later i get a letter of VM saying they're gonna collect the boxes. I let them collect their stuff but it goes to show that Ebay are giving your details over to Vm, isn't that against the DPA??

2. Smurf

Smurf Well-Known Member

What did u say to virmin? Say u disposed them as they didnt collect by the time that was given. And as far as i know it is against the DPA as its your personal sensitive information. No one should pass it on without your permission.

3. adjbeatbox

adjbeatbox Multimedia Menace

There might even be a 'department' of fleebay's, keeping an 'eye' out 4 CC's equipment being listed & reports it to them. Maybe not fleebay devulging anthing more than 'items 4 sale' lists to em, and then the cc's dept lookin @ the sellers details. Whateva way its being done, goes to show that after your contract is up with em, either through voiding it, or by completion of it (12 or 18 months cant remember now), then the goods dont neccessarily become your property....
    I've heard of people being lettered and told that the owe £150 4 boxes that haven't been returned!! :shocked:
    Anway, another example of why you shouldnt mess with subbed equipment...Incase they want it back!!! I know this aint the case ere, but muppets are STILL doing it.Grrrrrr:evil:
    Beatbox

4. Lethagized

Lethagized Well-Known Member

Well i forgot to say that they didn't actually send a letter, they just had some bloke in a plain white fiesta turn up on my door 2 days after the item was put on ebay. At the time i wasn't in, but he left a notice with his mobile on so i arranged for them to be collected the next day. I felt like saying "no, F off you told me mid dec it's now mid feb" but i just can't be doing with the hassle and threat of the £150 fine for each item. VM are also tracking buyers of these boxes. One buyer asked me if i would take it off ebay and sell it him for £25, he's already been warned by VM for buying them off ebay apparently. Me being greedy i refused his offer to see how much i would get but it turned out VM got it in the end.

5. afcwomble

afcwomble Well-Known Member

I'd be more than surprised if ebay gave out any details due to confidentiality-i would say only the police could obtain details if fraud etc.. was involved. Virgin are more likely to have the item removed under the VERO scheme-more likely just a coincidence that they came to collect-by the time the relevant paperwork does its rounds at virgin and gets to the collections dept 2 months sounds about right.

6. MorriSoft

MorriSoft Dr Audiophile Anonymous

IT Administrator, Barman, Tech-Wiz..
    Agreed!

Several friends had to wait upto 3 months just to get told the equipment was going to be collected, one still had the box + modem 5 months after cancellation!!

Virmin, full stop CANNOT ask for or be given details regarding purchases upon ebay or any other auction website. Its against DPA and would likely result in massive fines should they be caught doing so, not to mention how uneasy customers would feel knowing virmin were breaking the law regarding DPA - just not something they would risk, period.

If you recieve a letter from VM saying stuff regarding an unauthorised set top box, put the letter where it best belongs. The shredder, there have been several versions of this so called letter of knowledge from Virmin, and despite such, it is still the same scare tactic it was several years back when they first appeared.

Ebay full stop will not and have probably never done such a thing, as again the consequences would be dire! Do you really think these companies are going to risk butt-f***ing themselves just to catch out your average joe?

I think not.

7. adjbeatbox

adjbeatbox Multimedia Menace

'Average Joe's' on a few of these sites.... times, say eurovox, dreambox, etc losses plus modders out there on orig Nthell/virmin equipment....
    If a few secrets are for us i.e BK databases, Sasect and such like, your addament that there isnt a mole/leak on fleebay? Either employed by them or not, as the case may be, giving the nod whenever there equipment is being flogged isnt that far fetched. Look @ the original poster and how close he was queried on his equipment when it went up 4 sale?!
    Just a thought...
    Beatbox

8. MorriSoft

Please don't get me wrong. I didn't intend to suggest it was not happening at all.

Of course there could be some leak somewhere. Fleabay would not be the likely place though, since they cracked down on modded equips.

Simply put, ebay remove the boxes from auction because allowing users to sell them would be illegal on ebays part. They are likely not to give two sh*ts who buys or sells what provided it won't harm their income, reputation and future as a business.

I really do believe it to be nothing more than scare tactic. Why else would you hear so little of actual convictions?

You make a valid point and credit where credit is due, you could very well be right. However, is it not more likely this is just a coincidence and people are just winding themselves up? (again)

9. RR-TV

RR-TV Ex cable guy

sia doorman, vinyl stickers
    funny u say this:

i have sold a lot of remotes on ebay ( 100 plus )and they go like hot cakes and go straight away, yet my last 5 lots have had 3 watchers on each one and have not sold, very strange as listed 3 times and still not gone and selling them in 5`s and 10`s like i always have

10. MorriSoft

While I was purchasing a new remote for my box I watched several to find the best deal.

I didn't purchase all 6 that I had watched though! Perhaps something similar happened with your items?

11. bobbytheparrot

bobbytheparrot Member

Hello all, Ebay are more than willing to give out your details. A few months back i was selling a laptop on ebay and had it on a 7 day listing, about 2days into the listing i had a knock on my door. (I just moved house and had ONLY just chanced the details before that auction) it was the CIA they had confiscated the laptop due to there being a report to them that the laptop was stollen. However i knew it wasnt i had the receipt so in the end it was all good and i sold the laptop ok. However it only took them 2 days to: Find my Auction, Get My Details, Arrange a Warrant. I was very carefull now after that.

In the end i didn't get in trouble or anything just was a litte upset at it all :(.

Jamie Cruickshank

12. MorriSoft

CIA? Where are you living my friend? USA I assume?

13. bobbytheparrot

bobbytheparrot Member

No sorry CID, i live in Scotland. i get them mixed up :p

14. MorriSoft

OH!

Rofl. Thats alright then, i was like.. Uuuhh :shocked: What?!?!

:)

15. wavetech

wavetech Active Member

[they can and they do under the vero programme ebay do give virgin fraud buyers details if they are asked
    virgin then can join forces with the police and get a warrant under the theft act and search your premises
    take it from me this is not scamongery its fact!!i was raided many years ago by ntl and the police and they are allowed details as the euipment is theres and always is the property of the cable provider no matter if they tell you to bin it or whatever
    be warned and be very careful

quote=morrisoft;304667]Agreed!

Several friends had to wait upto 3 months just to get told the equipment was going to be collected, one still had the box + modem 5 months after cancellation!!

Virmin, full stop CANNOT ask for or be given details regarding purchases upon ebay or any other auction website. Its against DPA and would likely result in massive fines should they be caught doing so, not to mention how uneasy customers would feel knowing virmin were breaking the law regarding DPA - just not something they would risk, period.

If you recieve a letter from VM saying stuff regarding an unauthorised set top box, put the letter where it best belongs. The shredder, there have been several versions of this so called letter of knowledge from Virmin, and despite such, it is still the same scare tactic it was several years back when they first appeared.

Ebay full stop will not and have probably never done such a thing, as again the consequences would be dire! Do you really think these companies are going to risk butt-f***ing themselves just to catch out your average joe?

I think not.[/quote]

16. addyb

addyb Well-Known Member

u only have to bid on an item and then ur able to request the sellers full name, address and phone number... obviously you'd know if they had done that, as u get sent theres in return. but it just shows how easily ur information is to get hold of

17. MorriSoft

They would need evidence beyond reasonable doubt to be allowed access to your information, otherwise it would be in direct breach of the data protection act.

18. chwads2k8

chwads2k8 Well-Known Member

shud never giv em back shud jus tell him such a person doesnt live here anymore. Only thing u can mess up on like i did was watch tv using their subbd box with tb still on so they came around but still told em no box person dont live here. then i cut tb and all is cool.

19. Roco

Roco Well-Known Member

Tampering or selling a subbed box is just stupid , selling your subbed box on a online auction is the hight of stupidity :shocked:.

People seem to think vermin & ebay work together,if this is the case then why do ebay have a uk cable box section? Personally i think its all bull.

20. tariqz118

tariqz118 Well-Known Member

yeh mate its all bull bobbytheparrot is a new user and is just making up clown stories to scare people away from modding cc boxes dont be scared this guy is talking rubbish from hes a** lol :)